Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Thanks Muffler,
    So he'll just need the Engineer to sign off on the build, to prove it was built to the plans..?

thanks again lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,085 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ArraMusha wrote: »
    Thanks Muffler,
    So he'll just need the Engineer to sign off on the build, to prove it was built to the plans..?

thanks again lad.
    Thats basically it.

Just ensure that the engineer has P.I. insurance cover and is competent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GoOnTaigh

ArraMusha wrote: »
    Hi, the brother is building at home on farm and has got planning. He has saved up for the build and wants to know if he needs an Engineer throughout the build? or just to sign-off on it? Any advise would be great

My understanding is that you will need a qualified person to sign off the build, someone like a Structural Engineer or Architect. This person will need to inspect the build at the various stages before they can sign it off so you will need someone throughout the building phase. Its well worth the money in my view. I got quotes of 400 Euro per inspection, think it will need about 5 inspections.

GoOnTaigh wrote: »
    My understanding is that you will need a qualified person to sign off the build, someone like a Structural Engineer or Architect. This person will need to inspect the build at the various stages before they can sign it off so you will need someone throughout the building phase. Its well worth the money in my view. I got quotes of 400 Euro per inspection, think it will need about 5 inspections.
    If he has a mortgage he will need someone to supervise and sign off. Other than that its optional but most certainly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I agree with the above. Shop around for a competitive fee.
    Try a Technician in private practice, with full PI Insurance.

Another very important point - Legally your brother is responsible to ensure the structure complies fully with the Build Regulations. The onus is on him not the Builder, to ensure compliance of design, detail & material used. (The builder / worker must ensure his Workmanship complies)

Does your brother have any expertise in this area?
    If not, retain a Professional!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Thanks lads, I passed on the advise above to him, he's going with a engineer in Galway. The main reason is the markout of the site and design of the foundation was a concern for him as its a 2 storey. He's just waiting on a price tonight from the engineer (cash) which might be competitive? So far he got a blocklayer for 6,500 which isn't bad. Will hopefully be breaking clay next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jor3000

Just got planning permission - and found this site - totally awesome - this site, not the planning .... that was just a long drawn out pain. Really looking forward to the next 12 months ......... or however long it takes :confused::confused:

Now I just gotta figure out where to start, but from the posts I've seen here there's plenty of advice and experience!

jor3000 wrote: »
    Just got planning permission - and found this site - totally awesome - this site, not the planning .... that was just a long drawn out pain. Really looking forward to the next 12 months ......... or however long it takes :confused::confused:

Now I just gotta figure out where to start, but from the posts I've seen here there's plenty of advice and experience!
    Good news on the planning front. Welcome to the forum.

You should find plenty of tips and advice in this thread and in the "How long did yer build take" thread which is also stickied on the front page. There are also loads of individual threads discussing a large variety of topics. Just use the search feature to locate something that is of interest to you or if you are stuck on anything start a new thread and the guys will be glad to offer advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

Hey,
    i'm just about to start a self build 2 storey 2800sq ft house in kerry.
    looking to do up a fairly detailed budget.
    has anyone got ball park materials prices?
    going for concrete block walls, precast concrete 1st floor, concrete mini-tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Currently doing a self build, dormer, 2300sq ft, we went the stick build route, excellent watching the guys build the house onsite, it was like the Amish at work. Exterior plastered and finished, currently plasterboarding interior, have yet biocycle to install and some minor groundworks outside to do. At the moment i'm looking for interior doors, got quoted 2,813 inc vat for 9, prehung oak style doors, with red deal surround. Seems a lot do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

At the moment i'm looking for interior doors, got quoted 2,813 inc vat for 9, prehung oak style doors, with red deal surround. Seems a lot do you think?

we got 6 panel oak veneer (not really veneer but are faced with oak with pine inside) doors for 99 euro each. the brother in law did all the chippening so im not too sure how much it would cost.

red deal architrave? it mightn't look the best having a red deal architrave and oak doors. we went all oak for skirting, architrave(solid for both) and doors.

Hey,
    i'm just about to start a self build 2 storey 2800sq ft house in kerry.
    looking to do up a fairly detailed budget.
    has anyone got ball park materials prices?
    going for concrete block walls, precast concrete 1st floor, concrete mini-tiles.

we built a storey and a half with hollowcore. size is 3200 and it cost 260000 so 81.25 euro per sq ft.
    hope that gives you an idea.

thekooman wrote: »
    we got 6 panel oak veneer (not really veneer but are faced with oak with pine inside) doors for 99 euro each. the brother in law did all the chippening so im not too sure how much it would cost.

red deal architrave? it mightn't look the best having a red deal architrave and oak doors. we went all oak for skirting, architrave(solid for both) and doors.

well was planning on painting the red deal architrave, and saving a few squids as oak surrounds more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

thekooman wrote: »
    we built a storey and a half with hollowcore. size is 3200 and it cost 260000 so 81.25 euro per sq ft.
    hope that gives you an idea.

In what region did you build Kooman? I'm starting the process now in Kerry & was hoping to see lower sq ft prices than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DMARTINGTI

Steel frame structure arrived 2 weeks ago. Really starting to see progress now. Guys should be finished in a few days on the frame. Great to get going after so many rain delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Get those lads some hard hats !

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DMARTINGTI

fishfoodie wrote: »
    Get those lads some hard hats !

I'll pass that on to the foreman.

Seamu$ wrote: »
    In what region did you build Kooman? I'm starting the process now in Kerry & was hoping to see lower sq ft prices than that!
    built in mayo Seamus.
    3200 sq ft house & 800 sq ft garage.

sent a PM with some details of prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Clonbore1

We're plastering internally on dormer style bungalow in Westmeath - just got quote from CoCo to hook us up to group water scheme of €25,000 (€100 per metre - 250 metres from nearest house). After paying "Developers Contribution" of approx €4,000 before we started thinking this would cover the water etc, are in a complete state of shock - definitely not covered in the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

€25,000

Fcuk that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Clonbore1 wrote: »
    We're plastering internally on dormer style bungalow in Westmeath - just got quote from CoCo to hook us up to group water scheme of €25,000 (€100 per metre - 250 metres from nearest house). After paying "Developers Contribution" of approx €4,000 before we started thinking this would cover the water etc, are in a complete state of shock - definitely not covered in the budget

Is there room for a well/

Well is an option but worried about maintenance - heard stories about having to use chemicals monthly, testing, lime etc. Either way still a cost we didnt anticipate!

A well over 20 years would never cost near 25k, a well wil cost about 3k to start with and then a water treatment system about anotehr 1k and after that an service every year or two, I would definitely go for a well, I reckon a well over 10 years would cost about 8k max and likely about 5k

A well is an option but heard stories about maintenance ie adding chemicals monthly, testing the water, lime - seems like a lot of work!

A well is an option but heard stories about maintenance ie adding chemicals monthly, testing the water, lime - seems like a lot of work!

Its simple you pay someone to install the well, you pay someone to test it and then you pay them to put in a treatment system. Add salt every month. For a few phone calls you save about 20k.

If your that lazy then work away and pay 25k for water

New to all this, sorry for repeating myself! Thanks Villian will definitely look into well - still so shell shocked by CoCo that can't think straigh:eek:

No bother

Is that €25k for digging up the road? Most of the approved contractors are indipendant operators may be worth speaking to an individual digger operator you may be able to negociate a better price, you'll still need an approved contractor to make the connection.

100 euro per metre! That's crazy! Are they mining for gold whilst at it?? Did you question them? If it's a group water scheme, contact the head of it, we had to, and didnt deal with coco at all. We got a local guy with a digger to help. Of course you must be in total shock, we all plan for budget slip ups, but 25k is an amount not many can simply come up with. I hope you find a solution.

• Advertisement

just got quote from CoCo to hook us up to group water scheme of €25,000 (€100 per metre - 250 metres from nearest house).
    Can you elaborate a little on what exactly is involved here please.
    Is this fee for the council to lay a pipe and make the connection.
    What size pipe is it?
    If its a group water scheme why are the council involved?
    Do you intend laying the pipe along the road/verge?
    Have you looked at the possibility of taking it through a field (if thats applicable)?
    Have you discussed this with the council? They have been known to make mistakes (hardly needs stating)

Generally provide as much info as possible.

Advertisement