Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wi-Fi Help

• 05-01-2007 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

My internet connects fine through LAN but when I try and connect to my wireless, it says "limited or no connectivity".

HELP!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭atellyer

try opening a command prompt and typing ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Strange. I'm using my wireless network now but the connection still says "acquring network address".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Skyuser wrote:
    Strange. I'm using my wireless network now but the connection still says "acquring network address".

Do you still have an ethernet connection while attempting to get the wireless as well? If so disconnect the ethernet one then go into the 'network connections' and repair the wireless connnection that should get you an 'address'

No I disconnect the ethernet cable from laptop, but it's still connected to the router, which I presume shouldn't matter. I've also disabled the ethernet port on the laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Wireless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Have you encryption enabled on the network (WEP,WPA,etc)? Limited or no connectivity usually means it was unable to get an ip address assigned. IS DHCP enabled? Have you set PC to get an ip address automatically?

I tried it with both WEP and WPA encryption and both were the same. I tired it without encrytion too.
    I don't know how to do the other two things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Leave encryption off for now, best to get it working without it first.

What make and model is your wireless router/modem?

Have you been able to use the laptop on a wireless connection in another set up?

It's a BT modem and Netgear router. I can use the connection with a PSP. If I restart my laptop, the connection says "connected" once the comp reboots. But say after 5mins is will say cannot connect or limited/no connectivity.

• Advertisement

What I was asking you is does the laptop work in another wireless set up say in a hotspot somewhere?

Advertisement