Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!! Failed an elective?!

Options
  • 05-01-2007 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

What happens if you fail an elective?
    Can you repeat the module in semester 2 or do you automatically loose your 5 credits?
    I didn't get my results yet (like the rest of ye, i'm sure!) but know i failed as i didn't hand up an essay (worth 70%)..oopsie!!:eek:

What's gonna become of me?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

You can repeat with the repeat capped to the pass mark (usually 40%) or take another elective next semester on top of whatever else you're doing but I think you'd have to pay fees for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Pantsless

cant you just sit a repeat in the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Pantsless wrote:
    cant you just sit a repeat in the summer?

Yeah but it's capped at 40%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 PrincessFiona

I can't sit a repeat as there was no exam!! It was a module marked on attendace (30%) and a final essay (70%). Could i repeat the module if it's repeated in semester 2 or what way will that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I can't sit a repeat as there was no exam!! It was a module marked on attendace (30%) and a final essay (70%). Could i repeat the module if it's repeated in semester 2 or what way will that work?

What elective was it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Pantsless

wont they sit a repeat essay or an exam? i mean they have to have a repeat something. Im in the same boat , ****ed up a course and didnt hand in an essay .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

You're entitled to repeat any failed module so your respective department will have to make arrangements for you to repeat the module during the second semester. Considering your assessment comprised of an essay worth 70% I would imagine you would probably have to do another essay - or generally something similar and straightforward like that. Your module result will be capped at 40% - I can't say whether your attendance will count towards your capped grade but it probably will since you can't repeat attendance.

Contact your department and they will fill you in. All departments *should* have made procedures in the advent of students failing modules no matter what forms of assessment the module carries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

You could always do a different extra elective in S2 as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Umaro wrote:
    You could always do a different extra elective in S2 as well.

Which you have to pay for..

It's an English elective, on Yeats. Picked it coz i thought it would be handy...
    So i can repeat the module in Sm2? I don't wanna pay fees!!what if the times clash with my timetable?
    should i contact the dept. before results come out or wait until after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i'm planning on doing that Yeats elective next semester, whats it like? who teaches its?

Catriona Clutterbuck..it's good if your interested in Yeats. Most of the class were American/ other nationalities that were studying Irish lit. I had it Monday morning, attendance levels were not so good and i fell behind and ended up not doing the essay!
    But looks like i'll be makin up 4 that this semester!! :)

sounds ok, i did patrick kavanagh last semester and it was really good. one of the main english modules this semester has a load of yeats on it so i'm hoping for a nice easy crossover!

Yea Irish Lit. I'm gonna suffer a Yeats overdose!..Can't wait!! :D

hopefully nobody gets a yeats infection.....i'll get my coat

Advertisement