Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Yes,

I done one up a long time ago using Builddesk. I need to revisit it though and go through it with the contractor. There is a fair amount of insulation going into that house !

P.

Suggestions and ideas are always welcome ! Though I would guess you have written enough and then some on this particular topic on this forum... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭metalscrubber

Sid, you asked - 3. were the boxed eaves the fascia / soffit guys idea???
    Why? Is it much easier to build the box ?
    I keep asking for no boxes, but everytime I see a new set of drawings they have reappeared and I have to ask again.

And Baud, that is a damn fine looking house.
    Could you PM with details of your window supplier please.

Regards,

Metal

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

ms - Thanks !

Also PM sent....

Best regards, P.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭gummibear

haven't updated in months but lots of progress. Construction finished. Electricity on last week, UFH being finished as we speak. Gas tank arriving in next few days. Get the heat on GRADUALLY for few weeks and then hoping to tile floors of bathrooms so plumber can put in suites. (Tile crowd recommended BAL quickset flexible for tiles... Does this sound right for the job???) Plan is to have heat on for 2 weeks then off for 2 days and do the tiling! Seems to be the recommended way to go about it. Buys me few weeks too as sprog no. 2 was due last Monday but must be a tradesperson ... no sign yet :D
    Anyway our plan is to get house drying out, get builder out and spend few weeks putting down floors myself! (Dad prob help with tiling-has lot of eperience TG) Any recommendations on how to proceed welcome! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Well for you Gummibear...!!

Wish I was at that stage.....got foundations poured on Wednesday and it took way more cement than we thought so already over Budget...:eek:

It can only get better, can't it:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭scotsmarc

Hi Guys,

I have decided to build on a site i have acquired in Offaly and as there seems to be a lot of information sharing i thought some of you guys might be able to help on some decisions i need to make.

1)I see a lot of discussion on price per sqft and was wondering what the cost saving would be in building a 2 story over a 1 story per sqft? I am looking at a standard builders finish. we are looking at building a 1800 sq ft single storey or a 2500 sqft 2 storey

2) We have been granted outline planning permission. Any ideas how long it takes to get full planning permission after we have submitted drawings (as long as there are no objections)

3) What do you think would be a reasonable time to expect completion from the builders?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

scotsmarc wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have decided to build on a site i have acquired in Offaly and as there seems to be a lot of information sharing i thought some of you guys might be able to help on some decisions i need to make.

1)I see a lot of discussion on price per sqft and was wondering what the cost saving would be in building a 2 story over a 1 story per sqft? I am looking at a standard builders finish. we are looking at building a 1800 sq ft single storey or a 2500 sqft 2 storey

2) We have been granted outline planning permission. Any ideas how long it takes to get full planning permission after we have submitted drawings (as long as there are no objections)

3) What do you think would be a reasonable time to expect completion from the builders?
    Where in Offaly? I'm currently just starting in Rhode.

We applied for FPP and we waited 8 weeks which is stated on the application, Some people reckon it can be obtained after five weeks but we had to wait the full 8. We then got a request for FI, two minor things and that took another 4 weeks, and then 4 more just to clear with the planning authority. Thats 16 weeks start to finish. I'm currently hopinf to build in Offaly for €65-€70 per sq feet but thats maybe a bit optimistic, and plus mine is a very basic build. Check here for a set of guidelines to designs favoured by the planning committee.(pdf file) Its well worth a read and might give you an idea of what they are granting.

Start to finish for the build I'd allow a year to be sure but this varies on what route you take and how lucky you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 thunderRoad

Hi Quazie2002,
    Think the design/build by commitee is a great idea, best of luck, loads of good opinions on here, would say i'm roughly at the same stage as yourself, can't believe how long it's taking solicitors, banks, etc to get the whole thing started, was just wondering if u finalised the wall construction, my dad is also a blocklayer, was thinkin of using;
    100mm outer leaf
    40mm air
    100mm kingspan/similar
    150/125 quinlite,
    finding it hard to get info (non vested interest) on the quinlite,

i'll look forward to ur posts
    again, best of luck...

Hi Quazie2002,
    Think the design/build by commitee is a great idea, best of luck, loads of good opinions on here, would say i'm roughly at the same stage as yourself, can't believe how long it's taking solicitors, banks, etc to get the whole thing started, was just wondering if u finalised the wall construction, my dad is also a blocklayer, was thinkin of using;
    100mm outer leaf
    40mm air
    100mm kingspan/similar
    150/125 quinlite,

i'll look forward to ur posts
    again, best of luck...
    Thanks.

I'm thinking of similar.
    100mm outer leaf
    40mm air
    110mm kingspan/similar
    215 inner leaf,
    I've considered Quinnlite but like yourself have only heard the salesman 'speech' and I couldn't justify the price, expecially as like yourself my dad is in the trade and is getting a great deal on the blocks. I've yet to finalize this exactly but for me its looking the best option at the moment.

P.S the 215 inner leaf is for structural reasons becasue I am having a concrete first floor and I believe it'll help in terms of the geothermal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

150/125 quinlite,

Why? Aercrete blocks have been used for years in the UK. Very well known tried and tested, trusted technology! (I've nothing to do with Quinn) I'm surprised they aren't used more in Ireland.

Scotsmarc, the main thought regarding Passive house design is that bungalows are less efficient than two storey - heat rises!

Good luck in both your builds.

• Advertisement

Just finding it hard to get a builder who has built with them, or a plasterer who has plastered onto them,

also my engineer thought there might be issues with the wall plate straps not holding securely enough,

think i'm going to go ahead with them anyway, as long as engineer says its ok

They are made of aluminium, ash and conc. The ash reacts with aluminium in oven to create air bubbles. So they can dry out plaster and mortar faster that traditional blocks.

Wallplate straps should not be an issue. There strengths are well known and well documented. Get your Engineer to contact Quinn or similar for data.

Some Blocklayers charge less to lay per block because they are lighter - easier and faster to move and possibly lay so faster build time.

Maybe you'll need tradespeople who have worked in the uk!

Good luck

Can you comment RKQ on the price difference between standard blocks and Arcrete Blocks. I honestly don't know but am very curious

Can you comment RKQ on the price difference between standard blocks and Arcrete Blocks. I honestly don't know but am very curious

I've no idea of cost per unit. Quinlite are more expensive than ordinary blocks but they have many advantages over standard blocks. Much better u-values can be achieved by using them.

As standards for limiting heat loss increase they are becoming very cost effective and may become "standard" in the future.

thanks guys,
    quazzie2002 i'll pm quotes i got for 150mm and 100mm,

also got qoutes for quinntherm can send them on if you'd like

thanks guys,
    quazzie2002 i'll pm quotes i got for 150mm and 100mm,

also got qoutes for quinntherm can send them on if you'd like
    Thanks a million I'd really appreciate it.

Edit: thunderRoad sent me a pm with some uselful information. Thanks again.

Quazzie - We are building just outside Ballycumber. Have you had many quotes for your build yet? Have you decided on a builder yet?

Thanks for sending a link for the guidelines and we hope that the designs we are looking at fit with the planners. We have outline planning for a single or 2 storey building and as the site is 3 acres and surrounded by high trees we should have a fair bit of flexibility on the final build design.

RKQ – thanks for the info, we were trying to understand I there would be a significant cost saving in going with a 2 storey as you would have to put down smaller foundations for the same sq ft

scotsmarc wrote: »
    Quazzie - We are building just outside Ballycumber. Have you had many quotes for your build yet? Have you decided on a builder yet?
    I'm going direct labour with my dad doing Blocklaying and overseeing most of the build, with me hot on his heels making sure he does it right.

I'm compiling prices at the moment from various block manufacturers, and concrete suppliers etc. I'll hopefully have a pretty comprehensive list soon enough and I'll forward all details on via PM. Best of luck with the build btw

Quazzie - thanks a mil that will be a great help. I am considering using direct labour for the project as well. still trying to decide if this is the best plan. I hope it all goes well for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 palyitsafe

having just read the various posts i just completed my first house build & moved in 6 weeks ago completely finished.i had a company on board that i was there first complete house build & what a result!the rule of thumb does tend to be €100 per ft2 our house is nearly 4000ft2 in all,with this company it worked out about €75-80 a sq foot fully furnished!thats not even scrimping on the finish,its all sandstone on 3 sides of the house,the roof was very complicated & required 7000 large roof slates & ridge tiles(natural slates) oak doors skirting etc on the inside.as i knew the project manager we locked heads & really spent time sourcing material.he was great at getting contacts & through his other company he has made loads of skilled contractors.but anyone that has come into our house cant believe we have the finish we have for the cost!so if anyone wants a very good company who will do anything from foundations to painting your finished house i would definitely recommend them,they may only be new but they dont overcharge & they use quality materials <SNIP> & if you have any money left over their other business is paving etc & thankfully we mananged to do our path around the house in indian sandstone we are absolutely delighted with their work,we'd highly recommend them.the problem is there are so many established builders out there that smaller ones tend to be ignored,we took the gamble & it really paid off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Hello there,
    Picture update of my build in Mayo... Nearly there, builders should be off site end of March....

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dunie001

so if anyone wants a very good company who will do anything from foundations to painting your finished house i would definitely recommend them,they may only be new but they dont overcharge & they use quality materials <SNIP>

Be careful of what you post...you shouldn't be promoting businesses in the forum...boards.ie don't like it (as far as I'm aware anyway)

If you want people to know more...tell them to pm you.

Just a thought...

Nice house Stephen...

But what's with the arch connecting the garage to the main house?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,085 ✭✭✭✭muffler

stephen_k wrote: »
    Hello there,
    Picture update of my build in Mayo... Nearly there, builders should be off site end of March....
    Sight seers already :D

Well done.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,587 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

stephen,

is that a coloured render finish or a painted finish??

dunie001 wrote: »
    Nice house Stephen...

But what's with the arch connecting the garage to the main house?

That aint no garage... Thats my hifi/Home Cinema room.... Had to separate it from the main house for planning. Arch will have a gate in it just for privacy, I'll have a little courtyard behind it....

sydthebeat wrote: »
    stephen,

is that a coloured render finish or a painted finish??

Yep it's coloured render (its an ICF build).... To be honest we had to choose the colour from one of those little colour charts, it's not what I thought I was getting, but it's kinda grown on me...

muffler wrote: »
    Sight seers already :D

Well done.

:D
    Yep nosy relations!!!

Home cinema no less!!! Very fancy! recession....no recession in Mayo anyway! he he he!

Good idea to have it seperate anyway...but why did planning not allow you to have it adjoined to the house?

• Advertisement

dunie001 wrote: »
    Home cinema no less!!! Very fancy! recession....no recession in Mayo anyway! he he he!

Good idea to have it seperate anyway...but why did planning not allow you to have it adjoined to the house?

LOL!! I assure this was planned a long time ago before the recession hit... Not sure what I'm going to afford to put in it ;) Basically the story with our planning was that the planner (or psycho hose beast as she was known) said the foot print of our original house design was "too big" so our architect, to incorporate all we wanted, split the house to make it resemble a farmhouse with outbuildings (as per the rural development planning guidlines), and she went for it thank god... (after intervention by our local councillor I might add)

Advertisement