Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder messed up building my house!

Options
  • 05-01-2007 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi,

I have a 4 bed semi, built in 1999. I converted the garage a year or two later.

The guy I got to do it spotted (late) that the lintel above the garage opening was not level (apologies if I'm using "lintel" incorrectly).

So now there is an inch gap between the window that was installed and the lintel on one side.

My questions are, in the board's opinion:

1. Is the original builder liable? (Note, I paid cash to a local engineer to do a snag list and probably have nothing official from him)

2. Would homebond cover it?

3. How would I mask such a defect?

Here is a pic

window2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

hi could you post a full photograph please, at least we can then get a
    proper look

Probably settlement, are there any movement cracks in the garage walls?

The easiest way to hide it would be to render the wall, but may not look right with the rest of the house.

As de_man says a full picture will give us a better idea though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 NWM

Thanks for the interest.

Here is a bigger pic

windows3.jpg

Since it's dark outside, here is an auctioneer's thumbnail showing the type of house.

window4.jpg

The quick and easy way to hide it is just to get a strip of white UPVC and cover the gap, you can only see it if you look closely.

The hard way woud be to get the window refitted and aligned with the lintel, the gap would be less noticable under the sill.

Probably settlement, are there any movement cracks in the garage walls?

There were no movement cracks when the garage conversion was being done. I'd find it hard to believe it is settlement as everything else looks fine and it is about an inch in magnitude.

It is a timber frame/superwarm house if that has any bearing on anything.

The easiest way to hide it would be to render the wall, but may not look right with the rest of the house.

As de_man says a full picture will give us a better idea though.

What do you think after I posted the pics?

• Advertisement

The quick and easy way to hide it is just to get a strip of white UPVC and cover the gap, you can only see it if you look closely.

That was something I did think of - I will try this I suppose. You're right - it'll only be noticeable if someone actually looks closely. However, I want to sell up in the not too distant future and I don't want this hanging over me.

The hard way woud be to get the window refitted and aligned with the lintel, the gap would be less noticable under the sill.

The garage converter kind of split-the-difference between the sill and the lintel already!

Is it brick or rendered block under the window?

If block the second option is still open to you
    else realign the window and render the brickwork, as in the thumbnail you already have rendered panels on the house, a matching one under the window should look OK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

What was there before the window? Was it an up-and-over garage door?

Is it brick or rendered block under the window?

Brick, unfortunately I suppose.

If I could establish that the builder was liable for this then at least it would be up to him to do it.
    ...else realign the window and render the brickwork, as in the thumbnail you already have rendered panels on the house, a matching one under the window should look OK

Yes, that it still an option. An obvious difference from the other houses in the estate however.

I must take a look in the daytime with this in mind.

Thanks for all the suggestions - keep it up!

wyndham wrote:
    What was there before the window? Was it an up-and-over garage door?

Yes

• Advertisement

If the up-n-over door fitted square, then the floor may slope as well..

IIRC that it's a bad idea to lay garage floors dead level, this is to allow spilled liquids to flow out of the building rather than pooling on the floor.

If you've ever parked a wet car in there, you'll understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

is the window frame straight across the top ive often seen them veer off on one side especially on a window that size also depending on the manufacturer
    that lentil looks fairly straight in the picture

hiscan wrote:
    is the window frame straight across the top ive often seen them veer off on one side especially on a window that size also depending on the manufacturer
    that lentil looks fairly straight in the picture

Confirmed with a level that it is the lintel.

Actually, the column to the left of the window is 27 bricks high and the one to the right is 28 bricks high (from the first whole brick I could count ).

As I said, the person who converted the garage 'split the difference' with the window sill so there is a less obvious gap underneath it.

windows001.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 the brickie

your best bet is a pvc strip,the brickwork is terribly off level,the gap between the top and bottom window on the right is dead in line with a mortar joint
    while on the left this gap is in line with the middle of a brick, thats 35mm
    straight away.if you are selling up get a pvc strip and maybe taper one end
    to take the bad look off it.

Advertisement