Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

I'll be starting to get my self build moving in the next two months, its a 3000sq ft dormer bungalow in westmeath.................

• Registered Users Posts: 49 EJD

siralfalot do you mind me asking how much you expect to build your house for? When you say self build will you be doing a lot of the work yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

building 2260 sq foot in galway

all going well, build cost 66 per sq meter, builders finish, not incl fees etc. basic cost from breaking soil to fully plastered out etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

gally74 wrote: »

all going well, build cost 66 per sq meter, builders finish, not incl fees etc. basic cost from breaking soil to fully plastered out etc.

66 per metre square?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eire1977

gally74 wrote: »

Gally74 - where abouts in Galway are you building? We've just started in north east galway and wouldn't mind a few names of plasterers, sparks, plumber, etc.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

no problem,

we are building near claregalway, we have all prices in at this point, yep that was a mistake, 66 per sq ft,

jst got the windows today, delighted in the end but theres a lot of crap out there,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Radon barrier is in and block on top done, so ready to pour floors this week if the weather allows.

best of luck villian,

looks lie a nice site, green field to the back,

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

snellers wrote: »
    scorpio girl please can you advise your current budget plans ( projected spend per sq/m ?) and basic spec you are expecting for it.

many thanks

sorry have been too busy chasing builders and the like to reply to this!! i didn't do a budget per square metre etc, i just priced all the tradesmen i need and their materials etc. i think it'll be costing me 785 per square metre, if i worked it out properly.

best of luck to 2010 House and Lucca, me too a single female!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Floors went in yesterday, turned out a great day went off a bit quick even I was out watering it yesterday evening. Nice finish on the garage and the sub floor is level and grand for a sub floor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 2010House

sorry have been too busy chasing builders and the like to reply to this!! i didn't do a budget per square metre etc, i just priced all the tradesmen i need and their materials etc. i think it'll be costing me 785 per square metre, if i worked it out properly.

best of luck to 2010 House and Lucca, me too a single female!

Best of Luck Scorpio Girl, I'm waiting upon the planning decision, due the 19th of May so then its off to chase the prices from the trades!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cinny

i am hoping to start my self build next month 2000sq foot bungalow in west wicklow by direct labour. havent got a clue about a lot of things trying to learn fast. can anyone tell me what they think of under floor heating and a geothermal system and can they recommend a supplier. also can u use wooden floors with under floor heating.
    also anyone any info on doing a wet room?
    dazed and confused:confused:

cinny wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what they think of under floor heating also anyone any info on doing a wet room?

I got a self installed system and it works well, I have never yet set it above the minimum settings.
    This is because the system was specced by the supplier who assumed (despite being told otherwise) that the minimum levels of insulation were to be used in the house, I have exceeded the required amounts of insulation throught.

edit: the only issue I have had is, is that people expect the floor to be "warm", in a well insulated house the floor only gets up to about 25C this doesn't feel "warm", but the house is warm.

As for the wetroom, I purchased a "tanking kit" from a bathroom tile supplier and have had no problems, the main thing is to insure that you have an adequate fall in the floor towards the drain, otherwise you could end up with ponding on the floor. Mosaic tiles work much better than large format tiles as you need to follow the contours of the floor to the drain.

cinny wrote: »
    i am hoping to start my self build next month 2000sq foot bungalow in west wicklow by direct labour. havent got a clue about a lot of things trying to learn fast. can anyone tell me what they think of under floor heating and a geothermal system and can they recommend a supplier. also can u use wooden floors with under floor heating.
    also anyone any info on doing a wet room?

Cinny, Just make sure its a reputable installer if getting geothermal system in. Neighbour got it installed last year when building and the first esb bill was €2k, the second bill was €1500!!! Something seriously wrong there but the bills still have to be paid to the ESB. Installer is bit of a cowboy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 varianinc1

Hi All
    I am in the process of building a 3500 sq foot house and decided to get the outside plastered with white sand and cement as i wouldnt need to paint it for years however 2 months on from when the job was done i noticed cracks and now all the plaster has to come off has anyone heard of this happening before?
    needless to say i was not happy with the plasterer and i am sure we will fall out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

varianinc1 wrote: »
    Hi All
    I am in the process of building a 3500 sq foot house and decided to get the outside plastered with white sand and cement as i wouldnt need to paint it for years however 2 months on from when the job was done i noticed cracks and now all the plaster has to come off has anyone heard of this happening before?
    needless to say i was not happy with the plasterer and i am sure we will fall out!!
    You have already posted this in the DIY forum so one of the posts can go. Which one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

varianinc1 wrote: »
    Hi All

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055288856

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

12th May 2008
    Planning received after 6 months!!!

Ill post once we get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

12th May 2008

Now your real problems begin. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Slates

Started striping the site on 25/04/08, plumber is coming tomorrow to first fix the ground floor which we will be pouring on Sat, very happy with progress so far...............lost half a stone !

• Advertisement

Slates wrote: »
    very happy with progress so far...............lost half a stone !
    Don't worry... you'll soon put it back when the house is up! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭metalscrubber

12th May 2008

Obviously I don't but I have to say - I hate you.

4 years I've being dancing the planners dance and we're not there yet.
    There is light in the tunnel however.

Hopefully we'll cross swords / compare notes / comfort each other thro' our builds in the months to come

Good luck,

Metal

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Well all I can say is I have lost lots of hair and the remainder has turned gray thanks to Meath Co Co.
    Best of Luck Metal.
    Oh where abouts are you building?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lorzyd

Hi there,
    Just wondering if anyone knows any good builders in down west,
    looking to build soon,,(if i get planning))fingers and toes crossed..
    as for plannig there should be an ombudsman for all those planners and an taisce,,

lorzyd wrote: »
    as for plannig there should be an ombudsman for all those planners and an taisce,,
    There is an ombudsman's office for planning/local authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lorzyd

Really,,I didnt know,,thanks.
    is it for each county,,and how is he contactable..

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Hello there,

I'm pretty much half way through my self build in beautiful county of Mayo, so I thought I'd introduce myself....
    Here's some pics of the work so far....
    The house is an ICF construction, using the Amvic block system, and so far (aside from the planning process which was like pulling teeth) it has been a very quick and easy build. We are just starting first fix electrics and plumbing this week....

I'll keep you updated...

Cheers,
    Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭gummibear

How do all,
    about to break ground on 2700sq. ft. dormer in West Waterford in the next fortnight. Have found lots of useful threads to date on here so will try to keep updated on progress, problems (bound to be one or two...ahem!) etc. Roughly 9 months build-time put on the job so will be interesting to see how it goes. If we in for Christmas 09 we will be happy I suppose... nothing like being ambitious ... :p look forward to feedback on all issues over coming months, cheers

• Advertisement

Planning came back for further information yesterday but want me to shove the house to a lower part of the field, the front of house would then be facing a dirty ditch. Or else change the house to a single storey house!!! €5k for architect and percolation (ripped off I've been told!!) and he's of no help. Architect said he can't work on it for at least 3 weeks??? Think he's forgotten about the 5k given to him. Doing this project on my own, so any more money spent at this stage is down the drain, its eating any savings I have!!! Council querying the entrance which is ridiculous, down a lane with my home parents farm and one other neighbour. All 2 storey houses around me and now they want me to reduce the size of my 2 storey house even though its not on top of the hill. Meeting the council on the 13th June to see what options I have before I submit the further info. Very disappointed with architect, he saw no problem with the site and house on it.

Advertisement