Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

All the sandy soil around the house was compacted in layers by the cellar builder after he backfilled the voids. I'm therefore not using any formwork fir the gravel base, just backfilling that hole I created with gravel and compacting in 10cm layers up to ground level. The compacted gravel will be 900 deep and about 20cm wider all round the concrete slab.

I intend later to raise the ground level all around the house by about 25cm which is closer to the original ground level so the slab will then only peek 10cm out of the ground.

Oh yeah I got wavin pipe to take the condensate down 1200mm to frost line and out a metre and then it connects to a 2.5m long perforated pipe laid in gravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭893bet

Wasn't supposed to start footpaths till next week.....pouring tomorrow!

Looking good!

We have ourselves a telephone line!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

murphaph wrote: »
    We have ourselves a telephone line!

That's German efficiency for you! I've been waiting 4 months to get a phone line in for broadband here. :(

• Advertisement

That's German efficiency for you! I've been waiting 4 months to get a phone line in for broadband here. :(
    I didn't say it was working lol. German efficiency is a myth. The line was installed by a sub contractor (though actually I installed a good length of it as I had a trench open anyway for water and I agreed to collect the cable from the sub contractors yard and throw it into my water trench to save digging the same 20m twice.

The sub contractors are now supposed to declare the line available to Telekom so it appears in their system and so I can actually order a number, broadband etc.

I know this can go wrong as it went wrong for my neighbour who just moved in to his new build. He was waiting for several weeks too for his line to become available in the Telekom system because the sub contractor "forgot" to send in the paperwork. It'll probably happen to us too.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

What are people's thoughts on laying carpet on top of screed before the UFH is turned on. Floors are down to 1% moisture and house is fully dried out. Will it have any effect on the carpet.

Sealing the joints in all the "wet areas" of the bathroom and all the way around between floor and wall. The whole floor will get this treatment to tank it but not until after the screed drying cycle is over to be on the safe side. I just did this much so I can make a start on tiling the walls. I also built the foundation for the heat pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Got the base coats of paint sprayed on the ceilings and walls on Monday and Tuesday of this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Got the base coats of paint sprayed on the ceilings and walls on Monday and Tuesday of this week.

Hey Barney...did the painters have any comments about painting around inward opening windows? Does it make it awkward to tape the window frame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Hey Barney...did the painters have any comments about painting around inward opening windows? Does it make it awkward to tape the window frame?

No, they were Polish so probably used to it. Anyway they never mentioned anything. They covered the complete window so all were closed so it's important to leave windows on the other floor, attic hatch, etc. open to ventilate.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Looking good Barney

Distressed look kitchen. Not as distressed as my wallet. Almost there. Templating for worktop booked for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭mjp

Lovely looking kitchen.

Heat Pump in. Temp Power supply disconnected and meter moved in to house proper. Meter is a loaner. Will be replaced by a bi-directional one soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

893bet wrote: »
    Distressed look kitchen. Not as distressed as my wallet. Almost there. Templating for worktop booked for next week.

Very nice. What kind of window boards are you going with?

Also just curious - if your footpath went all the way around your house what width did you do 1m or 1.2m?

Very nice. What kind of window boards are you going with?

Also just curious - if your footpath went all the way around your house what width did you do 1m or 1.2m?

We are going with a granite worktop, silestone grey expo. Putting his that on as window board also.

Not sure if foot path but I think a metre all the way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

We are going with a granite worktop, silestone grey expo. Putting his that on as window board also.

Not sure if foot path but I think a metre all the way around.

Silestone is the brand for quartz I think not granite?
    Yeah think I'll do the same for kitchen window boards. What about your window boards in the rest of the house?

Silestone is the brand for quartz I think not granite?
    Yeah think I'll do the same for kitchen window boards. What about your window boards in the rest of the house?

Yes I meant Quartz. We had granite picked and swapped at last minute. I have oak window boards elsewhere. 19mm thick. 219mm deep. Worked for 150 cavity size.

Got them from Murphy Larkin online. Also got all skirting etc there. Painted solid white timber for same price as painted mdf from everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

we put sill stone window boards through out - supplied v local to us in Bunclody

no painting for the rest of their life !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

fclauson wrote: »
    no painting for the rest of their life !!

Where's the fun in that. :)

Damn!

And the Quartz window board

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Looks great 893bet,

Is that a socket built into the worktop or is it a fancy extractor fan for the hob??

delfagio wrote: »
    Looks great 893bet,

Is that a socket built into the worktop or is it a fancy extractor fan for the hob??

A socket! Extractor to be hung above .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

delfagio wrote: »
    Looks great 893bet,

Should be bank of sockets. 893, did you get the bank that also contains USB ports for phone charging etc?

kceire wrote: »
    Should be bank of sockets. 893, did you get the bank that also contains USB ports for phone charging etc?

There is a bank of 3 sockets with 2 USB. It's just barely pulled up in the picture.

Quality is average. Bit stiff to pull out. Not Spring loaded. For the money one can't complain!

Link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pop-Up-Socket-Charger-Sockets-sockets/dp/B007EO7O2C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

There is a bank of 3 sockets with 2 USB. It's just barely pulled up in the picture.

Quality is average. Bit stiff to pull out. Not Spring loaded. For the money one can't complain!

Link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pop-Up-Socket-Charger-Sockets-sockets/dp/B007EO7O2C

Great idea , how is it fixed if a glass of water spills when its under the counter I wonder ?
    Lovely kitchen , may she wear well for you !

Bullocks wrote: »
    Great idea , how is it fixed if a glass of water spills when its under the counter I wonder ?
    Lovely kitchen , may she wear well for you !

There is a small lip. It's not flush.

• Advertisement

One more!

Very happy with the work.

Advertisement