Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 merchant

just finished my build had no real set backs have a lot of contacts now for my next build hurry up downturn and get things going again:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Diggers should be moving onsite round about now, to begin clearing.
    Well, hopefully anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,085 ✭✭✭✭muffler

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    Diggers should be moving onsite round about now, to begin clearing.
    Well, hopefully anyway!!!
    Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Got my floors poured last week and onwards now with the building of the walls; this started on Monday and am in process of ordering my cills now and hope to finnalise my windows supplier soon....daily calls at mo from eager window suppliers....all willing to reduce original quotes etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Can you pm the list of window suppliers that you are using and the quotes you are getting.

How much of a reduction are they giving you.

Lightning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Levi4

Hi All,

Thought I would join in on this "Live Self-Build"!. We have just been granted our planning and hope to start in the coming weeks. We are planning to manage the build ourselves as oppose to using a Builder of PM. Hubby would have alot of contacts and will do plumbing work himself. Does anyone have any idea what the building cost per sq ft is in galway at the mo. We are building 3500 sq ft 2 storey in athenry. Its so hard at this stage to gage overall cost. is there such as thing as a costing sheet which gives a breakdown of costs that you can fill in??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Levi4 wrote: »
    is there such as thing as a costing sheet which gives a breakdown of costs that you can fill in??

Its called a Bill of Quantities (BoQ) and depending on what services you have employed your architect/architect tech to carry out this may be part of their service. Ideally its a job for a Quantity surveyor, and he will provide already filled in with prices that he finds to be accurate at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tedser

hi can i make concrete with just gravel and cement or do i need to mix sand in aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scoobymac

Just about to start building, still have green site !
    2800sqft "T" shape 2 storey.
    8inch timber frame,
    air tightness package
    Under floor heating upstairs and down.
    Air to water heating
    Air recovery

have the contract with timber frame company signed.
    Waiting for foundation drawings from them to get my man for the foundations going.

SO here goes !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

We are starting to build soon, 4500 sq foot 2storey in midlands, debating whether to go direct or builder. Would anyone know what roughly would be to dig out site and pour foundations would be?? He lives local and has done the percolation tests so far but hasnt charged for them. He just said to ring him when we start the build.
    any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 BUILDERSKY

tedser wrote: »
    hi can i make concrete with just gravel and cement or do i need to mix sand in aswell?

What do you need that concrete for?

im raising an area outside my back door 4mx5m and was wondering could i get any tips from you pro,s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 BUILDERSKY

tedser wrote: »
    im raising an area outside my back door 4mx5m and was wondering could i get any tips from you pro,s

so it is a 20 sqm area, if u want a concret slab put some sand and gravel and one sheet A393 mesh.
    in any building suppliers you can get ready mix gravel and it should be in the same price as sand

if you want to make just a basement for something, you can put only gravel or limestone and compact it

thanks for your help

Footings are all done, floors have been back filled, waiting now for radon barrier before sub floor can be poured.
    In the meantime the garage is going up up up!!!!
    All good so far! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Footings are all done, floors have been back filled, waiting now for radon barrier before sub floor can be poured.
    In the meantime the garage is going up up up!!!!
    All good so far! :)
    Thanks for the update.

Yup, so far things are flying!!!
    A lot LOT faster than we expected. Expecting a set back any time now though.
    It can't keep being this easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 WexfordGirl

Hi All,

We're currently building a split level house, ca 3000 sq ft. We started in November and are just up to wall plate. Its been slow but we're trying to do as much ourselves as possible. Its not the most conventional design either, due to the split level we have a partial basement and this part of house also has a steel portal frame (see pics attached).

Will hopefully finalise order for the windows next week and then the roof will be going on last week in May. My partner is making the exposed oak beams for the vaulted ceiling himself hence the delay (but hopefully will be worth it!).

Best of luck to everyone!

Yup, so far things are flying!!!
    A lot LOT faster than we expected. Expecting a set back any time now though.
    It can't keep being this easy

It can if you have a good team working on it, weather permitting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Hi All,

We're currently building a split level house, ca 3000 sq ft. We started in November and are just up to wall plate. Its been slow but we're trying to do as much ourselves as possible. Its not the most conventional design either, due to the split level we have a partial basement and this part of house also has a steel portal frame (see pics attached).

Will hopefully finalise order for the windows next week and then the roof will be going on last week in May. My partner is making the exposed oak beams for the vaulted ceiling himself hence the delay (but hopefully will be worth it!).

NICE VIEW (second pic)...I hope you are making the most of that !!!

External walls nearly finished on mine..best of luck with it...

• Advertisement

Hi WexfordGirl

Can you pm the answers to the following questions:

What co's did you get your window quotes from?

Who is doing your roof?

Where are you sourcing the timber for your oak beams

Thanks.

Lightning

Subfloor's in.
    Now the building starts in earnest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Macs

Subfloor's in.
    Now the building starts in earnest!
    Best of luck BoozyBabe!
    What heating system are you using and why?

Macs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scoobymac

Subfloors being poured today, And maybe garage floor as well.

Waiting for underfloor suppliers to come fit so we can finish floor,
    Break for 2 weeks then while all services are put and then the timber frame.

He only started tues of last week !!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

hi folks,
    am waiting on planning, 2nd time around and about a year since we
    bought the site. the nightmare of the planning process.:mad:

anyways i am trying to decide on what method to use, i am fairly sure i want to go with Timberframe, for the advantages better rating or at leat easier to achieve.
    i am looking at the closed panel system and have been to one of the manufacturig plants to see the process, it all looks very impressive to me.
    does anyone have any experiance in this method.
    i have gotten a quote of €52k EX VAT. for the closed panel 225mm external walls 100mm internal, all high spec windows and doors, elec conduit pre fitted.
    the house is 124sqm 2 story, can anyone give estimate of how much it might cost to finish etc.. any and all infor much appreciated.. :confused:

Macs wrote: »
    Best of luck BoozyBabe!
    What heating system are you using and why?

Thanks Macs!
    Ground floor is practically built. Got measured for concrete floor slabs today. I still can't believe how fast it's going up.

We've almost decided to go with an ASHP, & UFH. I can't really say why, as we're still really unsure, & could change our mind at the last minute.
    It just seems for us, like the thing to do. At the minute, savings might be marginal, on running costs, but you'd imagine the cost of oil has to go back up. I suppose not having to worry about running out of oil, etc.
    I really don't know. It's been put on the back burner for the mo, but more than likely, we'll be going for the ashp.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,085 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It's been put on the back burner for the mo
    No pun intended I presume :D

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭spillcoe

Hi All,

Hi WexfordGirl,

I'm currently having a house designed and it sounds very similar to yours so I would be very interested in seeing some more pics of your house or just getting an update on how it is going. My house is a split level around 2800 sq ft at the moment and I am thinking of going with the vaulted ceiling as well.

Good luck with the build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Tinadec

Hi all
    Just broke ground last week on 3,500sqft 11/2 storey dormer style, footings in. Have a question on insulation our architect has recommended 50mm kingspan TF70 for floor insulation, 60mm Kingspan TW50 for wall insulation. For pitched roof 100mm Kingspan TP10 pitched roof insulation between rafters along with insulated plasterslab beneath rafter. I really don't have a clue about insulation but really want to put the money into insulating the house well, is this the standard or what are your recommendations?
    Thanks
    Tinadec

• Advertisement

Tinadec

Based on the advice on this forum I put 150mm of kingspan in the floor (underfloor heating), 60 mm in the cavity plus 40/12.5 insulated plasterboard on the inner leaf. Kingspan tells me it will achieve a Uvalue of 0.18 but others here will say different due to wall ties etc. Anyway if I have the money the roof will have a Uvalue of 0.10.

Some would say this is crazy but you can't change the floor when its in. But you can change the insulated plasterboard on the inner leaf and the roof.

Lightning

Advertisement