Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭THE DON FANUCCI

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Blockwork coming along nicely and very fast! :eek:

Images show the house, the 250mm cavity and Quinn Lite blocks at the wall/floor slab junction.

Hey barney, when you were building up your footings from foundation level. after you filled the base with hardcore, did you run the damp proof membrane over the blinding and over the blockwork and out over the inside leaf, then lay the top course of blocks directly on top of the dpm on the internal walls?
    if you know what I mean? basically did you leave off one course of blocks on the internal walls until the dpm was in place and then lay the top course :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭893bet

Took a long time to get this right!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

893bet wrote: »

looks v good, what diameter are the water pipes or is the picture distorted?.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mel o

Looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Hey barney, when you were building up your footings from foundation level. after you filled the base with hardcore, did you run the damp proof membrane over the blinding and over the blockwork and out over the inside leaf, then lay the top course of blocks directly on top of the dpm on the internal walls?
    if you know what I mean? basically did you leave off one course of blocks on the internal walls until the dpm was in place and then lay the top course :confused:

I had to use slabs so very different setup, so it was.

• Advertisement

looks v good, what diameter are the water pipes or is the picture distorted?.

Not distorted. Those pipe are prob around 50mm. Water pipes are standard size and are inside this pipes obvious. Standard fitting I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Upstairs studwork commenced. The electrician came on Friday which is super as the original plan said Monday and I am doing all the low voltage stuff myself so I wait until he's pulled his stuff and then I go in and do mine. I have 2 whole days now just for the upstairs. I'm a techie so installing knx, 1-wire, lan, alarm contacts etc etc. Next big job for me will be the jointing, but officially I can only start with that after the shell handover on the 12th. They have been very flexible so far though, giving me a master key so I can access the house before shell handover. I also have to prepare a foundation for the heat pump but I have to wait until our utilities are connected the week of the 23rd because they run more or less right beside the heat pump and I don't want to under mine the foundation.

Guest shower room in cellar first fix done. This includes a saniflow in the utility room which backs on to shower room. Some progress on facade also. I could have put the saniflow behind the toilet but it's just easier to maintain in the utility room and those things are loud enough in operation so nicer to have a block wall between guests and the device.

Tiles ordered. 3.65 tonnes of tiles for inside house. At least we got pallet discounts lol. Not looking forward to carrying those inside the house! We're tiling the entire ground floor, master bath, upstairs landing (small area), cellar landing, guest bath in cellar, utility room and guest bedroom in cellar. I'll stick lino down in my hobby room probably.

Carpets then in upstairs bedrooms. In spring and autumn we'll use large rugs in the lounge area. In winter the UFH will be on so no rugs then.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

So just had our final airtightness test done today, came in at 0.29ACH. Delighted with the result,

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

delfagio wrote: »
    So just had our final airtightness test done today, came in at 0.29ACH. Delighted with the result,

That's fantastic..well done. Effort pays off.

• Advertisement

That's fantastic..well done. Effort pays off.

Thanks Rampantbunny, yea I was stressing out all last night wondering what the result would be and if I had taped every possible pipe or cable or area, ha ha, I was hoping to be about 1ACH but over the moon with what we achieved

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Did the assessor give you a Q50 and a N50 figure?

sydthebeat wrote:
    Did the assessor give you a Q50 and a N50 figure?

He said it was Q50 = 0.29ACH, not sure about N50. What's the N50 figure?? I'll be talking to him again Monday

How long does the blower door test take?

He said it was Q50 = 0.29ACH, not sure about N50. What's the N50 figure?? I'll be talking to him again Monday

this is quite confusing.. Q50 doesnt equal ACH

the Q50 figure is the m3/hr/m2 pressure test result

this is then divided by 20 to give you your air changes per hour (ACH) figure

so either the Q50 = 0.29 which would mean a 0.0145 ACH figure (which is excellent)

or

its Q50 = 5.8 = 0.29 ACH (which is actually not that good)

can you clarify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Roof slates are on. (well tiles actually) we went with the Snowdon product which is a tile (terracotta coloured) with a black colour baked onto it. Has a nice texture and has a much longer colour guarantee than a fibre cement slate

No kitchen in. No stairs in. Waiting on carpets. Waiting on footpaths.

Got my priorities right though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

No kitchen in. No stairs in. Waiting on carpets. Waiting on footpaths.

Got my priorities right though!

Hope the beer is in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

murphaph wrote: »
    How long does the blower door test take?

Couple of hours if you have you air tightness folks on site so leaks can be fixed and then re-tested

Hi Murphaph, Yeah id agree with fclauson, possibly 2-3 hours should be enough for the airtightness test and sealing up any air leaks.

However depending on the level of airtightness you want to achieve, it could take a lot longer to find the air leaks that you want to bring your results down to whatever target you have in mind.

• Advertisement

Some pictures of the upstairs landing finished and staircase

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ELBAOS

Just at digging out stage, met with arch/eng today going through details, he is suggesting
    100 mm insulation in cavity with 150mm cavity and 50mm isolation slab to inside of outside walls. Taping for airtightness.
    also Heat recovery system, solar for water, oil Heating and 2 stoves one a wood back boiler and a normal stove. triple glazed windows
    How does this sound to others?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

ELBAOS wrote: »
    Just at digging out stage, met with arch/eng today going through details, he is suggesting
    100 mm insulation in cavity with 150mm cavity and 50mm isolation slab to inside of outside walls. Taping for airtightness.
    also Heat recovery system, solar for water, oil Heating and 2 stoves one a wood back boiler and a normal stove. triple glazed windows
    Thanks

Sounds like he's not clued in

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kvnt

hexosan wrote: »
    Thanks

Add your reply here.
    Can you elaborate more please

hexosan wrote: »

I expected replies like this there is always a few!!u no the unhelpful ones!!!!unless you can back it with why save ur time in replying thanks!any helpful comments or suggestions very welcome! !just looking for feedback not smart comments!Thanks

Use the search function to search the 100 or so threads on internal dry lining in a new build.

A little bit more detail in your post would help as well. What u-value is speced for the floor, roof, walls, how are you complying with part L

Thanks, answer is I honestly don't know!!But thanks for the extra questions I must ask!!This was just the info I got from chat today so just said I'd see what people thought of cavity stuff as I've heard alot of other variations like pumped bead only/mix of bead and board etc! 6inh/8 inch etc!I'm sure at next meeting I will find out other stuff like u values etc! I will know better to come with more info next time!!Thanks

I've said this a few times now from a cost/easy of build best value for money I don't think 200mm full fill bead can be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭FiOT

We're a little further on than this now, radon and subfloor are in but they took the digger away and without it to stand on my short legs won't allow me to take good photos!

This is the general layout, very happy with how things have turned out so far considering we've done so much ourselves. Sunday was a beautiful day to be sitting surrounded by rolls of radon barrier - scalded.

• Advertisement

Thanks, answer is I honestly don't know!!But thanks for the extra questions I must ask!!This was just the info I got from chat today so just said I'd see what people thought of cavity stuff as I've heard alot of other variations like pumped bead only/mix of bead and board etc! 6inh/8 inch etc!I'm sure at next meeting I will find out other stuff like u values etc! I will know better to come with more info next time!!Thanks

you honestly should know......

what does your Prelim DEAP report say?
    That report is the only way you can possibly know if your new build complies with building regulations here in rep of ireland.

Advertisement