Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭New build in sight

muffler wrote: »
    With good, steady work I dont see why you cant achieve that target

Thats the kind of positivity we need, now i just need to convince himself of this too ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

HRV first fix done. Nearing the completion of 1st fix plumbing and electrics. Blown insulation starting tomorrow. Cavity is already pumped. Delay on the windows but due end of this week (start of next no doubt).

Builder is primed to get stuck into dry-lining and floor screed before we go about taping all the joints etc for air-tightness.

Went for underfloor heating throughout in the end working off an air-to-water heat pump backed up by an existing oil-boiler we salvaged from the original dwelling. Went two grand over budget to do so because I wanted the solar tubes which I originally was just going to plumb for but not actually install. Plumber convinced me but I think I got a decent price for the whole job - 22,000

Electrics came in on budget exactly - 10,000. There's a good bit in there so again, think I did well.
    I've 2xCat6, 2xCT100 and 1xRG6 to 5 TV points.
    Local-run of HDMI to two of those (corner to TV wall-mount).
    Wired for surround sound in two locations.
    5amp circuits for bedside and lounge lamps/sockets.
    Cat6 to each bedside, kitchen, living, lounge, sunroom and study.
    Full burglar alarm with shock detectors on all ground-floor windows.
    Wiring to future electric gate.
    Outside lights on 4 corners.
    Outdoor sockets front and rear.
    70/80 odd sockets within the house.
    Wiring to all Kitchen, Utility, Hot Press appliances and showers and wiring to air-source-heat pump (obv).

MHRV and Centralised Vaccuum came in around 5600 euro. 600 euro over budget for MHRV only so Vaccum essentially installed for 600 quid (that's how my mind works anyways :p)

Oh - Sanitary Ware for main bathroom, ensuite and downstairs toilet came in at 3400 sterling (4000 euro) - 1400 euro below budget.

Tiles we priced also - 105 sq yards of flooring and approx 85 sq yards walls in bathrooms. Tiles came in at 3000 sterling, Tiler quoted 2,200 for the whole lot plus adhesive which will be about 400 he reckons. So 6 grand to tile where we need it. Sounds a lot and it is but there's a serious amount of floor to be covered.

With the underfloor I expect the tiles to function the best too. I'm researching low-tog underlay and carpet for certain rooms but otherwise will consider laminate or semi-solid. Solid is recommended against but apparently if you give it enough time to settle before laying it until the moisture content is super-low it can work quite well. More research required but I can see the flooring being my next big headache in terms of decision making.

HRV first fix done. Nearing the completion of 1st fix plumbing and electrics. Blown insulation starting tomorrow. Cavity is already pumped. Delay on the windows but due end of this week (start of next no doubt).

Builder is primed to get stuck into dry-lining and floor screed before we go about taping all the joints etc for air-tightness.

Went for underfloor heating throughout in the end working off an air-to-water heat pump backed up by an existing oil-boiler we salvaged from the original dwelling. Went two grand over budget to do so because I wanted the solar tubes which I originally was just going to plumb for but not actually install. Plumber convinced me but I think I got a decent price for the whole job - 22,000

Electrics came in on budget exactly - 10,000. There's a good bit in there so again, think I did well.
    I've 2xCat6, 2xCT100 and 1xRG6 to 5 TV points.
    Local-run of HDMI to two of those (corner to TV wall-mount).
    Wired for surround sound in two locations.
    5amp circuits for bedside and lounge lamps/sockets.
    Cat6 to each bedside, kitchen, living, lounge, sunroom and study.
    Full burglar alarm with shock detectors on all ground-floor windows.
    Wiring to future electric gate.
    Outside lights on 4 corners.
    Outdoor sockets front and rear.
    70/80 odd sockets within the house.
    Wiring to all Kitchen, Utility, Hot Press appliances and showers and wiring to air-source-heat pump (obv).

MHRV and Centralised Vaccuum came in around 5600 euro. 600 euro over budget for MHRV only so Vaccum essentially installed for 600 quid (that's how my mind works anyways :p)

Oh - Sanitary Ware for main bathroom, ensuite and downstairs toilet came in at 3400 sterling (4000 euro) - 1400 euro below budget.

Tiles we priced also - 105 sq yards of flooring and approx 85 sq yards walls in bathrooms. Tiles came in at 3000 sterling, Tiler quoted 2,200 for the whole lot plus adhesive which will be about 400 he reckons. So 6 grand to tile where we need it. Sounds a lot and it is but there's a serious amount of floor to be covered.

With the underfloor I expect the tiles to function the best too. I'm researching low-tog underlay and carpet for certain rooms but otherwise will consider laminate or semi-solid. Solid is recommended against but apparently if you give it enough time to settle before laying it until the moisture content is super-low it can work quite well. More research required but I can see the flooring being my next big headache in terms of decision making.

Hi! Well done on your build so far!

Curious.... how did you pump your cavity without the windows in??? This is the part we are struggling with at the moment, but we have our windows in now and need to figure out how to close the reveals/cavities....

Hi! Well done on your build so far!

Curious.... how did you pump your cavity without the windows in??? This is the part we are struggling with at the moment, but we have our windows in now and need to figure out how to close the reveals/cavities....

The outer leaf was turned in 90 degrees around each window to meet a strip of kingspan insulation against the inner leaf and form a seal. Was a fairly tidy job I have to admit. Builder seemed like he knew what he was at. I'll be out on site over the next day or two. I'll try to get a picture.

The outer leaf was turned in 90 degrees around each window to meet a strip of kingspan insulation against the inner leaf and form a seal. Was a fairly tidy job I have to admit. Builder seemed like he knew what he was at. I'll be out on site over the next day or two. I'll try to get a picture.

That sounds like something we should have done! Any ideas why our builder would not have put an L block in place around windows? We are returning 50mm insulated board around inner block to window frame. But we are unsure if we can do this now without any insulating tape? Will the bead be ok held in by the insulated board and plaster?

:confused:

• Advertisement

Should be. I had one small hole where the beads pissed out all over the place. This was quickly patched and held firm for the remainder of the pumping. Only beads - no weight in them at all.

As promised. The L actually was brought outwards from the inner leaf. You can see the strips of kingspan in the surround and then a poured concrete section on the inner sill.

They had since splashed the outer leaf so that's why it's speckled with shíte. Looked a lot tidier last time I was out. :o

239840.jpg

239841.jpg

Thank you for this! It really helped me understand the logistics of it all coming together!

You can actually see the beads a little bit about 100mm down from the splash of cement in the second pic. That was about the worst example of any gap left I that could find just to show you what to expect. The first pic was a snug fit all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

As promised. The L actually was brought outwards from the inner leaf. You can see the strips of kingspan in the surround and then a poured concrete section on the inner sill.

They had since splashed the outer leaf so that's why it's speckled with shíte. Looked a lot tidier last time I was out. :o

239840.jpg

239841.jpg

Is this an alternative to using off the shelf cavity closures and is it a better method?

• Advertisement

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Is this an alternative to using off the shelf cavity closures and is it a better method?

Couldn't tell you lad. :)

That's how my architect and builder did it so that's how it was done. There may be better ways but I'm quite happy with how neat it generally is. Should be good and snug when the windows are in (assuming the windows are manufactured to measurements of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DAT64

Long time reader while we were building our house, decides to share some details & pics so far.

I put my costings up in the Prices/Costs Forum.

2500 sq ft house + garage, 2 storey. Started June 2012, hoping to be in by April. Went with contractor, very happy with build so far. Weather slowed alot of things down but its getting there.

100mm cavity blocks, concrete slabs, UPVC windows (some sliding sash, 1 large window triple glazed) Doors are ultra tech from muns joinery. Attic is floored with plywood, we added in 3 velux windows as roof went on as they space was too good to leave closed. We have a staira going to attic, some day in the future we may convert it.

Heating is oil, solars for hot water, back of house is south facing. We decided against underfloor heating & back boiler for our own reasons, maybe we will regret it later but we are very content with our choice.

Main bathroom & master ensuite have pumped power shower wet rooms, guest ensuite has 900 quadrant pumped shower also. No electrics!!!

We are at plastering stage, they have slabbed (50mm insulated slab), sealed around windows, put in window boards & door frames and have completed most of sand & cement & are skimming all internal walls at present, bit too cold for outside. Cavity being pumped next week.

2nd fixes in next 2 wks, electrics, plumbing & carpentry. Trying to arrange someone to spray paint at the moment (any recommendations in Munster?).

Picked tiles & tiler - he can start in 2 wks. Picked internal doors - solid oak - white deal skirting & arch we will paint them ourselves. Our budget didnt stretch to all oak. Bought white goods. Picked out timber floor & carpets. Hard to believe we are finally deciding on inside details instead of the actual construction & structural things.

Some pics attached from the start to block stage will uploads some more at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

Air tightness test completed value of 2.08 m3/m2/hr @ 50Pa
    Final fix plumbing , electrics & carpentry all under way
    Kitchen arrived on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

1100010110 wrote: »
    Air tightness test completed value of 2.08 m3/m2/hr @ 50Pa
    What were you hoping for?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

Contracter is in contract to a value of 2.0, average of the test came out at 2.08, there was some discrepancy in the two readings which should be sorted with the attic hatch going in, some tidying up under window boards and a service duct leading to the garage being tidied up.
    Lucky for me my contractor is extremely proud of his work and trades on his well deserved good reputation, hence his push for the elimination of 0.08 above the 2.0

If memory serves correct first part of test gave a value of 2.6, second part of test gave a value of 1.56, or in and around those values, contractor unhappy with the difference in the two results but person conducting test seemed to be ok with them, and that the remedial work of tidying up window boards, attic hatch & final boxing off of (3 small sections) unskimmed blockwork behind service ducts would bring the higher value down into line with the lower value.

Start date July 7th 2012

Starting putting rigid insulation in eaves today, got about 3 rooms almost complete with the help of a freind :)

Hopefully starting the ceiling boards tomorrow if we get a working generator (joys of a self build )

Facia & soffit completed today, except downpipes and sunroom due to the plasterer needed to do gables. We dont want to mess up our lovely aluminium gutters :)

All coming along nicely, we'll get as much insulation done this weekend as we can. And next week we hope to see plastering started and plumbing 2nd part of 1st fix in.

Moving in wish date is June 1st!!!

Windows! \o/

Never thought I'd see the day. One frame was damaged in transit though so has to be sorted out. But still. Windows!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bigalk

hi all,

if anyone want impartial advice on underlays / underfloor heating / damp proof membranes (DPMs) or anything else flooring related - just ask. ive been in the trade since i was a kid knocking round my dads carpet shop, too long ago.....

if anyone is looking for recommendations on 'the best' underfloor heating underlay, i would always recommend going with a UK / European manufactured product that is specially made for the task. you will pay more for these products, but from experience i have seen a lot of unhappy people who have installed cheaper products (that have had a low tog rating from the manufacturer) but did not seem to perform to spec.

I do not know of any 'hack' that you can use to test the tog rating at home so stick with a manufacturer that you feel you can depend on. if you buy something that is not performing - you will be paying for the pleasure for as long as the floor is down!

Best,
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bigalk

hi all,

just had a user request info about UFH underlay. I have posted this in the past, but here it is again.

The best two underlays i have ever seen (but am totally open to correction here) are "Quicktherm" for wood flooring and "Everspring Eclipse" for carpet. both are specifically manufactured for underfloor heating and i have never seen a lower tog rating on similar products!
    Both are perforated to allow the heat through.

when i say "best" i am talking about tog rating only. Other underlays may be more luxurious / comfortable / whatever, but at the end of the day a higher tog is going to cost you more money every time you turn your heating on

both are at the higer end of the price scale but you can be sure that they do what they say they do!

<SNIP>

Alan

Mod edit: Please read the forum charter (particularly section 4.2) before posting again. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,081 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Okay then, let's stick with the topic which is updates on self builds as they progress. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

1 full week insulating the house and I'm not finished, 89 rolls of insulation in total. Dormers are fun to insulate, but I have 200mm metac .33 between rafters and at side studs and 400mm in the attic. This better bloody be a warm house.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭brophis

First sunny day since solar air heating system was commissioned. Brought whole house up a couple of degrees and raised temp of cylinder by 10 degrees and all that using little power, nice! Off to a good start and cuts down on requirement for heat pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

brophis wrote: »
    solar air heating system

What is this?

Start date July 7th 2012

External plastering flying along.

Front door in, back door waiting to go in, arrived with problems as usual!

Interior ceiling slabs started this evening.

Plumbing is in progress (2nd part of 1st fix, so i believe...)

Loads happening :)

kboc wrote: »

What is this?
    My HRV system has 2 heat exchangers in it, one connected to 60 solar tubes and one to an air source heat pump. If its a sunny day and the house is below a set temperature the tubes will feed heat to the HRV system and trickle warm air into the house and also heat water if needed. Heat can be drawn from the tank at night if required or boosted by heat pump.
    Also have ufh downstairs and bathrooms upstairs. Heat pump has been heating house lovely but the solar helps drop demand for heatpump when it's sunny. Need some more data to see how much if an impact.

Google ires controller and it should link you to more details.

Start date July 7th 2012

What a weekend! Cleaned and dusted out the whole house, this self build idea wasnt our brightest idea!

Backbreaking stuff! Got more of the insulation in too. Ceiling boards almost finished downstairs.

Have a slight drama, our built in hoover was drilled through.... !!!

PLumbing to continue this week and insulation and plastering. exterior is starting to look great, almost finished plastering.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Paudi04

Started on 18th feb 2013. Great weather, site cleared, foundations poured Wednesday, footings should be finished today with a view to pour Wednesday! Surprising how quickly it's going!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

:)
    brophis wrote: »
    My HRV system has 2 heat exchangers in it, one connected to 60 solar tubes and one to an air source heat pump. If its a sunny day and the house is below a set temperature the tubes will feed heat to the HRV system and trickle warm air into the house and also heat water if needed. Heat can be drawn from the tank at night if required or boosted by heat pump.
    Also have ufh downstairs and bathrooms upstairs. Heat pump has been heating house lovely but the solar helps drop demand for heatpump when it's sunny. Need some more data to see how much if an impact.

Google ires controller and it should link you to more details.
    correct me if I am wrong but do you or your engineer not see an issue with heating your hrv supply duct which will have some form of stagnant moisture which will create a breathing ground for leigenares (spell) I taught this was the reason hrv was slow to become intergreated with ch systems ie one unit to cover all aspects of ventilation and heating.

From reading your post the hrv unit sound great don't get me wrong i would have loved a unit simmular to your just didn't reilise thier existence as i just took delivery of two ventaxa units yesterday and am starting to install the systems ductwork myself tomorrow. total novice but that's selfbuild for ya.

esox28 wrote: »
    :)
    correct me if I am wrong but do you or your engineer not see an issue with heating your hrv supply duct which will have some form of stagnant moisture which will create a breathing ground for leigenares (spell) I taught this was the reason hrv was slow to become intergreated with ch systems ie one unit to cover all aspects of ventilation and heating.

From reading your post the hrv unit sound great don't get me wrong i would have loved a unit simmular to your just didn't reilise thier existence as i just took delivery of two ventaxa units yesterday and am starting to install the systems ductwork myself tomorrow. total novice but that's selfbuild for ya.
    That's an interesting point that wasn't brought up that I'll look into. Practically I don't think the supply ducting would have much if any stagnant moisture in it anyway so the risks should be minimal. The HRV unit itself is a proair with the heat exchangers shortly after the HRV unit. Nice way to boost the efficiency of the system.

• Advertisement

Started July 7th 2012

So cavity was pumped this week, insulated slabs have also started to go. Ceilings finished. Window boards and internal door frames are going up Monday and the remaining insulated slabs on external walls going up in Tuesday.
    Went pricing internal doors yesterday.... Yikes!
    Definately feel the home stretch coming....

Advertisement