Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Macs

BoozyBabe,

You seem to be going really well. I hope to start next month myself. I'm fairly settled on what I want, apart from the heating system, hence my question to you. Like urself, there's so much choice at the moment, its hard to know what route to take. I'll probably settle for an oil condensing boiler with UFH in certain rooms. But ur probably right, as soon as I go down this road, the price of oil will start to rise! Hope the good progress continues. Thanks for ur input.

Macs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 2sounds

Hi all,
    Not technically self build but feels like, so After 5 years on the planning / new build roundabout weve finally sent out our tenders today. Ive referenced this forum hundreds of times during that period and its helped me make the transition from complete building novice to just above novice. Hats off to those who maintain and post.

Its my family home, Farmhouse circa 3100sq ft, built 1850, vacant since 2001 (pic below)

Structurally complex, local coco made us retain the front wall and were dropping a TF in behind it, so needs underpinning

TF Build/renovation.
    3100sq ft when renovated
    U values
    Windows 1.2
    Doors 1
    Gnd Floor 0.1
    Walls 0.14 - 0.18 depending on cost
    Roofs 0.12

Thermal Bridging 0.04
    Ventilation - MVHR 85% efficiency and SPF of 0.8 W/(l/s) or less
    Air Leakage Q50 of 1.5

GSHP 320% COP min 3.2 preference 3.5
    Wood Fuel – Closed Fire
    Solar Water heating Min 50%-60% solar contribution
    Lighting 90% (All permanent low energy fittings)

Were almost at passive spec with this but passive spec will be normal spec in a few years hopefully.

Ive learned a lot, as we all do, going through this process.
    We involved a local architects firm from the start as My SO and I have no experience in building.

Were contract tendering to well established firms so Interesting to see what comes back in 3 weeks re costs.

Most important thing ive learned so far
    1. If you can afford it get a good architect - Were bring charged approx 10% of build cost but we just couldent do self build as its too complex and we dont have the time ( twins due next month and first one just gone 2!)
    Cant recommed our guy highly enough and Id say there fees have come down, we started way back in 2005

2. Get a good Energy assesor - pm me for details, it will cost you a bit more than your yellow pages guys but its vital to get good information and as a % of the over all build its not much

3. Were going pc sum on almost everything TF, heating, Windows, sanitary etc. Over the last 3 months Ive gone to Kitchen dealers, bathroom places, etc and the difference in quotes is unreal. There are some great deals to be had now but youve got to work at it.
    For example I was quoted 5k for granite worktops for the kitchen and 2.5k for the exact same spec from another well known kitchen supplier.

Jonathan Ross os on now so im off. Ill keep posting as I get info re quotes of windows TF etc and ill post back the 6 tender quotes as they come back in.

L8r

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Juantorena

Lovely facade, 2sounds, good luck with the process!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

My blog was down for a while as was the house build slowed to a crawl, still work to do, but we moved in three weeks ago, blog is updated a bit and more to come

www.selfbuildardmore.blogspot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DMARTINGTI

Looks superb Jollyman. Passed recently on my way to Ardmore great progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

Thank you :) Aww we are finally getting there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 selfbuildoffaly

Tegral trutone, Blue/black (artificial) slates, I think they look very nice,

I was originally going to go for concrete but the roofer said "just look at that one over there" - points to a neighbour who had concrete tiles... No contest! slates it was, double the price though but worth it.

hi thinking of going with synthectic tiles that a company <SNIP> in belfast sell, does anyone know anything about them. the ideal scenario would be someone who has them on a house for a couple of years

Mod edit: Read the charter please. Company/business names aren't allowed.

I used a plastic recycled eco slate from a company in Athy. The finish is very slate like and according to my builder they do not discolour as quikly as thrutone slate effect. He has used them on several projects none are on more than a few years though. Look up up the company on google for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 selfbuildoffaly

hi they look very good, thanks for coming back to me. i say we'll go with them alright.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

DMARTINGTI wrote: »
    I used a plastic recycled eco slate from a company in Athy. The finish is very slate like and according to my builder they do not discolour as quikly as thrutone slate effect. He has used them on several projects none are on more than a few years though. Look up up the company on google for more info.

we were at the galway self build show 3 weeks ago and were looking at those plastic rubber slates, they looked really natural. Then we went to the stand beside it (ybf) they sell natural slates and he said "well I wouldnt put them on my house because on a really day they will melt and will be waving at you in the distance!!

Hot day in Ireland HA ha, :D

• Advertisement

Very true pipsqueak chance would be a fine thing. The slates I put on are not rubber. They are a hard plastic and are moulded with a slight curve pushing them downwards all the time once they are nailed in place so no chance of wave or moving. I haven't any first hand experience of the rubber ones just saw them on youtube. If we get a good summer I might be able to give more feedback. Wouldn't be holding my breath though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

DMARTINGTI wrote: »
    Very true pipsqueak chance would be a fine thing. The slates I put on are not rubber. They are a hard plastic and are moulded with a slight curve pushing them downwards all the time once they are nailed in place so no chance of wave or moving. I haven't any first hand experience of the rubber ones just saw them on youtube. If we get a good summer I might be able to give more feedback. Wouldn't be holding my breath though.

They look really good, There is a house near longford, massive house has them on it 6500 sq foot. They look really nice. The chap at self build ireland was asking 1.75 cent each for them excl vat. thats the 24x10 size.
    steep enough but well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Things going really well.
    Should be ready for roofing in about a week. No major hiccups yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Some updated photos of inside and exterior deck work..

watergate-house.blogspot.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭metalscrubber

Looks great Baud. Whats going under the decking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

3 weeks in and so far so good

http://grianan.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Currahee01

Well this what we're trying to build...
    DSCF3521.jpg

DSCF3516.jpg

From this...
    296373128a8253555191l.jpg

After a couple of weeks...
    02June09004.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

you've got sky in already, don't get too far ahead of yourself!!! haha

Looks great.... best of luck with that!

Superb View, Where is it ?

Also, did buffalo bill live there or what !?

P.

Looks great Baud. Whats going under the decking?

Damn good question... I am open to suggestions. either plants or gravel I suppose...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Currahee01

bauderline wrote: »
    Superb View, Where is it ?

Also, did buffalo bill live there or what !?

P.

Yeah it's much better when you're actually on site, it's on the Blackstairs Mountains in Wexford.

It definitely had a "it puts the lotion on it's skin feel" to it when we bought it :D

Will stick some more pics up as building progresses!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

Hi Folks,

have been looking at these pages for over a year now, i have just received our permission granted today. am so happy to be able
    to move on form the limbo we have been in for the last year.
    anyways ill be on here all the time to get the best info from all
    you experts, probably goin to go with a closed panel system, so if anyone has any 1st hand dealings with them, i would be very interested in
    talking to them.

cheers
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Hi All,
    I've just received planning (wahoo!), and am about to break ground.
    As part of the further information process, the planner asked for the house to be moved back on the site area - which of course we did.

Looking at starting the build now, as the site area was quite large 80x60 meters, we really don't want to move it all the way back as it was in the site plan.
    I assume there must be some allowance/margin for the actual site position without 'violating' the terms of the planning - does anyone know if we could move the foundations a little, say 5 meters?

We are in south tipp - I've searched as much as I can but cannot find any reference to how exact the location must be vs the site plan - and after waiting 8 months, I certainly don't want to re-apply for a change to the planning.

Any help is appreciated. I think I'll have to start a blog too, I'm really impressed by the ones I've seen here, I don't know how people find the time for work, family, self-build and then updating a blog, but I'll try!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,085 ✭✭✭✭muffler

tails_naf wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I've just received planning (wahoo!), and am about to break ground.
    As part of the further information process, the planner asked for the house to be moved back on the site area - which of course we did.

Looking at starting the build now, as the site area was quite large 80x60 meters, we really don't want to move it all the way back as it was in the site plan.
    I assume there must be some allowance/margin for the actual site position without 'violating' the terms of the planning - does anyone know if we could move the foundations a little, say 5 meters?

We are in south tipp - I've searched as much as I can but cannot find any reference to how exact the location must be vs the site plan - and after waiting 8 months, I certainly don't want to re-apply for a change to the planning.

Any help is appreciated. I think I'll have to start a blog too, I'm really impressed by the ones I've seen here, I don't know how people find the time for work, family, self-build and then updating a blog, but I'll try!
    Strictly speaking there is no leeway or tolerance in this regard especially since the planners asked for the house to be repositioned on the site. There was obviously a good reason for that. You could ring the planner again and ask if you were to send a revised site map showing the house moved slightly would he/she be prepared to confirm in writing that they have no objection to this.

In Donegal for example they will accommodate this at times by way of what we and they call a "minor amendment" but if it is a condition on your permission then it cant be changed by way of a letter anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

hey folks

Progress on my build has slowed down big time in last month....main hold up was delays in Slabs for 1st floor arriving...these finally arrived Monday and were finished yesterday....

Hopefully now things will speed up a bit....getting quotes from Carpenters and wood suppliers and have to pump concrete up on to slab for a finish on 1st floor...Plumber also to lay some piping prior to this....

Cills and slates to be ordered soon and nearly there on selecting a stone finish..lots to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Thought I'd pop in with a quick update too.
    Builders moved off site last Fri.
    Joists are up & roofers back on Mon to begin the whole roofing process.
    & we haven't decided on slate yet!!!!!
    I expect the whole process will slow a bit now.
    We've had a great run at it so far. Delighted with results.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,085 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Good stuff BB. Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rosey1980

Hi All,

Im thinking of building myself and would appreciate any top tips of where to start or words of wisdom ? any pro's and con's on using a company or direct labour !!

Thank you !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rosey1980

Hi all,

Has anyone got a things to do list for building your own house. Im just about to start the process and would appreciate any guidance at all ..

Thanks !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Good evening folks!

I think I posted on this thread once before, didn't really feel like I had the authority to post any more. I kind of felt that this thread was like the senior yard in school, you couldn't wait until you got there but until such time as you did it was a nervous visit anytime you were near it!!! So now I've reached 6th year - builder is hoping to open up the site on Friday.

2100sq ft house
    1.5 Storey
    Garage
    Geothermal with UFH
    2/3 Acre site.
    AluClad Windows (Double Glazed)
    Oak finish interior
    High Gloss Kitchen

Getting a contractor to build for us as we haven't got the patience nor the experience to go the direct labour route.

Hopefully it'll be a relatively uneventful few months.

Mr Edge.

Advertisement