Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

I really cant believe your already digging and moving on the build yet you don't know exactly what performance the house is to achieve?

Would you walk into a travel agents and ask them for a sun holiday, and then travel without knowing where your going?

Hearing variations of setup and peoples opinions on materials is generally high stool talk. Do it right and get that DEAP done BEFORE you go any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

sydthebeat wrote: »
    this is quite confusing.. Q50 doesnt equal ACH

the Q50 figure is the m3/hr/m2 pressure test result

this is then divided by 20 to give you your air changes per hour (ACH) figure

so either the Q50 = 0.29 which would mean a 0.0145 ACH figure (which is excellent)

or

its Q50 = 5.8 = 0.29 ACH (which is actually not that good)

can you clarify?

Hi Sydthebeat,

So I just had clarification this morning on the results of the airtightness test and the results were as follows;

Q50 = 0.29 m3(hr/m2)
    N50 = 0.22 ACH (l/hr)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

delfagio wrote: »
    Hi Sydthebeat,

So I just had clarification this morning on the results of the airtightness test and the results were as follows;

Q50 = 0.29 m3(hr/m2)
    N50 = 0.22 ACH (l/hr)

thanks delfagio

that Q50 is excellent!

as far as DEAP is concerned thats an ACH rate of 0.0145

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

thanks delfagio

that Q50 is excellent!

You'd have more air leaking into a buried coffin. :)

Congrats.

sydthebeat wrote:
    that Q50 is excellent!

sydthebeat wrote:

Thanks Syd,

Yea we are delighted with the results, the night before the test I was stressing out on whether or not I had taped everything enough, and worried that I wouldn't even get 3m3/hr/m2.

I'm stress free now

• Advertisement

hexosan wrote:
    You'd have more air leaking into a buried coffin.

hexosan wrote:
    Congrats.

Thanks hexosan,

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thanks Syd,

Yea we are delighted with the results, the night before the test I was stressing out on whether or not I had taped everything enough, and worried that I wouldn't even get 3m3/hr/m2.

I'm stress free now

could you give us a quick synopsis of the air tightness measures you under took to achieve that value??

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭chillit

could you give us a quick synopsis of the air tightness measures you under took to achieve that value??

great question, an answer to this would be very helpful to all of us

maybe type of build and specific airtightness measures.

sydthebeat wrote:

I tapped the crap out of everything ha.

We went with SIP construction which is a very airtight type of construction as it is. So no need for membranes.

I then paid a lot of attention when I taped all the windows and doors, my wife says I'm a very OCD person when it comes to been particular about things like this ha.

I taped the sole plates to the concrete sub floor on all the external walls, again making sure I didn't miss anywhere and making sure the tape was fully stuck to both surfaces.

All waste pipes, electric cables etc passing through external walls I taped up. I used expanding foam in the opening first and then used a sealant before applying the tape.

In attic, where the SIP panels met at angles due to story and half design, I taped up the joints everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Click the image to see what I got in today. One happy man!

• Advertisement

BarneyMc wrote:
    Click the image to see what I got in today. One happy man!

Brilliant Barney, what a big milestone to have got complete.

It looks great, perfectly leveled floors

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭john_eire

Barney is that a screed or just standard concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Great job barney. It's dries ridiculously fast. Mine took about 3 weeks in this weather to get to 1%.

Brilliant Barney, what a big milestone to have got complete.

It looks great, perfectly leveled floors

Yes it definitely feels like one of the biggest milestones. It's the start of the end as I see it. Heading out with the Mrs for a few to celebrate at the weekend!!

john_eire wrote: »
    Barney is that a screed or just standard concrete

Liquid screed so it is John.

hexosan wrote: »
    Great job barney. It's dries ridiculously fast. Mine took about 3 weeks in this weather to get to 1%.

Wow, that's amazing! No rest time then!! Supplier told me to keep the windows shut until tomorrow evening. Goes against my instinct but that's the guidance from the manufacturer.

BarneyMc wrote:
    Wow, that's amazing! No rest time then!! Supplier told me to keep the windows shut until tomorrow evening. Goes against my instinct but that's the guidance from the manufacturer.

Yea just for about 24hrs keep the windows closed, then open them all up after that. You might have a good bit of condensation in the morning but don't think it's to get to cold tonight so you might be OK.

Hopefully the weather will stay dry for a while to help with the drying.

BarneyMc wrote:
    Yes it definitely feels like one of the biggest milestones. It's the start of the end as I see it. Heading out with the Mrs for a few to celebrate at the weekend!!

That's exactly how I felt, after I had been on my knees for months, laying insulation, taping joints, edge expansion, laying UFH pipes, when the screed went in it was a major chapter over, and the end was in sight.

You enjoy them drinks Barney, well deserved.

Did you go liquid screed upstairs and downstairs?

Yes the liquid screed is on both floors delfagio.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Started taping and jointing yesterday. I have to focus on the bathrooms and hall/landing, so the tiling can be done to allow the sanitary ware and stairs to be fitted. Also removed the entire contents of the cellar (which was acting as a bit of a storeroom) and swept it down as the UFH and screed is due this coming week. Talk about dusty work.

Outside also coming along OK. The plasterer put on the armour and scratch coat over the external insulation. He started plastering the reveals yesterday. Weather permitting he'll have the rest plastered next week.

I've taken to camping at the site because it's an hour's drive from our present apartment and losing 2 hours a day driving is too much, so I stay there one night, then home for a night then back on the site. Off work for next 3ish weeks to work on the house full time.

• Advertisement

Oh some pics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Soffit & Fascia on and Veluxes in the attic

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Some pictures of the upstairs landing finished and staircase

Hi delfagio,

Could you tell me where you got your interior doors and the name/style of them please?
    Interested in them for my own place. Thanks very much.

Jointing boards in full swing. Started the under tile sealant in the downstairs WC. Window reveals plastered. The UFH team was back again today doing upstairs and cellar. Screed due by end of the week there.

UFH lads worked their socks off yesterday. Stayed until 2am the poor feckers and we're back on site at 10am and worked until 7 to get the job done. 18 tonnes of gravel delivered today for the screed which is going in tomorrow all according to our plan still. Outside of house was rendered today and will be painted tomorrow so the scaffolding can be dismantled Friday as it's in the way on the gable wall (our utilities are being laid on Monday so the scaffolding has to make way).

Screed down in cellar and first floor. Scaffolding dismantled. Appointment for utilities on Monday confirmed and I made a start on tiling the guest WC. I forgot how much I hate tiling! Oh house is also painted.

murphaph wrote: »
    Screed down in cellar and first floor. Scaffolding dismantled. Appointment for utilities on Monday confirmed and I made a start on tiling the guest WC. I forgot how much I hate tiling! Oh house is also painted.

Super tidy work, well done!

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Super tidy work, well done!
    Cheers Barney. After the 7th or 8th hole you regret thinking a urinal would be a good idea (they're common in the downstairs WC over here). The floor is only sealed around the edges until after the drying out phase for the screed is over. Then I'll coat the whole floor in sealant and tile it.

murphaph wrote: »
    Cheers Barney. After the 7th or 8th hole you regret thinking a urinal would be a good idea (they're common in the downstairs WC over here). The floor is only sealed around the edges until after the drying out phase for the screed is over. Then I'll coat the whole floor in sealant and tile it.

Well better p*ssed off than p*ssed on I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

You're making a lot of progress now Murph

Advertisement