Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the USA

Options
  • 05-01-2007 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi there

I'm Irish and will move back to Ireland in May after living stateside for 13 months. I'd consider importing a vehicle for resale and using my one years US residence as a way to avoid VRT Duty - if this was possible.

With current exchange rates this could work out - you do see the odd California reg in Ireland these days, so somebody must have done this before.
    Any tips?

Mike:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I'd consider importing a vehicle for resale and using my one years US residence as a way to avoid VRT Duty - if this was possible.

As far as I know, it's not possible unless you have owned the car for six months.

A good condition classic would do no harm. Common as muck in the US, not so common back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Hi there

I'm Irish and will move back to Ireland in May after living stateside for 13 months. I'd consider importing a vehicle for resale and using my one years US residence as a way to avoid VRT Duty - if this was possible.

With current exchange rates this could work out - you do see the odd California reg in Ireland these days, so somebody must have done this before.
    Any tips?

Mike:)

AFAIK, if you get the exemption from VRT, you are not allowed to sell the car on for a year

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You've left it too late, i'm afraid. As SouperComputer says, you have to have owned the car for 6 months prior to your return.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You are also liable to pay VAT on top of VRT on the car as it is being imported from outside the EU state.

Unless the car is a classic or something a bit rare then it may be very hard to sell here. Generally big engined left hand drive American cars which return on average 10mpg or so have little or no market here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

bazz26 wrote:
    You are also liable to pay VAT on top of VRT on the car as it is being imported from outside the EU state.
    Neither is payable on a transfer of residence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement