Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Baud how did you do the large gable window in picture 3 down, did you use steel??

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Yeah...

It is some sort of boxed steel construction, if you click on pics 6 and 7 you can get a better view of it from the outside as they have not done the stone yet.

Even the big one was suprisingly light, we used it in the two rear gables and the small arched window at the front.

We are getting a guy in to do the basement and ground floor ceilings with the gypsum system. Seen it done in a house recently and it looks very good. Builder done his own house recently with battons, he said never again...

B.

Looks good Baud, do you know where you got them and what they cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 2010House

That site looks beautiful. A Bungalow on it will still be perfect, not too many sites as good as that. I've further information gone back in since last week and awaiting on answer in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hagler

hi guys. I am in the early stages of organising a self build in connemara. Met with an engineer last week and he says the prices have not come down much at all because local builders have still regular work. talking about €200K to build a 4 bed dormer of 2,000sqft by direct labour or contractor. He says not much difference between the two. Is this reasonable? Also just wondering if a dormer is a bit cramped for space upstairs?
    Appreciate any help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Piggy Number 2

Hello everybody,
    have spent the last 6 hours reading this thread from the beginning-slow reader!. It's very good and very helpful.
    Anyway myself and my partner are planning to build a timberframe house in the next couple of months- we are importing the timberframe house. got the idea from a friend, saw his and we were impressed. it comes really well insulated, with triple glazed/aluminium clad /wooden windows, air tight all the rest.(well in keeping with new regulations) we are currently in the process of looking for someone to do the ground works/ raft foundation- the pre timberframe arrival work.
    I was wondering should i go ahead and get the water connected and get in touch with esb asap. does that take long to get sorted?Don't want to slow process when could be getting that kind of stuff done.
    we are a mile from a little village and close enough to other houses so it's not in the sticks as such!(for service connections)
    Anyway thats all for now.any advice at all appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 46,085 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hello everybody,
    have spent the last 6 hours reading this thread from the beginning-slow reader!. It's very good and very helpful.
    Anyway myself and my partner are planning to build a timberframe house in the next couple of months- we are importing the timberframe house. got the idea from a friend, saw his and we were impressed. it comes really well insulated, with triple glazed/aluminium clad /wooden windows, air tight all the rest.(well in keeping with new regulations) we are currently in the process of looking for someone to do the ground works/ raft foundation- the pre timberframe arrival work.
    I was wondering should i go ahead and get the water connected and get in touch with esb asap. does that take long to get sorted?Don't want to slow process when could be getting that kind of stuff done.
    we are a mile from a little village and close enough to other houses so it's not in the sticks as such!(for service connections)
    Anyway thats all for now.any advice at all appreciated
    You will need planning permission before you can apply for water and electrical connections.

we have planning permission

hagler wrote: »
    hi guys. I am in the early stages of organising a self build in connemara. Met with an engineer last week and he says the prices have not come down much at all because local builders have still regular work. talking about €200K to build a 4 bed dormer of 2,000sqft by direct labour or contractor. He says not much difference between the two. Is this reasonable? Also just wondering if a dormer is a bit cramped for space upstairs?
    Appreciate any help.
    I have no idea what building costs would be in lovely Connemara but I would have thought that going down the direct labour route would save you at least 15% on a full contract price.

As regards dormers being cramped upstairs - well it really depends on what you consider the word "cramped" to mean. You are of course loosing approx. half of the full ceiling height but whats the alternative? You may not get PP for 1.5 or 2 storey house and a bungalow will probably be dearer to build at the same floor area.

Do you mean 4 bedrooms total or 4 on the ground floor? If its the former then there is no reason (and highly recommended) that you would have at least one bedroom on the ground floor and the remainder on the first floor. At 2000 sq. ft. you should end up with at least 2 decent size bedrooms upstairs.

we have planning permission
    Good. There can be a delay at times in getting connected to the services so the sooner you make the applications the better. It will also be important to have a water supply on site for the builders.

• Advertisement

thanks- just got the forms today and and they want to know what type of heating/heat pump you want and we haven't totally decided yet so was wondering how can i apply if can't fill up these sections-anyway think will go to our electician for his advice -he might know way round these sections!rolleyes.gif

thanks- just got the forms today and and they want to know what type of heating/heat pump you want and we haven't totally decided yet so was wondering how can i apply if can't fill up these sections-anyway think will go to our electician for his advice -he might know way round these sections!rolleyes.gif
    That particular section of the form only needs to be completed if you are proposing to install a heat pump.

This recent thread may be of some help and then again it may not as there isnt a lot of detail in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mighty mush

Hi lads, We are starting the blocks on friday and have not yet decided on the insulation. We are thinking on getting it pumped in. could anyone give us a hand on this one. We have had pros and cons on foam and beads. which one would ye go for, thanks lads

Thanks a million-you're most helpful
    Also got a quote for a supply, deliver and install a domestic waste water and effluent treatment system for E4800 plus vat
    but client responsibilities are
    1. excavation of hole,
    2. percolation area
    3. provision of electrical supply to unit and control panel
    Who do I get to do these jobs? Does your plumber do first two and electrician the 3rd or somebody else?
    Also what stage do you start setting up sewerage system
    I have been trying to get a step by step timetable so I'm on track and nobody is waiting on anybody else or nobody is saying "Oh you should have organised that months ago" but finding it hard.
    Anyway at the moment going to get water connected, esb connected, then site clearance and initial ground works and then raft foundations for timberframe structure. Does waste treatment come next? and plumber first fixing and electrician first fixing?
    anybody got a very very very detailed step by step account of managing direct labour. Have the time for all the phonecalls and organising but need an extremely detailed timetable so i don't forget anything. Okay i think ye get the message. Sorry for going on...redface.gif

I'd ask who ever is doing the foundations if they can excavate the hole for the tank and also do the percolation area.

muffler wrote: »
    I have no idea what building costs would be in lovely Connemara but I would have thought that going down the direct labour route would save you at least 15% on a full contract price.

As regards dormers being cramped upstairs - well it really depends on what you consider the word "cramped" to mean. You are of course loosing approx. half of the full ceiling height but whats the alternative? You may not get PP for 1.5 or 2 storey house and a bungalow will probably be dearer to build at the same floor area.

Do you mean 4 bedrooms total or 4 on the ground floor? If its the former then there is no reason (and highly recommended) that you would have at least one bedroom on the ground floor and the remainder on the first floor. At 2000 sq. ft. you should end up with at least 2 decent size bedrooms upstairs.

Apparently the foundation could cost around 30K because of the rocky ground out there. Think that is a bit excessive. I was hoping to put a small detached garage up also but might have to scratch that idea. Prob add on another 10-20K. Also told we prob wont get permission for 2 storey. Most of the houses out there are dormer/single storey. Meeting the engineer next week to draw up house plans. Still not 100% sure whether to go with dormer or bungalow. Would definitely only have 2 bedrooms upstairs max with the dormer. My head is all over the place already and we barely started!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭gummibear

hagler wrote: »
    Appreciate any help.

Howdy, am about a month into self-build of 237 sq.m 4 bed dormer with contractor. (downstairs is about 160 sq. m) including garage it is coming in at about 255- 260k at the mo. that is with fairly high spec insulation, and 32 sq m garage. two beds downstairs and a study which may yet become a nursery (sprog no. 2 due in January) and 2 beds upstairs (one very good size with en-suite + W.I.W.) other one good size too but may become study/escape room... would def recommend dormer over bungalow if 2 storey not allowed as was case for us. having all that attic space in a bungalow and a bigger footprint for heating etc. just doesnt make sense for me
    Prices haven't dropped by much as mentioned above and materials esp insulation etc have risen so its swings and roundabouts. we got one quote of 320k w/out garage... came on 2 A4 pages hand-written so as you can manage it was used to light a nice fire in March!:D Just get as detailed a quote as possible and decide from there whether to go direct or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭gummibear

Oh and forgot to say thanks to whoever figured out how to turn off rain!!! finally pumped water out of footings and sub-floors poured last week. the only way is up now... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cinny

having last minute doubts over heating system. had originally planned to go with horizontal geothermal system, however recently talked to a friend who recommended an air to heat system, last cost, less problems and less space. has anyone any experience of them or any views

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mighty mush

We are building in Co.Waterford and we need to buy scaffolding to fit a one story 2200sq-f. Anyone out there selling at a good price please.

• Advertisement

cinny wrote: »
    having last minute doubts over heating system. had originally planned to go with horizontal geothermal system, however recently talked to a friend who recommended an air to heat system, last cost, less problems and less space. has anyone any experience of them or any views
    There are a few threads on this issue in this forum and also in the Renewable Energies sub forum if you want to have root around.

gummibear wrote: »
    Howdy, am about a month into self-build of 237 sq.m 4 bed dormer with contractor. (downstairs is about 160 sq. m) including garage it is coming in at about 255- 260k at the mo. that is with fairly high spec insulation, and 32 sq m garage. two beds downstairs and a study which may yet become a nursery (sprog no. 2 due in January) and 2 beds upstairs (one very good size with en-suite + W.I.W.) other one good size too but may become study/escape room... would def recommend dormer over bungalow if 2 storey not allowed as was case for us. having all that attic space in a bungalow and a bigger footprint for heating etc. just doesnt make sense for me
    Prices haven't dropped by much as mentioned above and materials esp insulation etc have risen so its swings and roundabouts. we got one quote of 320k w/out garage... came on 2 A4 pages hand-written so as you can manage it was used to light a nice fire in March!:D Just get as detailed a quote as possible and decide from there whether to go direct or not.

Thanks for that gummibear.
    Ya i think we will go for the dormer with 2 bedrooms upstairs and 2 down. Viewed a dormer house a couple of weeks ago just to get an idea but it had 3 bedrooms upstairs and a tiny bathroom. Defo not big enough for that many rooms upstairs.
    Good luck with your build and keep us posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 MD1

We're about half way there with our 2 storey/dormer style house. Roof is going on at the moment. It took months to get out of the ground as we had to put in pile foundations, but since the slab was poured we've been making steady progress. Its unbelievable how many hiccups / decisions crop up along the way!

Hi MD1,
    Good luck with your build. Say its a relief to see some progress now. Seems the foundation can be the tricky part to get over both time wise and financially.
    Did you go with a contractor or direct? What size sq.ft and how many rooms are you building?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 MD1

Thankfully we went with a builder, with both of us working full time I don't think we could have managed going direct! Even with that its been pretty hectic. We're building a 3,800 sq ft dormer. One ensuite bedroom downstairs, 4 up & a study/nursery. We're building an integrated garage which started out for the car but is fast becoming the home for other stuff like heat pump, vacuum unit etc. We've decided to go for vertical collector geothermal heating with a multifuel stove in the living room. We're doubling up on insulation and considering going for warm edge spacers in our double galzing to increase u value. We've a lot of glass, so hoping this will help keep the house warmer. We also intend putting a folding sliding door in our living room...researching suppliers for this at the moment.We went for a passive house theme in that we put living rooms & windows facing the south side of the house with the utility room & Garage facing north. Hoping the build will be finished by the end of February. (Weather Permitting!!)

MD1,
    Sounds like a lovely home you are building there. Hope it goes well for you. Keep us posted how you are getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DMARTINGTI

Best of luck to all of you, It's a major undertaking. I've just poured the foundations on my project. I'm adding 200sqm of two storey to wrap around my existing cottage. I'm going with light gauge steel frame and Quinn lite block outer skin. Looking forward to seeing it going up, sick of demolition and clean up.

DMARTINGTI wrote: »
    Best of luck to all of you, It's a major undertaking. I've just poured the foundations on my project. I'm adding 200sqm of two storey to wrap around my existing cottage. I'm going with light gauge steel frame and Quinn lite block outer skin. Looking forward to seeing it going up, sick of demolition and clean up.
    Keep us updated and maybe post a few pics - can be helpful to others.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DMARTINGTI

Thanks Muffler,
    I'm going to photo document it step by step so I'll post the various stages as I go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 cinny

can any one recommend where i can get an external hardwood door approx 6foot wide. i want side lights and small elicpitical box on top. thanks

Advertisement