Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

Don't forget to address the big thermal bridge for the risingwall. 25mm of phenolic won't deal with the heat loss at the top of the rising wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Great feeling after lots of great work, to see the lights on inside today :). another milestone!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

hi folks
    meeting with the electrician tomorrow to sort out first fixing have any of yes and recommendations or things I should include

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Run cables for electric gates and garden lights - even if you wont use for a while.
    Have master switch beside door of living room to knock off all power to sockets at tv area (leave one socket off this for recording device)
    Run 2 tv points to every room - 4 to living room. Run 2 Network to each as well - all TV will be over Cat cable very soon.
    Run 5/6 cables from central point in house to location for satelite and ariel - run a couple of Cat5e as well for future proofing.
    Have a double socket in every corner.
    Ensure you have sufficient outside sockets.
    Plan to have any patio area etc? Run a cable now anyway for suitable lighting.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭uptowngirly

Kingshankly - don't know if it's your cup of tea, but I plan to have low -level lighting in the hall/landing (kind of like runway lights but not as bright obviously!) and maybe a very dim led in the ensuites at night.

I also like the idea of wiring outdoor lights to come on if the house alarm goes off. And while on the subject of alarms, make sure you wire for one as a wired alarm is miles cheaper than a wireless installation and the cost of running alarm wire to windows/doors etc is minimal in comparison to the savings.

I'm planning lots of x10 lights/sockets!

I agree with all of JuniorB's suggestions too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SARAH ANNE

just a query noticed my roofer used 4 pound lead on valleys, is this correct also lead flashing is nailed into chimney,(chimney not plastered yet), is this proper will the water not run inside the nailed lead and leak.

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

I sorted out a roofer today and the block layer starts next week. I can't believe how fast this is all moving along now. Time to find a plasterer and an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭awnow

hi folks
    meeting with the electrician tomorrow to sort out first fixing have any of yes and recommendations or things I should include

thanks in advance

If you have an upstairs in your house, consider installing a distribution board (fuesboard) upstairs in addition to d/stairs. Have done this before; it saves alot of time labour wise and I'm doing it again in my own house.

Use "PL" downlighters as opposed to low-voltage downlighters; much greater light output, spread of light, more efficient, will give less problems and LV downlighters presen much more of a fire risk. The only thing here to look out for is you need a ceiling void depth of ~200mm to facilitate their installation, but well worth considering in my experience. If I think of anythin else I'll post back but good luck otherwise and let us knw what ideas your spark suggests!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭newhouse

SARAH ANNE wrote: »
    just a query noticed my roofer used 4 pound lead on valleys, is this correct also lead flashing is nailed into chimney,(chimney not plastered yet), is this proper will the water not run inside the nailed lead and leak.

thanks in advance

personaly myself i'ed pefer if a grove was cut and the lead fixed into it before its plastered, builders will tell you that it makes no diference, it certainly easier (for the builder) to just nail it on, the call is yours, if it was my chimney i would insist it was cut in, and cut at a slight upward inward angle...........

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭AMG86

hi folks

thanks in advance

Might be a bit late. I sugest lights in attic to see around when you are up there. Think also about about installing some anti frost gear. We had severe weather at both ends of 2010. Will there be a need for lights etc. outside in the garden/shed sometime. Leave out a lead now. It would easier to connect to it as opposed to trying to boring a hole in 2 or 3 years time. It can be blanked off for now.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,585 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

SARAH ANNE wrote: »

thanks in advance

do you know if hes going to put an apron piece over it before plastering???

Thanks all for your response

no sydthebeat, no apron bit over the lead.i have also been looking at the mesh on the dormars is a disgrace, the plasterer will not be able to finish in to the windows.

and I have decided to put natural slates on the roof so i have got other good slater to price the roof but the original roofer is telling him very force that he is most entitled to the job since he roofed the house, my honest opinion is that if he goes at it the house will leak within a few years with 4 pound lead on the valleys.

very distressed

I am almost too excited to sleep. The blocklayers are starting in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,082 ✭✭✭✭muffler

LoTwan wrote: »
    I am almost too excited to sleep. The blocklayers are starting in the morning.
    Dont worry they'll be fully clothed in this weather :D

muffler wrote: »
    Dont worry they'll be fully clothed in this weather :D

Dear God I hope so. And thank you very much for putting that image in my head. I am already the talk of the townland, the last thing I need is naked builders :eek: (why is there no puking emoticon when you need one?)

Dear God I hope so. And thank you very much for putting that image in my head. I am already the talk of the townland, the last thing I need is naked builders :eek: (why is there no puking emoticon when you need one?)
    :D:D lol

I don't think this would go down well in the wilds of Westmeath ;)

My builders...

I don't think this would go down well in the wilds of Westmeath ;)

My builders...
    That looks very like one of our regulars here ;)

Bloody wind! That's all I have to say on the matter.

I had frost & snow when I wanted to pour concrete & now wind & rain when I want to build walls. I am not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Been a while since I had anything to report. Exciting few months ahead. Windows arrive on 7th March.

House roof is finally slated.

Also, we installed a metal double skinned flue. This is connected to a masonry flue in the roof space (which was all sorts of fun). This was required in order to easily include a chimney damper that the PHI wanted me to install. Hopefully it works once the stove gets going!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 peabee

Hi. My husband and I are trying to put together our costings for the mortgage. The list from the bank seems endless and as we are totally new to all of this, haven't a clue where to begin. I saw an irish website that offers a build cost estimator service... what do people think? I realise we will have to price things at some stage (like kitchen etc) but the thoughts of trying to price "plasterwork and finishes" at this early stage makes me want to pull my hair out! Any advice would be great!

Get a Bill of Quantities done up by a QS. It will put it all out there in black and white for you.

I know it's me again but my joists (or Joyces as my FIL would say) are going in on Tuesday. I could have stood and watched the blocklayers all day :)

just a quick query, should the tyvek let water in running down the rafters, no slates yet, and why is this.

Finally got to update the blog with a few more up to date photos..
    http://carrickaneha.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

You are setting the bar pretty high there JuniorB, looks fantastic. Nice job on the glass balustrade

Cheers Soldsold, mad the amount of work on details to get it the way the boss wanted.. very happy with the result... even if it bankrupts me!

JuniorB wrote: »
    Finally got to update the blog with a few more up to date photos..
    http://carrickaneha.blogspot.com/
    Looks great. Well done. :)

I love the little curve on the landing. Is that for the inevitable little drunken sway we men tend to have when tip-toeing in from the pub at 2 AM and trying to avoid wakening anyone? ;)

Looks fab JuniorB :)

I hadn't thought of glass over wood for the stairs but it is fantastic.

My roofers are starting in the morning and I hammered out a very nice deal with the plasterer :)

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Looks great. Well done. :)

I love the little curve on the landing. Is that for the inevitable little drunken sway we men tend to have when tip-toeing in from the pub at 2 AM and trying to avoid wakening anyone? ;)

Cheers, that's the plan alright... when I can afford to get drunk again in about 10 years time!
    For now it works well with a 2 and a 3 year old flying up and down..
    Looks fab JuniorB smile.gif

I hadn't thought of glass over wood for the stairs but it is fantastic.

My roofers are starting in the morning and I hammered out a very nice deal with the plasterer smile.gif

Thanks, stairs turned out well, still a bit of painting for me to do to get it 100%. Had a great joiner and carpenter which made that part of it enjoyable. Don't talk to me about curved glass though!

Best of luck with the roofing ... did you use the plasterer I sent you? Good luck with it anyway.

Advertisement