Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

After months of no progress on site roof has started with block layers starting to build the gables :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

After months of no progress on site roof has started with block layers starting to build the gables :)

what wall make up are you building too & what is the return detail on your windows - hard to see in the picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

fclauson wrote: »
    what wall make up are you building too & what is the return detail on your windows - hard to see in the picture?

6 inch cavity with pumped beed insulation inside then insulated plasterboard on the inside of the external walls.
    Don't know what ''return detail'' means re windows sorry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

6 inch cavity with pumped beed insulation inside then insulated plasterboard on the inside of the external walls.
    Don't know what ''return detail'' means re windows sorry?

Have you done a FRSI calc to show you will not get condensation behind the plasterboard !!

The return detail is about what detail will you use around the windows to reduce the thermal bridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

We're well into our 1.5 storey over basement here in Germany. Plenty of the usual stress to report but it's coming along fast now. We're building a reinforced concrete waterproof cellar (groundwater at 2m depth) with a prefabricated timber frame house atop. Cellar and house from 2 different builders.

Ground floor screed went in over the UFH today.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

The black strips?
    Expansion joints?

murphaph wrote: »
    We're well into our 1.5 storey over basement here in Germany. Plenty of the usual stress to report but it's coming along fast now. We're building a reinforced concrete waterproof cellar (groundwater at 2m depth) with a prefabricated timber frame house atop. Cellar and house from 2 different builders.

Ground floor screed went in over the UFH today.

kboc wrote: »
    The black strips?
    Expansion joints?
    Yeah expansion joints and also used around the hearth as there's no UFH under there due to the potential heavy weight of a stove. I'll just tile over those ones and respect the proper expansion joints in the tiling.

The floor got screeded on Thursday. Looks well today but I was busy outside taking advantage of the scaffolding while I can to paint the barge boards. They are pretty high at the apex due to our 45°pitch. The apex is over 30 feet off the ground so I won't be climbing up there with a ladder any time soon.

Will pull a final few cables tomorrow as the builder has scheduled Monday to board out the ground floor walls. The good thing about this crowd is they leave an installation void behind the external walls so you can still push cables horizontally along if you need to add a socket here or there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Yeah expansion joints and also used around the hearth as there's no UFH under there due to the potential heavy weight of a stove. I'll just tile over those ones and respect the proper expansion joints in the tiling.

The floor got screeded on Thursday. Looks well today but I was busy outside taking advantage of the scaffolding while I can to paint the barge boards. They are pretty high at the apex due to our 45°pitch. The apex is over 30 feet off the ground so I won't be climbing up there with a ladder any time soon.

Will pull a final few cables tomorrow as the builder has scheduled Monday to board out the ground floor walls. The good thing about this crowd is they leave an installation void behind the external walls so you can still push cables horizontally along if you need to add a socket here or there.
    Is the chimney slated , is that the usual out there ?
    What finish is going on the outside?

Bullocks wrote: »
    Is the chimney slated , is that the usual out there ?
    What finish is going on the outside?
    Yeah slates cladding the chimney, standard enough here. It's a prefab double bore chimney. The stove draws it's fresh air down one of the bores. It saved us running a feed pipe through the cellar which is also living space. It was delivered to site in 2 sections and lifted in with the crane. The external 140mm insulation is yet to go on, then it'll just get plastered. The cellar will get a different colour, darker finish to complement the dark roof tiles.

• Advertisement

fclauson wrote: »
    Have you done a FRSI calc to show you will not get condensation behind the plasterboard !!

The return detail is about what detail will you use around the windows to reduce the thermal bridge

This is the plan. General labourer will install insulation before window install. Window vendor will pin them in place and getting an air tightness guy on board after that.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

This is the plan. General labourer will install insulation before window install. Window vendor will pin them in place and getting an air tightness guy on board after that.

jesus!

has your window installer seen that???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭893bet

Nice glass hearth! It's proped up here on some pieces of timber as not leaving it in place till stove being installed incase some one drops something on it! Will look better on floor!

sydthebeat wrote: »
    jesus!

Actually no.......I'll send it onto them. Still adjusting to there being no builder now and us having to fill in all those gaps.

Screed down on ground floor. Cellar guy is there today chasing the walls for the electrics and boring a load of holes for the various services into the utility room and on to the guest shower room.

Few pics from the utility room in the cellar..

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Few pics from the utility room in the cellar..

Looks like you have a major mouse problem there...and they might have worked out how to use a core drill. Scary.

Blue is colour!

Green is also the colour (this is the master bedroom, not the bathroom by the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

893bet wrote: »
    Blue is colour!

...watch out for the mouses. They've removed some of your skirting in preparation for coring some holes in your wall. Probably still got the core drill on hire from the murphaph job.

Sorry, slow morning.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    jesus!

Apparently it doesn't affect the window vendor. We will just make sure the insulation is in as per these drawings before he pins the windows in place, then the air tightness guy finishes off with the tape etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mel o

893bet wrote: »
    Blue is colour!

Lovely floor, what is it?

mel o wrote: »
    Lovely floor, what is it?

It's semi solid oak. I got it in Heiton Buckleys. I think the price is around 33 per sq yard. Often on sale at around 28-30 per.&

That's a great price, I think I'll investigate.

That's a great price, I think I'll investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

Progressing well..

Copy%20of%2020160310_151630_zpse6l8k8rz.jpg
    20160423_135320_zpsglo6qzly.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭FiOT

Hopefully I can finally give back to the site that's taught me so much! Foundations being poured today, very exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

FiOT wrote:
    Hopefully I can finally give back to the site that's taught me so much! Foundations being poured today, very exciting!

Best of luck with it, onwards and upwards from here...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭chillit

FiOT wrote: »

best of luck with the build

would be great if you can post photo updates as you progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭FiOT

chillit wrote: »
    best of luck with the build

would be great if you can post photo updates as you progress.

Will do, I've found everyone else's posts so useful so I'll try get as many updates as I can up. Might not always be the most informative but I'll try my best.

Advertisement