Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Ok, time for me to join (hopefully!!!)
    I'm after reading this thread from start to finish!! Phew, information overload!!!!

Due our planning decision tomorrow. Some of you will already know my story on that, so we'll not go there right now!!!

Planning on building a 2600sq ft, 2 storey trad block house. Planning on goind direct labour. UFH on both floors, with Air to Water heat pump. Looking into a ventilation system called Drimaster. Can't justify the cost of HRV. Don't like wall vents, putting PVC sash windows in front, so can't use trickle vents in windows in these rooms, so the Drimaster seems a possible solution, but I can't find much info on them. Anyone any ideas?

Hope to start work as soon as we can. Happy enough to be finished autumn / Winter 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

getfit wrote: »
    I have found 2 dramatic benefits to the PM route
    1. Low stress due to the knowledge the PM brings. Mates of mine who built DL have spent sleepless nights worrying about how the sewage pipes will hook up or what type of RSJ to get or how to get the paths done or who will mark out the foundations etc. I just call the PM
    2. I keep control of quality in terms of materials and labour. With a builder, he is ordering materials and hiring workmen and the temptation to cut corners will always be there as he is building to a set price...

Ditto - this is the road I've just taken as of today [just rang him to confirm the deal]. He's a qualified civil engineer too so it saves me having to get one in just to give everything the onceover. PI cover and the usual pullava obviously. Based on quotes received from both builders and direct labour routes, the money saved when the PM fees are included is still substantial - and the ability to pick and choose my own tradesmen [and hopefully @ better cost] is extremely useful.

BoozeyBabe here did you hear about Drimaster? I've the same concerns regarding cost of HRV. Same size house as yours, only dormer instead of trad 2 storey.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dunie001

I know someone who has an air to water heat pump in their house...although it is considerably smaller than 2,600sq ft as far as i'm aware. Anyway, they think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread! and it's saving them somewhere in the region of €500/yr on oil that they would otherwise be burning.

the best thing might be to get a heat recovery ventilation unit as well as the heat pump. They are great yokes as you don't lose heat from ventilation holes in the walls, which have a significant enough effect on the energy rating.

The ventilation unit would take the strain off the heat pump so it wouldn't have to work too hard...

Also remember to stuff the house with insulation! You have to insulate the house way beyond the current regulations, otherwise you will incur additional costs in running the heat pump correctly. Heat pumps are designed to be running 24/7 all year round...this is the most efficient way to run the pump.

Solar gains are also important...so make damn sure the house is facing the sun all day, and that you've got very good windows as well. No point having all the sun's heat hitting a block wall all day anyway!:D

Hi GoneShootin,
    Was at the selfbuild show in Belfast at the weekend, & they had them there.
    A company called nuaire (I think) do them, but I'm really not sure. Upside, is they only cost approx £300, so if they don't work it's not going to break the bank.

Another reason why I've turned against HRV is because hinself insists we have 2 open chimneys in the house. Even if we install something in these to close them off when not in use, I just can't be sure that our house will be airtight enough to allow the HRV unit to do its job properly, & therefore provide some sort of reasonable payback.

Yes, if the heat pump (Altherma by Daikin) does what it says on the tin, we'll be well happy with it.

We plan on insulating to the best we can afford. Not sure what that is!! :D , but certainly higher than current regs.

Our house isn't ideally situated for solar gain, as we have fantatic views in a certain direction that we couldn't ignore, but we've made the most with what we have, & have certainly limited the North facing wall to 2 small bathroom windows.

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    hinself insists we have 2 open chimneys in the house.

HRV hasn't a chance of operating properly with two great big holes up into the sky. And even if you weren't too concerned about HRV, your air tightness will be much much less than if you went with stoves + balanced flues.

You could look at a wallmounted solid fuel fire. I've seen ones where the airvent is actually outside the house and runs under the floor. Cant for the life of me seem to find a solid fuel version online though.

Might look into that nuaire crowd. As you say if it doesnt work out then it hasn't broken me.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately he's not for turning on this.
    Believe me, I've tried, to the extent of sounding like a broken record, but he wants his two big traditional fireplaces, & I've to just accept that, & pay higher energy costs as a result!!!

So yes, that's why I just can't justify HRV. I know it just won't be effective enough in my house to justify the cost.

two big traditional fireplaces

Technically the stove would be traditional ;)

Just got planning approved, so now we can put that horrible chapter behind us & start on the next one!
    Bring it on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dunie001

HRV hasn't a chance of operating properly with two great big holes up into the sky

This reminds me of a time when I was lighting an open fire in a rented house and a polish housemate walked in and said;

"wat u tryin' a do dunie...heat the stars?" (imagine polish accent when reading)

Well done on the planning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Just got planning approved, so now we can put that horrible chapter behind us & start on the next one!
    Bring it on!!!

Congrats!!

• Advertisement

Cheers folks!
    No doubt there will be many many more questions from me on here over the next 12-18 months!
    Sorry in advance!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Cheers folks!
    No doubt there will be many many more questions from me on here over the next 12-18 months!
    Sorry in advance!!! :D

Dear Admins,

I wish to step down from my role as Mod of Construction & Planning

Good luck BoozyBabe and keep us informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭metalscrubber

Its a great feelin' isn't it to get thro that nightmare that is planning!

Looking forward to trading building stories and information over the months ahead - when we start again - took the foot off the pedel when no.3 arrived!

Anyhow, take care,

Metal

• Registered Users Posts: 46,085 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'll answer all questions and give loads of great advice at the house warming party. :)

Well done with the planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Update: Floors were poured this week, here's some pics, have to wait a couple of weeks then the good stuff like kitchens and stairs can go in.... Floor is a concrete self levelling screed...

Nearly there!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭gwenuska

Hi,

I am looking into a self build and I'm just checking costs. Would it be correct to say that (in the current climate) it would cost approximately €80 per square ft? So a 1500 sq. foot house would cost about €120,000 to build? The site is in North County Dublin? Has anyone any experience doing a self build in this general area? Would this be just the build or the total cost for everything?

gwenuska wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking into a self build and I'm just checking costs. Would it be correct to say that (in the current climate) it would cost approximately €80 per square ft? So a 1500 sq. foot house would cost about €120,000 to build? The site is in North County Dublin? Has anyone any experience doing a self build in this general area? Would this be just the build or the total cost for everything?
    That would be an acceptable price in my neck of the woods but Id expect you to pay a wee bit more than that for the East coast region. In saying that some of the other guys who live and work in the region and who post here will be able to advise better.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Podgemcd

We are currently up to FFl with a 2600 sq ft house in the midlands. UFH pipes are in and ready for walls ..... whn the block layer returns! Garage walls complete. Ready for roof. ESB Pole, Phone Wires and water main next to site but unsure of when to apply for them!!

When you say a wee bit more, do you think €100 per sq. ft. would be correct?

Also, just wondering if it cost €150,000 to build a 1500 sq. ft. house based on €100 per sq. ft. what would the cost be for materials only if the labour was FOC. In other words, if I had a bunch of buddies doing the build as a favour (totally free), how much would it cost me for all the bricks and mortar etc. Anyone???? Even a rough idea would be a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

gwenuska wrote: »
    When you say a wee bit more, do you think €100 per sq. ft. would be correct?

Also, just wondering if it cost €150,000 to build a 1500 sq. ft. house based on €100 per sq. ft. what would the cost be for materials only if the labour was FOC. In other words, if I had a bunch of buddies doing the build as a favour (totally free), how much would it cost me for all the bricks and mortar etc. Anyone???? Even a rough idea would be a great help.
    That can be easily found at to within a couple of hundred euro by hiring a quantity surveyor.

Mates rates don't always work out cheaper, whilst getting it done initially might be redoing it after most certainly won't be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 BUILDERSKY

Hallo Gwenuska
    Hallo Everyone

You can not estimate cost of materials until you've specify them. there are a lots new technologies comming on the market so you've big choice
    bricks, timber, poroton and some more
    the difference betwen prices would be even 50%

That can be easily found at to within a couple of hundred euro by hiring a quantity surveyor.

Mates rates don't always work out cheaper, whilst getting it done initially might be redoing it after most certainly won't be.

My father in law has offered to do it free. He is a builder his whole life. He doesnt live in Ireland and would be coming over specifically for the job. I just need a ball-park to work out if I can afford it or not. For a basic build, nothing fancy. I will just have to pay for materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I am doing something very very similar with my Dad doing the building and I am calculating it at €65 sq/ft. Thats not including site but is basically including everything else is a 3200 sg/ft storey and a half house

• Registered Users Posts: 34 feelinfoul

hi all,
    planning notice was in the local paper this week,putting up the site notice tomorrow(weather permitting)or should i say later today!
    met the architect and finalised design today,hoping to submit application early next week to co.co.
    building a storey and half approx 3000sqft with garage,going down the d.l. route,but have been advised to get qoutes from a few builders,been told i will be surprised?
    anxious but excited:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Confused12

Hi all,

Will (hopefully) be starting a new build in the coming weeks & was just wondering when is the best time to send in applications for new utilities connections. I may be way ahead of myself here but I've heard that it can take up to a year after you apply for them to actually hook you up, particularly the ESB. Anyone know the best time to apply? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Started my new build in mid januray and applied to ESB Networks soon after..
    this was because you need to agree with them where the meter box can be located etc...
    they are very fussy on this now apparently...

What you need to do is contact them (check on net) and they will then send you out forms to fill in and particulars of what they need (site maps etc) and a requirement for a cheque..:eek:

Then they will agree a date to come to site and tell you where and how to locate your box and ducting etc....when you have done that, you let them know and they come back again...

hope this helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 BUILDERSKY

feelinfoul wrote: »
    hi all,
    planning notice was in the local paper this week,putting up the site notice tomorrow(weather permitting)or should i say later today!
    met the architect and finalised design today,hoping to submit application early next week to co.co.
    building a storey and half approx 3000sqft with garage,going down the d.l. route,but have been advised to get qoutes from a few builders,been told i will be surprised?
    anxious but excited:o

yes You will be surprised how diferent prices you will get from builders.
    everybody are dropping down
    make sure they're cutting cost of labour, and not cutting materials, insulation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Podgemcd

As I mentioned before, we are currently at FFL with our house. The garage is up to wall plate level but no action for 3 weeks now on the site :mad:. I was wondering what to do next. Is now a good time to renegotiate withthe builder over cost?

Currently we have been quoted 248K to finish the 2600 sq ft house and 900 sq ft garage. House contains 2 solar panels and condensor boiler, water treatment system, paths, roadway, and finished with timber floors upstairs, and 3 rooms with solid timber downstairs, cornices in all rooms, UFH and piped for stove with back boiler.

Can anyone tell me if this is reasonable or not given the current climate? or what is the best way to approach the builder over his absence frm the site?

Podgemcd wrote: »
    As I mentioned before, we are currently at FFL with our house. The garage is up to wall plate level but no action for 3 weeks now on the site :mad:. I was wondering what to do next. Is now a good time to renegotiate withthe builder over cost?

Currently we have been quoted 248K to finish the 2600 sq ft house and 900 sq ft garage. House contains 2 solar panels and condensor boiler, water treatment system, paths, roadway, and finished with timber floors upstairs, and 3 rooms with solid timber downstairs, cornices in all rooms, UFH and piped for stove with back boiler.

Can anyone tell me if this is reasonable or not given the current climate? or what is the best way to approach the builder over his absence frm the site?
    Sounds a bit high to me but then again prices do vary dramatically depending on location.

I'd shop around for another 2 or 3 prices if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 inchbyinch

Podgemcd wrote: »
    ... Is now a good time to renegotiate withthe builder over cost?

You bet your bottom dollar it is......tell him you want to meet him to discuss program.....no show, end of contract....and then tell him that all prices in Ireland including other builders are now on the floor and circa €100/sqft is not the going rate any more....or anything like it.....working on an industrial site at present I can assure you everybody here is scared of the end this present contract because they have no idea where the next one is coming from!!

Advertisement