Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone HSDPA Card + Utorrent

Options
  • 06-01-2007 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

I've a question about the Vodafone 3G (HSDPA) card and Utorrent. I'm using it at the moment to download torrents using Utorrent, but when I use the port test its coming up as blocked. Now I assume that it is because I'm not using a router (thats the newbie in me talking!). Anything I can do to make it DL quicker?

Also, anyone know about how make sure it uses the HSPDA connection? Getting connected at about 250kbps which I don't think it the correct speed.
    Thanks in advance.

constantin3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's proberly because Vodafone have blocked various P2P ports as it voilates their terms of service. You could ring them up and ask them to clarify.

Otherwise, you could maybe try port 80 for utorrent? But I'm not sure how well that would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Vodafone are known to use traffic shaping so they may be blocking it. You may also want to check your windows firewall (or any other third party firewall you may use) to make sure the port you have your torrent client configured to use is open.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

re: how make sure it uses the HSPDA connection
    I read in another forum that you need to change te APN from office.vodafone.ie to hs.vodafone.ie.
    The APN value can be changed in the Profile (tools menu).
    I have tried this myself and have been unable to connect (I get a 619 error) but it seems to work for others!

colin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Do Vodafone not block all ports? They certainly used to block common ports (HTTP/SSH/VNC/FTP/SMTP/etc).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

block common ports (HTTP/SSH/VNC/FTP/SMTP/etc).
    No they are all open.
    Skype works too but it's part of the terms & cond not to use voip ... and the likes of limewire works too!

colin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Dammit, none are open for me .. I can ping, but I've just tried 21/22/25/80/443 all are blocked. And no, it's not a firewall thing on my side.

Advertisement