Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major eircom bb problem

Options
  • 05-01-2007 11:30pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im sure some here are tired of listening to my problem.
    Almost 4 months now of excellent ping during the day but once 5 or 6pm comes around my ping goes skyward 300-500 up until 11pm.
    Weekends it bad allday,ie kids off school maybe.
    Im in Monasterevin Co Kildare.

Anyways a few of my gaming friends in the town are having the same issue but one in particular syas his ping is bad all day everyday.

just tonight a neighbour while we were playing wow said his ping was 30-60 where as mine was 520.
    This got me even more confused and thinking of reformatting and reinstalling my system.

Then i ran my anti virus [AVG] as id done many times before and nothing shows up.
    I also run hitman pro which runs adaware,spybot etc ,again nothing shows up.
    Ive disabled the wireless feature on the router that i use for the laptop incase of leeching as im not sure how safe encrytion is?
    Still the same crappy ping at peak times.

If i had a virus would it be possible that it only affects the pc in the evenings?
    I realise its a long shot but at this stage im desperate.

Im on eircom 3meg/384k connection,less than quarter of a mile from exchange with contention of 28:1.
    Ive logged easily 30 calls to eircom and each time they say they escalated it to an engineer but each time the engineer says there is no problem at the exchange.

I cant get any other provider except the usual eircom resold product.

I use various programs to test speed,i find hlsw the best as it pings game servers in realtime,each program i use gives same results which are reflected when i join servers and try dload tests.

Is there anything else i can do on this one guys?
    All i want is a good connection to game after the trials of the day.
    I have never gone over my download limit.
    Please if anyone can advise or assist me id greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you checked your line stats? I am not sure if a bad line interferes with the pings but your line may not be up to the 3Mb. What sort of speeds do you get anyways?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

here are my stats,i think they look ok

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 20.00 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 17.00 11.00

During the day dload speeds are 300 kbps.
    Evening time its 9kbps

During the day pings are 30-40
    Evening time it is 200-500

To me it seems the exchange is sthe problem and it cant handle the demand of peak times[how do i get this across to eircom?],my friend i mentioned earlier only had nice pings this evening for 5 minutes,i took him up it was like that all evening,which is not the case as his pings were like mine after 5 minutes.

Ive sent off screenies of various speedtests but eircom dont even answer my emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Heh Cully , I feel your pain buddy . I went through it for six months last year .

I see you doing tests on your own pc there as you try to eliminate everything , one of the things I used to do was run ping tests and tracerts with the laptop while trying to play games on the pc .

Try running multiple tracerts and pin point the exact location of the problem . Then maybe you can go somewhere with it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Maybe its the local exchange is a bit underspecced and can't handle ~1000 kids running p2p etc all weekend and evenings ?

Advertisement