Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Cheers Smashey!
    Yea, it's coming along nicely & I'm V happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

We're progressing slowly but surely. Hollowcore went in a couple of weeks back. Circular walkway has been shuttered and hopefully poured by now. Plumber due this week to do underfloor for bathrooms and landing on 1st floor. Finished floor being poured then by end of the week and block layer will be back. Hope to be at wall plate level in next 2 weeks (first mortgage drawdown).

Electrician will be appointed next week and then the craic starts - Mrs wants spots all over the shop - air tightness etc is my baby :)
    Speaking off airtightness - I was pleasantly suprised to hear that the air tight guys were on site last week doing something with the hollowcore - any changes to plans have to go through them as well so good to hear they are on top of it.

After a long and eventfull search we've picked a stove -room sealed corner unit -just need to agree a price for installation that won't require another mortgage on top of the one for the purchase cost (nearly 5k)
    All sanitary ware has been picked. Internal doors & mongery have been picked. All tiles finalised apart from kitchen/utility - down to choice of 2. Kitchen guy has been out and all agreed with him - Still need to get worktop picked. All kitchen applicances picked. Garage door ordered.

All in all coming along well, only had 3 calls so far from foreman so far and no major panics yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Block work started on saturday. Tipping along nicely.

House is being built as block on the flat because we are externally insulating.

This spell of weather is a god send. Should be finished by friday week.

Stairs and wideslab to be measured up early next week...

IMG_6545.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

sas wrote: »

IMG_6545.JPG

Best of luck with it sas....I remember (fondly:D ) being at that point and thinking it would never come to pass, but we are getting there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Quick update...

Floor insulation down, UFH pipes oing down tomorrow with screed pour scheduled for Saturday......With plaster dryed out and floors all cleared off with the insulation on, it looks like a house you could live in now...:)

Not yet but gettin there...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Out Of Order

I'm delighted to be able to post in this thread after over two years of researching, designing, and planning!

I've just started a 1500 sq ft low-energy dormer in Tipp.

Stripped back topsoil and stoned out on Saturday.
    Dug and poured foundations on Monday.
    Laying footings next week.

Just want to say thanks at this point to everyone who contributes here. I've been reading this forum for the last two years and have learned a huge amount.
    Having already heard a lifetimes worth of bull from salespeople, it's a hugely valuable resource to be able to get straight-talking, independent advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,083 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Good to hear you are up and running Out Of Order. Dont be shy about putting a question forward here. :)

Many thanks for your comments on the forum. Yes we try to ensure that we keep the forum free from those who would seek to gain financially or otherwise by posting what can only be considered as being a selfish opinion in order to promote their specific product or service.

We do have people here from different companies and they offer advice freely and independently and respect our wishes that they do not pimp their own products. We appreciate their input to the forum also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 scarriff

IMG_6545.JPG

Sas,

I am interested in getting a better understanding on your dpc/dpm detail. I see from your photo that you have lapped dpc/dpm over the face of the block which sits on the radon barrier is this correct? Is this Dpc or DPM? What size is this? Is this dpc/dpm going to be stuck onto the radon barrier? How did you overcome the corner joints?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Builder is hoping to have us in on Friday. Have to order the ould sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,083 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have to order the ould sky!
    And send out the invites for the house warming party. :)

You have our addresses, yes?

• Advertisement

Kitchen and sitting room!

Going cleaning tomorrow. We're going to move in downstairs. We want to get the stairs painted/varnished professionally so theres no point moving in and then having to move everything downstairs because the stairs will be out of bounds for 3 or 4 days. We have one bedroom downstairs beside the bathroom and then three bedrooms ensuite upstairs and a study. must see if i can get a copy of the plans up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sunnymeade01

I buitly my 4000sq ft house in 2007

I did not have the time to get involved so we get a
    PROJECT MANAGER, at the time I was running my own business
    and because of all the stress I ended up in hospital, now on anti depressants and my business is gone

Problems:-
    1. Our house is in the wrong location on the site
    2. The planner drew up the site incorrectly - he made the site bigger than
    it actually is in the land registry map - my sister owns the land beside my house and she has issued legal proceedings against me - 1 court appearance already in 12 April 2010
    3. The Geothermal system is a disaster - example costing me €1350 for first two months of 2010
    4. The gas line was installed in the ceiling and was told this is very dangerous so the gas has not being used in 2 years
    5. The tiles in the bathroom fell off the wall as the wrong adhesive was used
    6. The high spec windows we got rattle when opening / closing them
    7. the ceiling need to be taken down and repaired as there cracks all over the place
    8. The plumbing is a disaster - the guy had not got a clue what he was doing
    9. the radom membrane is not correct
    10. it went 50k over budget
    11. THE MARBLE IS FALLING APART ALL OVER THE HOUSE

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE AS I AM NO MAKING MUCH PROGRESS GOING THE LEGAL ROUTE AND I DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY THESE PEOPLE

AT THIS POINT I WOULD LIKE TO WALK AWAY AND CLOSE THE DOOR BEHIND ME

• Registered Users Posts: 28,947 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I buitly my 4000sq ft house in 2007

I did not have the time to get involved so we get a
    PROJECT MANAGER, at the time I was running my own business
    and because of all the stress I ended up in hospital, now on anti depressants and my business is gone

Problems:-
    1. Our house is in the wrong location on the site
    2. The planner drew up the site incorrectly - he made the site bigger than
    it actually is in the land registry map - my sister owns the land beside my house and she has issued legal proceedings against me - 1 court appearance already in 12 April 2010
    3. The Geothermal system is a disaster - example costing me €1350 for first two months of 2010
    4. The gas line was installed in the ceiling and was told this is very dangerous so the gas has not being used in 2 years
    5. The tiles in the bathroom fell off the wall as the wrong adhesive was used
    6. The high spec windows we got rattle when opening / closing them
    7. the ceiling need to be taken down and repaired as there cracks all over the place
    8. The plumbing is a disaster - the guy had not got a clue what he was doing
    9. the radom membrane is not correct
    10. it went 50k over budget
    11. THE MARBLE IS FALLING APART ALL OVER THE HOUSE

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE AS I AM NO MAKING MUCH PROGRESS GOING THE LEGAL ROUTE AND I DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY THESE PEOPLE

AT THIS POINT I WOULD LIKE TO WALK AWAY AND CLOSE THE DOOR BEHIND ME

It sounds like you are one of the unfortunate ones that was either got left with Cowoiys working on your build or just people that were really inadequate at their jobs.

Unfortunately no one here can give you legal advcie and it seems like that's the route you need to be taking at the moment. Ensure you have a competent solicitor and pursue whatever legal avenues need to be taken. Its one of the worst things that can happen to someone, to have their dream house that cost all their lives savings and have it ruined by shoddy worksmen. All I can do is wish you luck and hope it all works out for you. My one piece of advice is, if you think it is affecting your health either physically or mentally, go see someone about this because it is a stressful time and there is no shame in asking for some help to get through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

+1 to what Quazzi has said.

Tip: Put aside about 6 hours in the house with a note pad and pen, take your time, write down EVERYTHING you know went wrong, from work not done to work done wrong. Take your time and compile all these into a list with a question attached to each, even if it is just why?. Go to your solicitor and press for an answer to each of your questions.

This job has gone the legal route, there isn't much we can do for you here except wish you well.

How many people on boards are in the process of building their own homes at the moment, have recently completed or planning to do so in the near future.

I am about 3/4 of the way through a self-build.
    It would be interesting to have a "live" list of current self-builds on the forum.
    stay away from <SNIP>, they are simply incompetent

Mod edit: We prefer if people didnt use the forum for venting their anger or frustration at a particular company or product. If you aren't happy with the product you do have consumer and legal rights.

I've found the company mentioned above to be excellent to Deal with. Saying no more because this isn't really the place for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

my sister owns the land beside my house and she has issued legal proceedings against me=

your sister :eek:

i think that's the worst aspect of this story

it has split the family up for good

Yes, I never thought I would be in court to hear my name called
    versus my sisters name

when situations like this come up people really show their true colors

she is a real unique character, :confused:
    ei.sdraob wrote: »
    your sister :eek:

i think that's the worst aspect of this story

oh the people are very plesant, dont get me wrong

I just what my heating fixed

sorry about that, i am a newbie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

Fingers crossed I'll be finished on Wednesday*, with just some painting & carpentry left to wrap up....

It's been a long tough road, thanks for all the help and advice and sorry for all the posts :o

*As finished as one can be on a self build project

well done Ninjabob. Best of luck in your new home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

I hope this weather holds. If the schedule holds the wideslab will be installed and grouted within 3 weeks. 2nd storey underway after 3 weeks.

IMG_6570.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Quack13

We are finally nearing the final straight on our build!

Groundworks going on at the minute and hopefully should have ESB and water in the coming ten days or so. Then hopefully get the heating on for a short while.
    We also got all the insides painted for a good price which is great as it will save us a LOT of time.

Hoping to have floors in a few weeks then joinery, stairs, kitchen in.

Some pics can be viewed here:

http://twitpic.com/photos/trunko

I have a record of all stats for heat pump and have sent them to solictor so thaks alot
    not thinking straight at moment. here is an example of my electricity usage
    5 days
    The cost of my electricity from 17/04/2010 @ 1pm(day units 45635 to 27042 night units) to 22/04/2010 @ 8pm (day units 45810 to 27240 night units)

= 45635 - 45810 = 175 day units @ 15.54 cent = €27.19

= 27042 - 27240 = 198 night units @ 7.69 cent = €15.22
    = €42.41 - €8.48 per day

AND
    2 days
    The cost of my electricity since I turned the Heat Pump off 26/04/2010 12 pm (day units 45920 to 27327 night units) to date 28/04/2010 @ 1pm(day units 45947 and 27347night units)
    = 45920 - 45947 = 27 day units @ 15.54 cent = €4.19

= 27327 - 27347 = 20 night units @ 7.69 cent = €1.54
    = €5.73 - €2.86 per day

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bobbiblu

Builder is hoping to have us in on Friday. Have to order the ould sky!

Well???? have you the bbq set up for the weekend? :D
    Hope it's all going according to plan mr_edge....congrats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bobbiblu

I hope this weather holds. If the schedule holds the wideslab will be installed and grouted within 3 weeks. 2nd storey underway after 3 weeks.

IMG_6570.JPG

Looking good sas! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dorky dave

Hi there all, sorry to hear about the last guy and the shoddy work done to his house..
    I have a question and hope somebody might be able to help or give me some advice as it is in relation to my stairs. I am preparing to pour an in-situ concrete stairs in my new build, i have priced around wrought iron railings and they appear to be extremely expensive, approx 7000 Euro to do both sides and the landing area. Can anybody offer advice to an alternative, i was thinking of shuttering both sides of the stairs and and tiling the sides and putting a rail on top, unsure though of the extra loading that will be incurred on the precast beams as the beams will be the connection proping the stairs, any one have an alternative to this. I want to avoid a timber handrail if at all possible

Regards.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Why not check out something like a stainless framework and glazed inserts. They could be as expensive though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 dorky dave

Hi there thanks for the reply, have checked out that option also and glass insert even more expensive than wrought..

Advertisement