Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf GT TDI PD 150

Options
  • 05-01-2007 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Does anyone own or know much about this model? Good? Bad? Reliable? Sericing Costs? Mpg?

I've found an immaculate full spec (heated leather,climate,GTi Spec...) 2003 Mark 4 model in the U.K. with only 28,000 miles and it works out at €19,000. I'm really thinking of buying it.

But I'll have to get rid of my current car (Pajero) which is costing me a fortune to run. I reckon that the cost of changing would be in and around €10,000. And insurance for me is €2,370, fully comp. I estimate that I could save about €300 a year by buying the Golf, mainly in fuel! I got an insurance quote the other day just to see and I was suprised that they'd even quote me,thats what had me so interested in the 1st place.

Is this car worth the cost of changing (about €10,000)????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sounds viciously expensive to me. I know it's not the same car, but I brought in an 03 Golf 1.6 auto with leather, air, ESP, and 24,000 miles. That cost €13,500 landed in September 05. They are a good car though, although at that money i'd be looking at a 320d.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€19k for a 4 year old Golf diesel :eek:

Sounds very expensive to me. It's the old model. If you pay that now, you'll suffer more depreciation in the first year than on a brand new one, which has to be madness

Even on carzone with its inflated dealer prices, most are a lot cheaper than that. And that's before you get 1000s off in discount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

You'd be better off checking the price of the 130bhp model before you consider that, I'd say they'll be a nice bit cheaper, and not really a vast amount slower.
    If there was only a grand or two between them, then I'd go for it, but as the lads said, not at 19k. At that rate, you'd be better off waiting a year and getting the mk 5 2.0 tdi 140.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€19k for a 4 year old Golf diesel is lunacy imo. The 150bhp TDi is a very fast unit but it is nowhere worth near that money. I continue to be amazed at the silly prices people look for Golfs. Saying that there is always someone out there who will pay it.

As someone else said you would probably pick up a 2001/2002 BMW 320d for almost the same money.

If you really are set on the 150bhp PD TDi then have a look at the Seat Leon or VW Bora. This engine was also widely available in these models with similar spec in the UK but they cost a hell of alot less than the overpriced Golf.

Also look at the cheaper 130bhp version of the PD TDi. This engine can easily have an ECU remap done for a few hundred euro and that will bring the bhp up to or above 150bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Totally agree with Biro's and Bazz's posts.

The 130bhp model is actually a nicer car to drive, and doesnt suffer the same amount of turbo lag the 150hp models do. The 150hp engine gives out power in one huge dollop when you press on, which can make for wearisome driving after a while.
    The 130hp model is no slouch, and appears more responsive due to the smaller turbo spoolup time, and smaller turbo lag.

• Advertisement
Advertisement