Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

All PVC, guttering finished now, external plastering finished...scaffolding coming down today....able to take tape off windows etc....:D

Electrician and Plumber workin away...carpenter doing a few bits and pieces before installing frames and window boards...

Hopefully it keeps moving....somebody told me to be ready for serious cash outflows from here on in...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Techno, we are just a few weeks ahead of you. I can't emphasise enough the strain that comes on the cashflow at this stage. I posted another thread expressing my worries about this stage. Our builder has no issues with us but our kitchen supplier, tiler, alarm tech etc may not be as friendly when it comes to looking for credit. They'll be looking for payment on completion and the engineer will only sign off work completed and on site. For example, We have Our kitchen ready to install but the engineer can't release those funds until the end but kitchen company will want payment upon completion. Just be cautious and you should be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Hi All,

Our foundations and footwork are all compete now, floors are poured and architect is coming in tomorrow to sign off on this stage for us.
    Block layer will be starting the walls next week (weather permitting....heard there's supposed to be more snow on the way)

Just wondering how long your block works took. We'll have 3 guys working on the block so i had estimated around a month?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 21 afrofish

My wife and I have just received FPP from Cavan coco and will hopefully begin the build in the next month. Can't wait to get started!

Afro

Good stuff anna! It's seems to be the fastest part of the build. With 3 guys there if you get a decent run with the weather you'll fly through it. Congrats afro! What sort of house are you building? Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

Afro, just saw your own post in the main forum. Saw what kind of house you're building.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Currahee01

Weather really hurt us and between one thing and another we lost alot of time but back on track and finishing line is in site :)
    19074_327427605943_684875943_521313.jpg

19074_327427625943_684875943_521313.jpg

19074_327427670943_684875943_521313.jpg

Thanks Mr Edge,

To be honest we aren't completely decided yet. We are currently putting it out to price while refining the choice of build as we go....not ideal!

The basic plan is a Georgian fascade, two storey with a detached garage.

We are going to try for a high level of airtightness and insulation but aren't entirely sure on how we do it yet (hence my other post: Guidance on New Build).

I would ordinarily have waited until we got a few more details sorted but I am about to become a father in the next few weeks and the sooner our new house is built the better.

Wow, that looks lovely Currahee01!

I rarely like woodclad exteriors but you really got it right, well done.

I wish we were that far on! :(

Afro. Obviously you are going to be mental busy in the coming weeks but it might be worth while taking a few weeks and do your homework before kicking off with every major covered off. It might cost you a few weeks building but could save you thousands by the time the build is finished. Even as it is, you will probably be doing well to have the house finished before Christmas. The less uncertainty you have when you break ground the easier and cheaper your build will be. My two cents anyway!

• Advertisement

I totally get the sentiment Mr Edge but I am trying to juggle an efficient build with a hormonal wife who wants to move in yesterday. If she had her way we would have submitted plans last may for a monstrosity of a house and currently be having it thrown together by the first builder who said he could do it "as quick as possible". If it was left to me it would have been another 6 months before we submitted plans and another year before we started work. I can only equate it to trying to light a cigarette while you are on a bucking bronco...not easy! Having said that the two of us work well together, she hurries me along and I kerb her impulsiveness (slightly).

I think the pareto principle applies....

At the design stage you can change 80% of the design and only incur 20% more cost. Once the build begins changing 20% of the design can increase the cost by 80%!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Wow Currahee01, your house is amazing. So modern, i love it!
    Ours is very "normal" looking but i don't think i'd be cool enough for your house...don't think my area would be either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Lovely house Currahee01. A timber clad house like that looks amazing against a rough and ready backdrop and you've pulled it off amazingly. The contrast between the strict straight edges of the timber against the moss covered stone is amazing. You (or your architect) have a really good eye for it.

Nice work Currahee01....that is lovely looking and really blends in with the area....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Fantastic house Currahee01, it shows what can be done with careful design integrating the traditional Irish cottage with contemporary design.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

I think its time to put up or shut up,

here's what I am hoping to build over the next year or two.The windows are only indicative at the moment but the design is 95% there.

Met the arch on site yesterday to tie down everything. Going for planning in the next few weeks. Wish me luck

The view from the site did not load so here it is

fight the power
    EM

Looks great Currahee! Like someone else says it makes ours look very ordinary!!!

house.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mcgovern12

hi there im just wondering if you could help me.i think your house looks amazing and the render and roof tiles look brilliant and am wondering if you could tell me what products they are as im starting a self build myself and am looking to get some ideas.thanks

We finally switched our power on yesterday. With a bit of luck we'll be firing up the heatpump today! We'll have to wait a few weeks then before starting the tiling.

• Advertisement

Heatpump up and running! Feels like we've made huge progress in a day! Just wait for the heat now.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Finally seeing some movement on our build.
    Started on site a week before Christmas. Have lost a lot of time with the weather. Our builder is doing the finished floor before he starts to build walls etc. Underfloor pipes and Central Vac pipes were fitted 2 weeks ago. Got finished floor poured last week. Started on blocks this week. Garage half blocked aswell.
    Have been a few dust ups between Arch and Builder but peace is restored now. Foreman seems like a nice chap. Very few phone calls to me which suits me fine ...

Budget being stretched slightly already! We kept our PC sums intentionally a bit lower than our Arch predicted .. and all quotes are coming in around what he said!
    What we have so far, all prices ex VAT (in brackets is pc sum)
    Windows: 39k (35k) - have 3 rooflights that are coming in at nearly 5k
    Plumbing\Heating\Solar\HRV etc: 28k (25k)
    Internal Doors & Ironmongery: 3.5k (4.5k)
    Sanitaryware: 4.5k (5k)

Hopefully get a bit of decent weather for a few weeks and we'll see good progress. Still aiming for Aug/Sept move in.

Well the painting is under way. Trying to get a few coats on before the skirting and architrave go on-save a few quid. Stairs going in this week. Tiling will start in a few weeks, have to wait a bit with the ufh. Doors arrived on site today. All go from here on!

Progressing well now...spent last few weeks insulating and air tighting it and happy with end results so far..... Slabbing and plastering continues and outside site works ongoing....
    After plastering, can pour finished floor on ground floor when Insulation and UFH pipes laid.... Drying out required then....

Got to keep it moving along now to make early summer...!!

Good stuff techno, it'll fly in. Well we're on the home straight now. Outside being finished now- cobblelock patio done yesterday, delighted with the result. Tiler starting next week! Plenty to keep us busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 new boy

mjffey wrote: »
    We got the quote in for the poroton blocks for our 100M2 extension and it's way beyond our budget, so we are going for the standard blockbuild.

We found already a builder who was recommended to us by several people and he came with a very nice price. He will do all the groundwork, foundation, relocate the manhole for the septictank, will break through the old stone wall for the pipes for the bathroom, and he will build up to rooflevel. Insulation with Kingspan or Quin Therm walls and flooring, damp proof, radon barrier and sump.

The only two things that we will subcontract are placing the windows, as this was altready included in the price from our window supplier, and plastering.

We just have helped a friend of ours placing his roof and we know now that we can do that ourself.

We hope to get started next month.

Up date will follow.
    Hi! what insulation did u eventually go for?
    :)

Good stuff techno, it'll fly in. Well we're on the home straight now. Outside being finished now- cobblelock patio done yesterday, delighted with the result. Tiler starting next week! Plenty to keep us busy.

thanks Mr Edge....

you are certainly on the home run now alright and must be excited about finally getting in....It will (almost;) )make it all worthwhile....!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Star87

after what seems like an eternity ( really has only been 18 mths) a lot of heartbreak (design changes and meetings galore) we have finally gotten full planning permission for a storey and a half approx 2300 sq ft. hope to start in the coming weeks, fingers crossed it will go (somewhat) smoothly....

• Registered Users Posts: 46,083 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Star87 wrote: »
    after what seems like an eternity ( really has only been 18 mths) a lot of heartbreak (design changes and meetings galore) we have finally gotten full planning permission for a storey and a half approx 2300 sq ft. hope to start in the coming weeks, fingers crossed it will go (somewhat) smoothly....
    Good to hear. Keep us updated as you go along. :)

• Advertisement

Best of luck star! What sort of heating system and windows are you going for? We've started tiling so hopefully we'll be in in 3 to 4 weeks. Fingers crossed. Thought we'd never get there. Definitely feel that contractor was the way to go!

Advertisement