Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wearing a suit

• 06-01-2007 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi guys.
    Just wondering what you thought of this or whether ye have had similar experiences.

I would often wear a suit - " Shirt, tie waistcoat and jacket etc. " for interviews and meetings etc and I do enjoy wearing them. Don't know why!!

But when I do wear a suit people (eg who I know to see or shop assistants etc) always seem to ask where you have been, what you've been up to etc, and I was just wondering why is this. Why do people seem obsessed with you when you wear a suit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

people (eg who I know to see or shop assistants etc) always seem to ask where you have been, what you've been up to etc, and I was just wondering why is this. Why do people seem obsessed with you when you wear a suit?
    Maybe they think you've been to court. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I love wearing suits too! Yeah, I get a lot of grief about it. Get a job that involves wearing a suit and you won't stand out so much to your friends. That's what I'm trying to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Suits! I love my suits, all my life (all 17 years of them :D) I loved suits. What is it about a suit that make you feel good? But I have to say people don't ask me what was I up to...and if they did I can't remember...

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mitsubishi1

What is it that you love about them.

Is it just me or do other people love wearing a waistcoat aswell.

Also the real suit that a lot of people seem to love to wear is a tux, especially if you have a self tied bowtie and then you undo it during the night and have it hang down around your neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I don't know why it is, I just feel proper in a suit. Up until a year ago, I never really bothered but when at work I really need to look all scrubbed up and tidy. Ever since then I wear suits quite often and get the same reaction, even from my parents when jetting home to see them every once in a while. Ah you're looking snazzy, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Nothing more flattering to the figure, when middle-aged midriff starts to strike... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

waistcoats make the suit personaly...alas it's so hard to find a good waistcoat! Anyone know of a good place?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

To be honest it's more than likely because of the waistcoat that people ask you what you're up to - a waistcoat is no longer deemed to be part of a modern suit for most occasions. And if you're under the age of 40, even more so!

A waistcoat, whilst I accept very flattering when worn correctly, is decidely presidential, grandfather-like, wedding dress, or newscaster in styling. To be honest any young person who wears a waistcoat is somebody who looks like they never wear a suit - hence the odd looks! :)

I annoys me too to a degree, as I think they can look great with a very well cut suit - but I do without for the sake of looking like I know what I'm about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

the reason you like wearing a suit is that you enjoy the sense of gravitas and importance that is attributed with it

the reason people ask is because you look like someone who doesnt always wear suits, and only does so on special occasions, and shop attendants in their quest to find something to say pick up on that

i'd say like anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

i personally hate wearing them. especially when people ask u those questions and also seem to look at ya funny.. maybe its me being paranoid

• Advertisement

It's very much about looking like you regularly wear a suit, even if you don't, to avoid being 'eyed' or asked odd questions. Inevitably it's more difficult if you're young, but it's pretty easy to pull it off.

The classic example of a non-suit wearer is someone with a thick Windsor-knotted tie, probably itself of thick polyester, a coloured wide-lined or checked shirt, a waistcoat, and a three-buttoned jacket with single vent (slit) to the rear which makes the jacket move very ridigidly. Typically crowned off with an overly-gelled hairstyle and an awkward, self-conscious expression. Disaster!

Not that you need spend a fortune on anything, but simply choosing the right clothes and holding yourself well makes all the difference. Go simple for example - you can't beat a crisp white shirt coupled with a block colour tie. It looks fantastic and you can't possibly go wrong with that ensemble.

Similarly a very fine-lined shirt (essentially pin-striped) can look very elegant, the finer and fainter the pattern the better. Again keep the tie simple: most Dunnes ties have terrible styles if you want a pattern - even Tie Rack have stylish patterned ties for €12-€13.

And get a suit that FITS. This above all is crucial. Two-button jackets are much more business-like and stylish than preppy schoolboy three-button, while anything above €350 will generally get you a much better cut off-the-shelf.

Above all wear with pride! If you can top if off with an overcoat it makes the wrold of difference out of doors, or going into places to meet people. You create quite the presence swishing in :D.

My personal favourite is a textured white shirt, red silk tie (only cost €18!), double-vented charcoal suit (reasonable €450 range), and long brown textured overcoat that goes very well with the red tie. Discreet silver cuff links finish it off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dutz

love wearin the suits myself in work - funny story about my first day working in a bank back when i was 18- got on the bus in my suit lil kid comes up to me and asks ' here mister you going to court?' i think he could only associate suits with court - shame cos i thought i looked good :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Fantastic Kaz

Any man in a suit-:o yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

peckerhead wrote:
    Nothing more flattering to the figure, when middle-aged midriff starts to strike... :o
    Oh yes, and Canali are so forgiving. I spent €1.5K in the Louis Copeland 'sale' after Xmas on two of them. They're as near to bespoke as you can get for a fraction of the price. If they are good enough for Clinton, they're good enough for me!

Zegna are also worth a look, Paul Smith's stuff has really gone downhill in the last five years, Armani are a complete lottery these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Oh yes, and Canali are so forgiving. I spent €1.5K in the Louis Copeland 'sale' after Xmas on two of them. They're as near to bespoke as you can get for a fraction of the price.

How much is a bespoke suit in Louis Copelands? How would they compare to a bespoke suit from saville role(Quality, fit, hours of work gone into the suit etc.)

Babybing wrote:
    How much is a bespoke suit in Louis Copelands? How would they compare to a bespoke suit from saville role(Quality, fit, hours of work gone into the suit etc.)
    Well, the salesman in Louis Copeland told me that they themselves would be hard pressed to make a bespoke suit of Canali quality.

AFAIK bespoke starts at around €2.5K and upwards, depending on the cloth you choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It's horrible trying to buy a suit if you're a woman. Blokes, even if they're not going for the high price tags of bespoke tailoring or even the ready to wear ranges from Louis Copeland, can still avail of an exellent choice of suits from men's high street shops and the top end of the Marks & Spencer range.

Women's suits are a total and utter pain in the arse to buy. They're either added to the end of an existing range as an afterthought in a designer shop (Karen Millen, Jasper Conran) or they're the cheap as chips polyester end of things (Next). I end up buying all my suits in TK Maxx, on the basis that I might just get something halfway decent from last year's designer wear.

Am I missing something? Is there a shop out there that's great for women's suits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 snb

Try Reiss for womens suits............ fabulous *

*Note, Im a looker, not a buyer (yet) so can only testify to what they llok like on hanger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

:rolleyes:

As in why don't you spend some money in the off the peg section sir

:D
    Well, the salesman in Louis Copeland told me that they themselves would be hard pressed to make a bespoke suit of Canali quality.

I'm quite partial to the single vent 3 button sometimes Deflector, if it's on a high quality 60s styled suit. Agree with most other things you said though.
    Deflector wrote:
    and a three-buttoned jacket with single vent (slit) to the rear which makes the jacket move very ridigidly.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote:
    :rolleyes:
    As in why don't you spend some money in the off the peg section sir
    Hardy har!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Deflector wrote:
    Two-button jackets are much more business-like and stylish than preppy schoolboy three-button

Not always true, some three-button suits look much better, but the bottom button needs to be left undone
    Deflector wrote:
    My personal favourite is a textured white shirt, red silk tie double-vented charcoal suit
    How very 1980s accountant-like! A guy wore something similar to our Christmas party and people were saying he looked like he was making his confirmation

Deflector wrote:
    My personal favourite is a textured white shirt, red silk tie (only cost €18!), double-vented charcoal suit (reasonable €450 range), and long brown textured overcoat that goes very well with the red tie. Discreet silver cuff links finish it off :)
    You so grew up in the 80's dude! All you need is a pair of red-braces and a Gordon Gekko swept-back gel (or moussed!) hair-style and you're there.

Red ties tend to make other people uncomfortable unconsciously. Me? They make me uncomfortable consciously. People associate red with 'danger' and mistrust.

Be very careful choosing ties. What really is a tie? Essentially a great big arrow pointing to your cock.

No, if it was 80s accountant, I'd also have a tightly lined red and white shirt with white cuffs & collar, and the cufflinks would be gold :p

Admittedly the earlier post is a conservative look, but I like that. There's nothing worse than a young person looking out of place in a suit with a load of flash tack - it's not easy to balance it out. And the typical blue tie and shirt combo is so predictable. Do men ever think outside the box anymore? Coupled with the typical navy suit, it'd send you off on a snooze just looking at it.

Dark red is not something I'd generally wear for work - it'd be more an event or occasion, and in any event works exceedingly well with a brown coat. Everything ties together nicely. Admittedly George Bush's fondness for red ties does concern me, but hey he's highly experienced people choosing these things for him - a bonus in my book!

And double vent is so much more elegant than the off-the-shelf look of a single cut - and I don't mean naff elegant as with a waistcoat. The whole jacket just hangs better with a dual vents.

So what are people's favorite suit ensembles?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Deflector wrote:
    It's very much about looking like you regularly wear a suit, even if you don't, to avoid being 'eyed' or asked odd questions. Inevitably it's more difficult if you're young, but it's pretty easy to pull it off.

The classic example of a non-suit wearer is someone with a thick Windsor-knotted tie, probably itself of thick polyester, a coloured wide-lined or checked shirt, a waistcoat, and a three-buttoned jacket with single vent (slit) to the rear which makes the jacket move very ridigidly. Typically crowned off with an overly-gelled hairstyle and an awkward, self-conscious expression. Disaster!

Not that you need spend a fortune on anything, but simply choosing the right clothes and holding yourself well makes all the difference. Go simple for example - you can't beat a crisp white shirt coupled with a block colour tie. It looks fantastic and you can't possibly go wrong with that ensemble.

Similarly a very fine-lined shirt (essentially pin-striped) can look very elegant, the finer and fainter the pattern the better. Again keep the tie simple: most Dunnes ties have terrible styles if you want a pattern - even Tie Rack have stylish patterned ties for €12-€13.

And get a suit that FITS. This above all is crucial. Two-button jackets are much more business-like and stylish than preppy schoolboy three-button, while anything above €350 will generally get you a much better cut off-the-shelf.

Above all wear with pride! If you can top if off with an overcoat it makes the wrold of difference out of doors, or going into places to meet people. You create quite the presence swishing in :D.

ya seem to know your stuff. i am 22 and the suit is worn as its the thing to wear in my work place/occupaion. i was intersted in what you say about young people and not use to wearing suits.i love wearing the 3 piece (but i think my suits are 3 button and i hate the big massive knot in the tie, i try to keep the tie normal/simple), with regard to pin stripes suits i buy ones were the stripes that are less obvious, as opposed to the ones that you can see the lines a mile away. i do think the cufflink shirt is a dead classy addition and agree on the overcoat (need it cause i dont like to actually button up the jacket).

basically, due to the occupation and my age i do wanna look the part and while not nessecarily look like a 30yr old but still not a kid. how actactly can you achieve the good effect (i believe i feel comfortable in suits cause i fell the great wearing one) i take it da gelled head is a no no (just as well, never liked the idea of looking like a greasy shiny ball) incidently black as smart and reflexible as it is, is very common. any suggestions on other coloured suits and materials that wont completely stand out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The combination should have as much to do with your skin tone as it has to to do with what looks right. Different body shapes should wear different types of suits as well. In general, you can show your youth via the cut of the suit and the collar on your shirt and the way the buttons are worn on your suit.

Don't forget the red, large rim glasses :D
    Deflector wrote:

No, if it was 80s accountant, I'd also have a tightly lined red and white shirt with white cuffs & collar, and the cufflinks would be gold :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I love wearing suits...I don't really know why though. However, I used to only wear one the odd time, now I've to wear one day in day out for work, so my attitude may soon change.

stovelid wrote:
    Don't forget the red, large rim glasses :D
    It's a fine line between looking like an 80's accountant and a member of 'The Buggles'.

• Advertisement

So what's your favoured look DublinWriter - inspire us! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I love my suit. I usually cas it down with runners and a belt or as I call it the JT Look

People always look at ye and seem to respect you more when you wear a suit

its great!

Also, a nice tie is a great conversation starter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

I was in Tokyo over the summer and the amount of suit stores they have there is incredible. Also, the emphasis that many male workers put on self appearance for work is also quite OTT.

So, I decided to go a bit OTT as well! I'm quite slim build so the sizes were perfect for me. I invested in a nice light brownish suit with very subtle pinstripes and wore a white shirt with thin blue pinstripes and a light blue silk tie. Also splashed out on a pair of really pointy brown leather shoes.

I know from reading the above it sounds really gaudy, but its actually my favourite suit combination by a mile. I just saw it as something different from the grey/black stuff I usually get here. Plus the fabric is really light, which was perfect for the high temps there and I usually just ditched the tie and left the top button open. Probably influenced by the Yakuza look which I find unbelievably stylish!

All I need now is bleached hair and I'd fit right in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I like wearing my suit too, however I don't do it too often because of the same questions that get asked..... Also runners with a suit = Chav

John

Lump wrote:
    I like wearing my suit too, however I don't do it too often because of the same questions that get asked..... Also runners with a suit = Chav

John
    runners with a suit = kiss my ass :)

If you're wearing trainers with the suit; they're probably just fighting the impulse to throw 50 cents into your coffee cup.. ;)
    unreggd wrote:
    I love my suit. I usually cas it down with runners and a belt or as I call it the JT Look

People always look at ye and seem to respect you more when you wear a suit

• Advertisement

Jesus, ye'd swear I look like Billy Allen or somethin

gobsheens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

unreggd wrote:
    Jesus, ye'd swear I look like Billy Allen or somethin

gobsheens
    Chav.

rb_ie wrote: