Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance

Options
  • 05-01-2007 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Does anyone know what the deal is with insurance for tenants. Are they covered under the landlord's house and contents insurance? i.e. im a student renting a house, if i drop my telly or whatever am i covered under the house's house and contents insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

moved from AH before it descends into hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I always had to buy my own house insurance when in college, maybe it has changed since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

The landlord may only have building insurance, ask him your landlord if he has contents as he may not.
    if he doesn't get your own it would only be about 100 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 reg_anam

it is possible but quite unlikley that the landlord has anything other than buildings insurance - it is of little value to him/her and most insurance companies don't like the thought of insuring items for theft/damage when the owners or occupires are unclear / free to come and go.

You should insure contents yourself unless you are prepared to take the risk yourself. You may need to declare that the property is a tenancy/shared

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

You can get contents only insurance, which is aimed at renters. I got mine a few years ago from the AA. It was €165 for the year and covered me for up to €30,000 worth of contents and €2000 cash. If you don't have much of value I guess it isn't worth it, but if it is your full-time home, where you keep all your clothes, books, tv, dvd, playstation, laptop and comic-book collection then the €165 a year is worth it. It also covered us for alternative accomodation in the case of fire/flood if the landlord's insurance didn't.

If you are in a shared house, say of 3, you could get it between you if you guessed you each only had less than €10,000 worth of contents each. Afaik you are only covered for personal injury under your landlords insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

iguana wrote:
    You can get contents only insurance, which is aimed at renters. I got mine a few years ago from the AA. It was €165 for the year and covered me for up to €30,000 worth of contents and €2000 cash. If you don't have much of value I guess it isn't worth it, but if it is your full-time home, where you keep all your clothes, books, tv, dvd, playstation, laptop and comic-book collection then the €165 a year is worth it. It also covered us for alternative accomodation in the case of fire/flood if the landlord's insurance didn't.

If you are in a shared house, say of 3, you could get it between you if you guessed you each only had less than €10,000 worth of contents each. Afaik you are only covered for personal injury under your landlords insurance.

This is also a good idea for people who own and live in apartment blocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

165 seems a bit dear, try insure.ie or 123.com it's about 100 for 20000 worth of cover, but make sure you include accidental damage, it won't cost anything more but isn't automatically applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

When I was in college my stuff in our ****ty rented student flat was covered under my parents own home insurance for a small extra fee. Might be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Omikron1

Thanks guys, the accident has already happened so its a bit late to get insurance now, i was just wondering if it is actually possible to claim off the landlords policy if she does have house and contents insurance before i asked her about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

iguana wrote:
    If you don't have much of value I guess it isn't worth it
    It all depends, but if you had to go out in the morning to replace it all, it could cost a pretty penny (or several million pretty pennies).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Victor wrote:
    It all depends, but if you had to go out in the morning to replace it all, it could cost a pretty penny (or several million pretty pennies).

I was more thinking of a student living in shared accomodation with two weeks worth of clothing that go home to mummy to be washed. Come to think of it I'm pretty sure mum and dad are the insurance in that scenario anyway.

Advertisement