Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Plasterers finished up 2 weeks ago so just working on getting everything tidied up and ready for the floors. I see the floors as a significant milestone and can't wait to get them in. Making a push to get into the house this summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Boards.ie having some technical problems attachments don't work I think? I can't see the last few photos you guys posted. I would post photos but no progress on my site since late October when the builder downed tools, and now this week they went bust ! Yep I would have to pick the only builder in Ireland who goes bust in 2016 :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭893bet

Timber floors down! Doors hanging (well half hanging). Appliances on site for kitchen!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Those doing self-build.... did ye take out self build Insurance? Did it cover 1. Public liability, 2. Employer's liability and 3. Site Insurance? And roughly how much did it cost? Ta

Those doing self-build.... did ye take out self build Insurance? Did it cover 1. Public liability, 2. Employer's liability and 3. Site Insurance? And roughly how much did it cost? Ta

Yes, covered all.... think it came in at about €1,300 for 12 months.

• Advertisement

I paid 12-1300 for 18 month policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭THE DON FANUCCI

893bet wrote: »
    I paid 12-1300 for 18 month policy.

what is the name of this insurance? as in what type of cover is it called :confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

what is the name of this insurance? as in what type of cover is it called :confused:

Please send a PM looking for specifics thanks.

BryanF wrote: »
    Please send a PM looking for specifics thanks.

why? i'm not looking for the company name or company details:confused:

Self build insurance.

I got it through a broker. Very few companies actually do it.

• Advertisement

Ouch I was not expecting it to cost that much! Plus mine is a policy starting with walls complete already so hopefully they won't penalise me by charging even more.

Ouch I was not expecting it to cost that much! Plus mine is a policy starting with walls complete already so hopefully they won't penalise me by charging even more.

My insurance required a green field site (had to send a copy of commencement notice I think). So if you started already might not be possible.

893bet wrote: »
    My insurance required a green field site (had to send a copy of commencement notice I think). So if you started already might not be possible.

It'll be possible alright I'd say just with clauses!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

If you are employing a contractor you may not need the full self build insurance. When I was building I just needed house under construction insurance and the contractor's insurance covered the rest.

db wrote: »
    If you are employing a contractor you may not need the full self build insurance. When I was building I just needed house under construction insurance and the contractor's insurance covered the rest.

Nope going builder-free from this point on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

It'll be possible alright I'd say just with clauses!

Not to rain on the parade but there isn't a hope of getting ins once you've started. They will only ins prior to commencement.

hexosan wrote: »
    Not to rain on the parade but there isn't a hope of getting ins once you've started. They will only ins prior to commencement.

Just got a quote from one that will......
    Only difference is they'll give me the Public liability and the Employer's liability no bother, but they will only give reduced level of Site Insurance coz I've already commenced.
    Normal Site Insurance would cover: Theft, malicious damage, accidental damage, fire, lightning, explosion + aircraft.
    But because I've already commenced they'll only cover: Fire, lightning, explosion + aircraft

Lights on but is there anyone at home? Absolutely delighted to get the electricity connected. Finished floors up next! ;)

Lights on feels like such a huge step! Great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Barney what have you coming out of the bottom of the walls.

• Advertisement

hexosan wrote: »
    Barney what have you coming out of the bottom of the walls.

If it's the membrane you mean Hex then it's the dpc/radon membrane.

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Lights on but is there anyone at home? Absolutely delighted to get the electricity connected. Finished floors up next! ;)

whats that 4inch wavin pipe for sticking out of the floor? toilet or stove or something :confused:

whats that 4inch wavin pipe for sticking out of the floor? toilet or stove or something :confused:

For the kitchen sink. Have another 4 inch Wavin pipe out of the picture for a stove.

For the kitchen sink. Have another 4 inch Wavin pipe out of the picture for a stove.

4inch for kitchen sink ? please tell on. is this standard??:confused:

4inch for kitchen sink ? please tell on. is this standard??:confused:

Sink, dishwasher, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Can I ask you why you left the finished floors until now? I am currently building myself and as soon as I am watertight I plan on putting in the finished floors to give the floors the max time before putting finished on, ie tiles timber floors etc. Just wondering if there is something I am possible forgetting about and that I am planning the wrong thing?

JimmyMW wrote: »
    Can I ask you why you left the finished floors until now? I am currently building myself and as soon as I am watertight I plan on putting in the finished floors to give the floors the max time before putting finished on, ie tiles timber floors etc. Just wondering if there is something I am possible forgetting about and that I am planning the wrong thing?

I'm not in the trade but it's just another way of doing it I suppose. During the drying out time I will be putting in percolation system, drains, etc. as well as out shopping for tiles, laminates, doors, bathrooms, etc. I suppose this approach allows plastering, etc. to happen first (can be messy) so it doesn't impact on the finished floors, pipes, etc. Maybe someone else can enlighten?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

I'm not in the trade but it's just another way of doing it I suppose. During the drying out time I will be putting in percolation system, drains, etc. as well as out shopping for tiles, laminates, doors, bathrooms, etc. I suppose this approach allows plastering, etc. to happen first (can be messy) so it doesn't impact on the finished floors, pipes, etc. Maybe someone else can enlighten?

Ya I believe you need to allow 1mm/day drying before laying floors, so between 75 & 100 days depending on the floor build-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Looks good. I'm roughly at the same stage. Got connected just yesterday. Will be looking to paint everywhere before getting the floors down.

• Advertisement

Sink, dishwasher, etc.

are you running the sink and dishwasher both into that 4ich pipe? sounds like good idea.
    how do you connect

Advertisement