Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

No, I went with a local guy who works with my block layer. He took me up on the offer I made him ;)

I noticed the stairgates at the top and bottom of the stairs :D

Me again :)

Finally the weather is on my side. It is beautiful roofing weather :)

I met with the electricians today and marked out the points & switches.

The plasterer is going in tomorrow to scud the walls. The windows are ordered and are due for installation at the end of next week. Plumber is going in on Thursday to do the first fix.

I am loathe to say it but I am running 2.5 weeks ahead of schedule :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭irishshadowfax

Hi All, I recently bought Delamain door knobs and a Delamain thumb turn for a bathroom door. I am putting them on 6 panel doors, however the standard door lock means the knob hits the door frame when closing. So what I want to do is move the knob away from the frame and downwards so it sits directly in between the panels (see picture for example). Can anyone recommend a lock for both a standard door and a bathroom that will achieve this, and if possible where could I get them?! I'm not asking much :D

Reclaimed-Pine-4-Panel-Door_49263_1.jpg

Thanks!!
    IS

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

The weatherman sayeth "we can't be having that" !

LoTwan wrote: »

I am loathe to say it but I am running 2.5 weeks ahead of schedule :)

7 weeks & 3 days after the rising walls were started my build is wind and water tight. The french doors went in this afternoon and the slates were finished this morning. The electricians were in yesterday chasing the walls, the plasterer got started today, the cavity is being pumped & the 1st fix plumbing is being done on Monday & I have decided on a waste treatment system. The well is getting pumped tomorrow so I can get it tested early next week. It is all systems go. I ordered my stairs today.

So far only the roofer (who drives in from Leitrim but we forgive him because he still plays for the local GAA) is the only non Westmeath involvement (except for a load of pea gravel I had to buy in from Offaly).

But the best thing yet is not having to pay ESB Networks €1247 more than I have to :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Been a while since I've had anything to post. Been in the lull waiting for the windows.

Anyway, electrician started chasing today. Want this completed if possible before the windows land on 23rd.

I also have settled on the EWI contractor. Complete minefield this one.

Waiting on a plumbing quote and looking to sort out the HRV.

This is where the fun starts. Need to get HRV ducting in down stairs before we can fit the suspended ceiling rail system. Need the rail system in before the electricians start wiring.

There's an awful lot of money to be spent in the next 3 months.

Currently targetting the Oct. bank holiday for the move in. Any over run then gets us in for christmas I hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

sas wrote: »

After 2.5 years of planning\changing minds etc we started on 27 Oct.

The aim is to have a certified passive house built using direct labour at the end of this.

The house is 3256 sq foot 2 storey.

Next job was to prepare the stone base for the insulated raft.

Hi sas,
    I see you're get close to the end of your self-build - good for you!

Can I bring you back to the start and ask what did your insulated raft foundation cost you? Can I take it is was 1628 sq ft?
    Apologies if I've missed the costings posted elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

just do it wrote: »
    Hi sas,
    I see you're get close to the end of your self-build - good for you!

Can I bring you back to the start and ask what did your insulated raft foundation cost you? Can I take it is was 1628 sq ft?
    Apologies if I've missed the costings posted elsewhere.

Not sure what gave you the idea that I'm close to the end but thanks anyway!

Not prepared to disclose the price on the raft. Main reason being that the area of the raft is only part of what affects the price. The shape also makes a big difference because the perimeter for that particular raft is moulded and not cut. Hence it's more expensive. The perimeter of each raft has custom made pieces combined with standard modules. There is no cutting on the perimeter on site, each block is connected tongue and groove to the next. So although I could tell you what it cost, it wouldn't allow you to make an informed decision.

Having said that, if I were to be starting again and IF (and it's a big 'if' right now) I was going passive, I'd seriously consider purchasing blocks of XPS and doing a bespoke raft. It would definitely be cheaper.

There have been attempts at this already here but in the cases I'm aware of regular EPS was used. This is the polysytrene variant most effected by moisture. My raft is made from peripor which is the more water resistant version of EPS. XPS can't be moulded so Peripor is specified in my raft system.

Hope this in some way helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dare2dream

Hi,
    This thread looks great, some of the builds really impressive - wow

We are at the moment trying to get some quotes from different builders/contractors on our house plans.

However, we do not have 'working plans' as of yet just the plans that are going in for planning permission - do you feel it's worth it to get quotes from builders on these plans or is it better to have a set of working plans so they can quote more accurateley?

Also I'd appreciate any thoughts on an energy efficient build and what additional cost is this?

Thanks for any advice.
    Dolores

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Hi all, great thread

Heres where im at, electrician coming next week to second fix, hopefully have power in the next 'few' weeks, then heating system on ( Air-to-Water Heat Pump, UFH, MHRV ), after a few weeks tiler, timber floors, kitchen, second fix carpentry etc.... well thats the plan anyway.

Thanks
    Jb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

I'd advise you to get onto ESB Networks sooner rather than later, they can put up the pole etc before you get the cert and will be ready to roll once they get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Hi Gary

Have been on to them, existing pole on site which we are using, and duct in, so just need the cert, but thanks for that

JB

Our plasterers started inside on Monday and will be finished tomorrow evening (thank you fine weather). Gutters and downpipes are going on tomorrow (no fascia and soffit here). Stud walls going up on Monday with second fix electrics by the end of next week.

Now I need a painter and a tiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭awnow

Stonework about 75% there, walls being marked out for chasing this week ahead of electrical 1st fix due to start in 2-3weeks time. Chasing next week. Carrying out some prep work at the minute for the 1st fix. Ceilings being dropped the week after next. So its all go go go at the minute...great!! :D

YAY! I'm not the only one.

Electrician were in today doing the 2nd fix. Stud work was slabbed and the flooring measured up. The electricians will be ready to issue the cert on Tuesday. Internal doors were ordered yesterday.

Painter is coming in next Friday, stairs are being fitted on Monday week. It is all go around here :)

Oh, and the polishing filter will be constructed at the end of next week as well :)

Then all I need is a pump for my well and a moving van!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,082 ✭✭✭✭muffler

LoTwan wrote: »
    Then all I need is a pump for my well and a moving van!
    And a guest list for the house warming party. I'll PM you my address ;)

Good to see you're near the finishing post.

Pump man is coming tomorrow & it will be more of an "open door" than a house warning party :lol:

I had a tiler in today to give me a price which made my eyes pop out of my head :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Have a good fella for tiles, great work, in Cork though :D

Considering the fact that my carpenter is the only tradesman who doesn't live in a 15 mile radius of my build (but he plays for the local GAA club so we forgive him) I don't see myself hiring someone from Cork :D Even if he holds awards in tiling :p

We are into busy times now...

Ducting for ESB is going in tomorrow and the cert is being submitted.
    Painter is starting on Thursday
    Waste treatment tank is being installed on Friday
    Stairs are being installed on Monday
    Flooring is being fitted on Tuesday
    Tiling is being done on Wednesday
    2nd fix plumbing on Thursday
    Stuff is being moved in Wednesday - Friday
    Humans are moving in on Saturday
    SO's 40th birthday and older sons 6th birthday celebrations on Sunday

What will I get them for their birthdays next year? ;)

There is a kitchen being fitted in there somewhere but who knows when? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Slabbers finishing up today or early next week. Plasterers started last Monday and reckon the house will take them about two weeks.

Ducting and all for ESB is ready and connectors have been put in for geothermal heat pump.

Am I a fool for thinking I'll be in during July?

My plasterers finished on March 25th & I'm moving in next week. July is certainly doable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

JuniorB wrote: »
    Finally got to update the blog with a few more up to date photos..
    http://carrickaneha.blogspot.com/

Hey junior B, thats a serious job you've done there. Just trying to figure out your skirting board, is it a painted 6 x 1 with an inlayed strip of oak?

My ESB cert is in as is the ducting so I will be on the phone to them in the morning.

The digger rolled onto site at midday today to get started on the polishing filter at daybreak tomorrow.

The stairs are being fitted tomorrow too (which I can't wait for because I am so over climbing the ladder) and we spent the day whacking mortar and skim off the floors before the flooring gets laid on Tuesday.

Everything is on target for us to move in at the end of the week (even if we are camping without electricity :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

johnpawl wrote: »
    Hey junior B, thats a serious jod you've done there. Just trying to figure out your skirting board, is it a painted 6 x 1 with an inlayed strip of oak?

Thanks JohnPawl
    Nothing that complicated I'm afraid!
    5 inch MDF for skirting, 3 inch for architrave.
    Cut into strips from MDF sheet by our joiner (Disadvantage of this is that you end up with 8ft lengths and more 'joins' than a std 12/14 ft off the shelf mdf skirting)
    Then he routed in the 'design' strip/groove and and angled off the top side slightly. Local spay painter gave it a couple of coats. Spray gun couldn't get into the groove so it kept it's mdf colour as such. Have slowly but surely been getting around to painting in the groove.:) I wanted to leave as it was but the Mrs wanted the groove painted in.
    Total cost - €750 for joiner (incl MDF) €400 for spray painter (incl paint).
    Delighted with finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Inital stages of a build was started a month or so ago. And when i mean initial im talking house design. We have a frist draft done, but after subsequent site inspections and test holes we need to alter the footprint due to the fact that the site is soft and we need to keep the footprint of the house to a more suitable shape for the raft foundation.

We're going to do a 2000 - 2400 sqft house, i want smaller she wants bigger, I dont think she realises how big 2000 sq ft is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

snyper wrote: »
    Inital stages of a build was started a month or so ago. And when i mean initial im talking house design. We have a frist draft done, but after subsequent site inspections and test holes we need to alter the footprint due to the fact that the site is soft and we need to keep the footprint of the house to a more suitable shape for the raft foundation.

We're going to do a 2000 - 2400 sqft house, i want smaller she wants bigger, I dont think she realises how big 2000 sq ft is :D

Typical woman snyper:D

Show her a few larger houses nearby and give her a fright with projected heating/running costs and how that will have an impact on the shoes/handbag/hairdressing budget!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,082 ✭✭✭✭muffler

snyper wrote: »
    Id call that revenge for all the times you stuck your ugly mug into her pics :D

Stairs and flooring went in today. YAY!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SARAH ANNE

hi,
    THE natural slates are going on today they are cupa and look good the slater is top quality and if any one wants an A1 slater or roofer anywhere north of cork just pm me the work is unbelievable in comparison to some of the clowns you see on the roof just throwing up the slates and not sorting or grading them.
    on another note ive finshed dealing with a slate company not tegral begining with c lol a bigger shower of cowboys ive never come across, now its bye bye.

Advertisement