Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

I've seen people spec thumb locks on external doors for this type of air leakage. Should be very easy to replace if this is bugging you.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-locke-5-pin-thumbturn-euro-cylinder-lock-35-35-70mm-nickel/6409g

May not be 100% but better than the flimsy yoke :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Yeah I was just kidding guys with the keyhole cover - I haven't lost it totally... just yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Well I was told that air tight houses are very dry Barney, so maybe the little bit of air coming in the keyhole will mean you don't have to wear moisturiser every day :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭893bet

Lawns laid two weeks and growing like crazy. Kerbs laid today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Well I was told that air tight houses are very dry Barney, so maybe the little bit of air coming in the keyhole will mean you don't have to wear moisturiser every day :-)

Woe betide we ever forget our damp roots eh :D

Last winter was the first year of my life I never suffered a cold or flu, my Wife's asthma has all but disappeared. Also my quality of nights sleep has rocketed.

• Advertisement

Wardrobes! Lawns! Kerbs! Master bedroom!

Waiting on the stairs which is partially made.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

893 bet, how much did you pay for the fitted wardrobe?

Quazzie wrote: »
    893 bet, how much did you pay for the fitted wardrobe?

Not sure exactly. Part of a larger work group including stairs, fitted kitchen booth, units else where etc.

I guess circa 1750.

Carpenter would be a very close friend, as in he doesn't price the jobs just does them then I pay him what ever he asks.

Stairs in progress!

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

The tiling has started, so it has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

893bet wrote: »
    Stairs in progress!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tidy workmanship

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Tom Hagen

Wardrobes! Lawns! Kerbs! Master bedroom!

Waiting on the stairs which is partially made.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

just out of curiousity could you not of put the solar panels on the back of the house? out of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Tom Hagen wrote: »
    just out of curiousity could you not of put the solar panels on the back of the house? out of view?
    The side they go on is usually dependent on the orientation with respect to the sun. You wouldn't install them on the north side typically.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

No point putting them where the sun don't shine. :)

murphaph wrote: »
    The side they go on is usually dependent on the orientation with respect to the sun. You wouldn't install them on the north side typically.

X2

Front is south facing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

X2

Front is south facing!

Is there a reason you never oriented the house differently. I'd have thought it strange to have the front south facing given the choice.

Fitted wardrobes are a tidy job.

Is the staircase oak?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Is there a reason you never oriented the house differently. I'd have thought it strange to have the front south facing given the choice.

Is the staircase oak?

Site location and planning will more often than not determine the orientation.

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    Site location and planning will more often than not determine the orientation.

Pretty much. Could have changed it around but didn't see the point. In a very rural location so makes no difference.

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Is the staircase oak?

It is oak yes. Partially fitted! Glass balustrade.

Carpenter is an artist infairness. Total perfectionist. Very few around with his range of skills. On his own he roofed the house, second fixed, build kitchen from scratch, built stairs from scratch etc. Master of all trades literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭a_noodle_jenny

Hi everyone - I'm a long time reader but need advice on Velux Windows if anyone has any suggestions.
    Dormer bungalow with foundations started at end of April. I am finding builders and all tradesmen great but feel at times a little intimidated with their suggestions. Planning very strict here and we were 6 years trying to get planning so we have two walled window upstairs and the rest of the light comes from Velux Windows / roof Windows.
    The size we are thinking of going for is 78x118
    One Velux is in the hall/landing to front and the second will end up in an upstairs bedroom. This upstairs bedroom also has scope for a second Velux on rear wall. One of these must be too hung for fire escape. I'm looking for easy clean and protection for sound for rain / hail but this as you all know comes at a cost.
    We have two Velux Windows in Apex roof in kitchen living space.
    We will also need the white polyurethane finish in all hard to reach spaces and in the upstairs bathroom.
    I'll attach some picture so you can get an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭a_noodle_jenny

This is the apex window frame in kitchen and living space
    I don't think 78x118 will fit into the roof as it will run too close to the valleys
    Also if this makes sense we have managed to maze a small mezzanine overlooking the back garden. Builder says Velux are not needed as there are two side windows and the large apex window but I still want them!

This looks incredible in flesh!

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Lovely blend of traditional and modern.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭FiOT

Hi All,

My intentions of updating regularly on our self- build experience seem to have fallen by the wayside, turns out self - building is quite time consuming! Whuda thunk it?!

Here is a pic of where we are at right now and my current favourite spot in the house, my upstairs reading nook :) Also, I think the birthday pic pretty much sums up how all - consuming building is... House on the brain!

Things are going well and all coming in at or under budget so far, let's see how long that lasts :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Nice 'clean' building work and block laying. You wont need a lamp reading beside that window. My last one had the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I like the idea of a reading nook!! Unfortunately I'm lucky if I get 5 mins to read the Sunday papers in the toilet!!

FiOT wrote: »
    Hi All,

My intentions of updating regularly on our self- build experience seem to have fallen by the wayside, turns out self - building is quite time consuming! Whuda thunk it?!

Here is a pic of where we are at right now and my current favourite spot in the house, my upstairs reading nook :) Also, I think the birthday pic pretty much sums up how all - consuming building is... House on the brain!

Things are going well and all coming in at or under budget so far, let's see how long that lasts :P

looks great. Did you do a return block at your window reveal? cant make it out

looks great. Did you do a return block at your window reveal? cant make it out

Yes, return block and insulation where the window will meet the wall either side and above. Really happy with the blocklayers, they were extremely neat.

FiOT wrote: »
    Hi All,

Great house. did you use concrete hollowcore slabs? but you used timber studding upstairs not block walls? should be good size attic in that too . sweet

• Advertisement

Great house. did you use concrete hollowcore slabs? but you used timber studding upstairs not block walls? should be good size attic in that too . sweet

Initial plan was block walls upstairs but unfortunately due to timing issues and having to get a slab changed we had to let our blocklayers move on. The other half is a carpenter so the stud walls weren't an issue. Ended up changing a few things too so all has worked out quite well!

We used hollow core for a number of reasons though; sound proofing, underfloor heating upstairs and the original block wall plan. Still glad we did, house feels really solid.

Advertisement