Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the biggest bet you ever put on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Tush

Mine was €20,000 Aussie's to beat England In cricket @ 1/2.
    Nice bet joe,very nice indeed.

I once put €10 on a horse and it lost,think that was my biggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 JoeSixpack

Biggest bet i've put on was €2000 on Chelsea to beat Everton.

Everton winning 2-1 up untill the 80th minute. Thought my money was gone so
    went outside for a smoke.

Just as i came back in saw it was 2-2 then all of a sudden Drogba unleashes this wonder strike! Finished 3-2

What a game!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

I presumed since they allowed goalscorer and winner they would of let me this one.

They didn't allow a double of top goalscorer and that goalscorer coming from the winning team. Called it a related bet. That's the way it was in Paddy Powers anyway but could have been different elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

They didn't allow a double of top goalscorer and that goalscorer coming from the winning team. Called it a related bet. That's the way it was in Paddy Powers anyway but could have been different elsewhere.
    Both bets are allowed and both bets are common, but they are related in that obviously one is dependent to a large degree on the other. Thus they give special odds on these bets. For example, Cannavaro 10/1 to be top player and Italy 2/1 for WC, normal accum price would be 32/1, but if Italy win the world cup, it's more likely that Fabio would take best player award, so the odds are reduced to probably 16/1 (I presume they just cut the price as they see fit, don't think there's any mathematics involved).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭iwincosimcool

2006-12-23
    19:11 2818566770 2006-12-23
    15:11 Fixtures 23 December Wigan v Chelsea / Match Odds / Chelsea
    Back 1,978.50 1.48 Won 949.68 2,928.18

Thought it was over when Heskey equalised, then Uncle robben came and saved the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'd assume a bet like that would lower the odds with that particualr bookie? Especially in Ireland, where I'd also imagine that cricket betting isn't a major source of income for the bookies. Don't suppose you noticed price after you placed the bet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Nothing better than winning against the ol' enemy ;)

DonJose wrote:
    Nothing better than winning against the ol' enemy ;)
    I prefer the english to the aussies! They're not as arrogant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

An awful lot of mickey waving, so I might as well join in.

December 9th 2005, after being refunded the money from FIFA for team-specific-tickets following Ireland's failure to qualify for the World Cup a mate and I decided to go anyway for a week. However we would need to double our money first.

http://file006a.bebo.com/large/2006/03/29/22/174871611a500533864b846931583l.jpg

Villa are incapable of winning the above fixture. Ever.

Park hit the post in the opening minutes before Van Nistelrooy put United up after about ten. Rooney doubled the lead five minutes into the second half. It was so typical United (being a Liverpool supporter I know how that feels!). I even sported a United jersey for the occassion. I have to say the way the game went I wasn't nervous at all, even though €1800 is big bucks for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

joebhoy that sounds strange that a bookies would give you 30k in cash. they always give cheques for anything that size. what firm was it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

An awful lot of mickey waving, so I might as well join in.

December 9th 2005, after being refunded the money from FIFA for team-specific-tickets following Ireland's failure to qualify for the World Cup a mate and I decided to go anyway for a week. However we would need to double our money first.

http://file006a.bebo.com/large/2006/03/29/22/174871611a500533864b846931583l.jpg

Villa are incapable of winning the above fixture. Ever.

Park hit the post in the opening minutes before Van Nistelrooy put United up after about ten. Rooney doubled the lead five minutes into the second half. It was so typical United (being a Liverpool supporter I know how that feels!). I even sported a United jersey for the occassion. I have to say the way the game went I wasn't nervous at all, even though €1800 is big bucks for me.

Great story Jivin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Went into the bookie's full of note's. :D

Just a thought - are gambling debts against a bookies able to be brought up in a court - i.e. if the bookie doesn't pay out I was under the impression you didn't have a legal leg to stand on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

jimi_t wrote:
    Just a thought - are gambling debts against a bookies able to be brought up in a court - i.e. if the bookie doesn't pay out I was under the impression you didn't have a legal leg to stand on

Yes thats true.

Same If you get credit off a bookie and you lose you dont pay him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

As joebhoy1916 said you haven't a leg to stand on.

As far as I'm aware it's not a legally binding agreement, just a verbal acceptance of a bet.

Have you been stung? If so get the bookies as much bag press as humanly possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭RaiseTheBlinds

Dun laoire wrote:
    Sure is.

I put 80 on a dog in laddys on the way home from work and was white as a ghost when the thing came nowhere. May as well've stayed in the trap. Little bollix.

A little bit of advice for those who back dogs.

If the dog takes a sh1t when it's making it's way to the traps id doesnt mean it's gonna win:D . Jaysus i taught it was a model when i seen it taking a dump. I mean what would the average grey hounds gick weigh?? Must be the bones of 3 ounces.

if a dog takes a dump on the way to the box,...im afraid that thing will definately not win.
    dog racing s much more fixed than the horses even !!
    the simple way to ensure your dog wont win is to feed it to the teeth before a race,... a dog can be tested for drugs, but food is perfectly legal, and a dog will scoff all in front of him.
    dogs like boxers should boil down to a light weight before racing.

biggest odds won : 12,500/1 with .01 euro earning me 125 euro.
    Bookies mistake ... and paid out :eek:
    they offered the same line twice in one coupon,... coupled with correct score on both those lines, making a whooping quadruple bet @ 12,500/1 instead of 33/1 .

payout being under 200euro,... no double-checking on ticket !!

biggest win prob 1200 euro again on boylesports, usa gp there were no michelin runners taking part,.... i got a jordan podium @ something like 100/1 , and coupled the minardis and jordans for points @ 16/1 and 12/1 doubles.

what bookies didnt figure was there was only 6 cars left in race with points going to the top 8 finishers. pity i could only lay my hands on 24 euro at the time.

im as straight as they get, but ive no prob hoodwinking the bookies, and average about 200euro a week doing it.

biggest bet was 4000 on ukraine to win , during world cup .... they were 4-0 up with about 4 minutes to go,...... and got odds of 1/2000 netting me a grand old profit of 2 euro.

also have had numerous 4-figure wagers on middle of the night boxing bets thats were already over.

biggest blunder : laying chelsea instead of backing them ....accident on betfair to tune of 700 euro. :(

goes around comes around.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

One pound ( nowadays it's one euro - worth less than the pound)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭kanibus

joker77 wrote:
    Friend of my brother's, before the World Cup, got odds of 8/1 on Italy.

Put 25,000 Euro on it...

Apparently he was unbearable to be around for the last 2 weeks of it, couldn't even leave the house!
    Yeah well...

I put 15 yo yos on Italy to win the World Cup at 9/1.
    You must remember Im 16 and I never left the fcuking house!
    I almost cried when they won:D

biggest blunder : laying chelsea instead of backing them ....accident on betfair to tune of 700 euro. :(
    QUOTE]
    I was ckecking the Edinburgh v Agen rugby game last fri night on betfair. Somebody had backed Edinburgh to win at 1.01 for 4K - they were hammered and in fact were always behind, obviously somebody fecked up - you'd be sick though!! But we've all done it (normally to a lesser extent).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Glenbhoy wrote:
    QUOTE]
    I was ckecking the Edinburgh v Agen rugby game last fri night on betfair. Somebody had backed Edinburgh to win at 1.01 for 4K - they were hammered and in fact were always behind, obviously somebody fecked up - you'd be sick though!! But we've all done it (normally to a lesser extent).

Some lad decided to lay Agen @ 2.74. Even when they went 7-0 up it was still available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Biggest bet - 500 on Real Madrid at just under evens at betfair. Biggest win was War of Attrition in the Gold Cup. 100 @ 8/1

Biggest loss - 400 on a frame of snooker (again in running) John Higgins potted blue to leave the other guy (forget his name) needed snookers. Lumped on at 1.05. Your man then got a snooker hiding beind the pocket, Higgins missed and went on to lose. Stupidest bet ever.

Also lost 300 on celebrity x factor thing after pressing back instead of lay. Another reason to despise Simon Colwell

BTW love the dogs story. Made me laugh out loud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Glenbhoy wrote:
    If you made that mistake you'd probably want the bet to lose. :D;)

biggest blunder on betfair i have seen was about 6 weeks ago,.... when somebody offered 1000/1 - 475 sterling on the 6/4 favourite, in running.

within 90 seconds,... he was down 475,000 sterling, or 735000 euro.

how would you sleep at night ???
    its on the betfair forum ,..... happened on a sunday 6 or 7 weeks ago.

all the regulars knew who it was, as theres only about a dozen regular horse punters who have that type of cash sitting in thier betfair account !!!

i dont feel too bad about my chelsea bet now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

biggest blunder on betfair i have seen was about 6 weeks ago,.... when somebody offered 1000/1 - 475 sterling on the 6/4 favourite, in running.

within 90 seconds,... he was down 475,000 sterling, or 735000 euro.

how would you sleep at night ???
    its on the betfair forum ,..... happened on a sunday 6 or 7 weeks ago.

all the regulars knew who it was, as theres only about a dozen regular horse punters who have that type of cash sitting in thier betfair account !!!

i dont feel too bad about my chelsea bet now :)

Saw that alright. His bot made a boo boo.

is that what happened ?..........

how can a bot do something like that ?....and did he come clean ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Was this a genuine major mistake or as it was in running did the horse lok so far out of it that he thought he could take a few bits with the temptation of 1000/1?

apparently it was a bot,...which is basically a program which will lock into sure fire profit when available.

the bet was offered at 1000/1 the very second the book opened for "in-running"
    allowing everybody who wished to place a bet of any amount to avail of 1000/1.

still, if you have that much in your betfair account, you must be fairly well off i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

apparently it was a bot,...which is basically a program which will lock into sure fire profit when available.

the bet was offered at 1000/1 the very second the book opened for "in-running"
    allowing everybody who wished to place a bet of any amount to avail of 1000/1.

still, if you have that much in your betfair account, you must be fairly well off i suppose.
    Just imagine being they guy who went to back at 2.5 (or whatever) to be given odds of 1000. Hope it was 47 tenners, spread the wealth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

There was a few posts from some of the people who managed to get some of the 999/1, lucky gits.

happens quite often, not at the same money though. There was about 2k traded @ 1.03 tonight for 7 goals or more in the Newcastle match.

• Advertisement

hope it ends up 4-3 :)

i made a few mistakes like that ,..... with one snooker bet turning all the way around and making me a nice healthy profit about a year ago........

couldnt understand where i won the money until i managed to track down the bet , which i had forgotten to cancel..........

rare bit o fortune

Advertisement