Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Loving the sink, works brilliantly with the worktops and the way it's under mounted, very tidy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

893bet wrote: »
    Silestone is the brand for quartz I think not granite?
    Yeah think I'll do the same for kitchen window boards. What about your window boards in the rest of the house?

Yes I meant Quartz. We had granite picked and swapped at last minute. I have oak window boards elsewhere. 19mm thick. 219mm deep. Worked for 150 cavity size.

Got them from Murphy Larkin online. Also got all skirting etc there. Painted solid white timber for same price as painted mdf from everyone else!

the kitchen looks great. colour of the quartz worktop works really well with those units, and with the colour on the walls. quartz window board defo the way to go in the kitchen as well.

i'm choosing 2nd fix carpentry now at the mo so just curious - you went for painted white deal skirting and architrave and what kind of doors? the inside of our windows are cream so could go for any type of doors really - walnut, oak or white

Fclauson - i love the idea of stone window boards! any chance of a photo. will a carpenter fit them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭893bet

the kitchen looks great. colour of the quartz worktop works really well with those units, and with the colour on the walls. quartz window board defo the way to go in the kitchen as well.

i'm choosing 2nd fix carpentry now at the mo so just curious - you went for painted white deal skirting and architrave and what kind of doors? the inside of our windows are cream so could go for any type of doors really - walnut, oak or white

Fclauson - i love the idea of stone window boards! any chance of a photo. will a carpenter fit them ?

Yeah painted white wood (white deal or popular I think). We choose a Deanta oak door. HP10 is their number. Got the doors from Heiton Buckleys. Got the frames,skirt and arch from Murphy Marlins online.

The solid primed skirting from Murphy larkin is a great price (it was the same price as painted mdf in Heitons!). The thing with it is that it only comes in 2.4 m length which means a joint on every single wall. Means marginally more work for your carpenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Got a new worker on site, working day and night...

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Got a new worker on site, working day and night...

What brand is your heat pump, water furnace? (that's the one I'm getting)

• Advertisement

What brand is your heat pump, water furnace? (that's the one I'm getting)

Daikin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Blower door n50 is 0.80 which I'm fairly happy with given the interface between cellar and the rest. I'd feared some leak there which might be tricky to isolate but it's all good.

murphaph wrote:
    Blower door n50 is 0.80 which I'm fairly happy with given the interface between cellar and the rest. I'd feared some leak there which might be tricky to isolate but it's all good.

Brilliant result murphaph, well done, did you do airtight taping and sealing yourself

delfagio wrote: »
    Brilliant result murphaph, well done, did you do airtight taping and sealing yourself
    Only in one or two places where I had to run cable through the membrane. Otherwise done by the house builder, the windows were all taped in the factory. Over here they legally have to achieve less than 1.0 if mechanical ventilation is planned, which it is in our case. If no mechanical ventilation is planned they must achieve 3.0.

And sure while I'm at it here's the stairs that arrived today. I decided to let the stair crowd fit a matching handrail to the concrete stairs dow to the cellar to tie it all in together.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,463 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

those stairs wouldnt be allowed in ireland :)

sydthebeat wrote: »
    those stairs wouldnt be allowed in ireland :)
    In some federal states here they wouldn't be allowed without adding a bar to each "riser" to prevent toddlers slipping through but they are allowed in Brandenburg where we're building. We'll have to fit gates to them anyway.

Is that why they wouldn't be legal in Ireland too?

murphaph wrote: »
    In some federal states here they wouldn't be allowed without adding a bar to each "riser" to prevent toddlers slipping through but they are allowed in Brandenburg where we're building. We'll have to fit gates to them anyway.

Is that why they wouldn't be legal in Ireland too?

Yep

No gap greater than 100mm allowed between risers for the toddler reason as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭893bet

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Yep

No gap greater than 100mm allowed between risers for the toddler reason as well

What section of part k gives this figure? Want to keep compliant!

fclauson wrote: »
    we put sill stone window boards through out - supplied v local to us in Bunclody

no painting for the rest of their life !!

Photo?

Pretty please

Vaulted ceiling in kitchen coming together

Remaining plumbing works and ventilation system completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

murphaph: Is your soil/waste stack linked into your extract side of MHRV? Or is that just a weird angle in the picture?

Clseeper wrote: »
    murphaph: Is your soil/waste stack linked into your extract side of MHRV? Or is that just a weird angle in the picture?
    Just a weird angle where the pipe and duct work crosses. We have no heat recovery by the way. It's a DCV system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭FiOT

Vaulted ceiling in kitchen coming together

FAB!!<3

• Registered Users Posts: 1 john3535

mdilucia wrote: »
    Hello there,

We have an Amvic style icf built house & we have problems with our window cills leaking on the upstairs floors, we have water staining on the underneath of all the window cills 6 in total. We know its the window cills are the problem I sprayed one with water the other day & it came through to the downstairs part exactly where the rain comes in. There is DPC around the cill because I removed a window board & dug out from behind the cill. The problem is with the detailing of the plastering around the cill. Just wondering has anyone who has an Icf build come across this & how was it rectified....

Would appreciate any comments on this...

Thanks....

Wat type of cill did u use

Had the door blower test today and got my result... 0.59 ACH50!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,359 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

BarneyMc wrote: »

Good stuff, and the result for the house? :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Good stuff, and the result for the house? :D

There's always a wise guy!

All tiles are in the house now and waiting on the tiler to come in a weeks time. Have the laminates chosen and ready after that. Then hopefully the kitchen which is ordered. Bit of painting here and there also when I get a chance. It's all go so it is!

BarneyMc wrote:

Brilliant Barney, fantastic result, fair play. I'd say you must be over the moon with that.

Thanks delfagio, yeah I had a really good lad doing the airtightness taping (he does nothing else). One thing I was disappointed with was the air coming in through the back door keyhole! My airtight lad said it would be insignificant but must get on to the manufacturers to see what the story is. They are not Irish made but don't think I can mention the manufacturers here. Don't get me wrong, they are a huge manufacturer and am very happy with the doors and windows but just assumed the keyholes would be airtight.

BarneyMc wrote:
    Thanks delfagio, yeah I had a really good lad doing the airtightness taping (he does nothing else). One thing I was disappointed with was the air coming in through the back door keyhole! My airtight lad said it would be insignificant but must get on to the manufacturers to see what the story is. They are not Irish made but don't think I can mention the manufacturers here. Don't get me wrong, they are a huge manufacturer and am very happy with the doors and windows but just assumed the keyholes would be airtight.

Even still, with the level of airtightness you have achieved the keyholes are minor really. And to he honest most keyholes if not all do key air in, don't think you can do anything to prevent that.

This might be the key to this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

I reckon you'd still have leakage.

Advertisement