Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extending netopia 3347nwg wireless network

• 06-01-2007 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi, I have a netopia 3347nwg wireless network and am able to connect to the internet when I am close to the router. However my house has very thick walls and when I am at the other end of the house I cannot access it. I have a Belkin Wireless Range Extender that I used in a previous house. Is there a way to extend my wireless netopia 3347nwg network using this Belkin box?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭stanley1

have you thought of hard-wiring your network, cat 5 cable + nic would be rock solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

i agree. nothing like a cable.

another option is...can the belkin be used purely as an access point, ie, run a cat 5 cable from your netopia and plug it into your belkin, then locate it in such a way that you get decent reception in most places in your house?

i did this in my house. i have a wrt54g to handle my IBB breeze. i ran out of LAN ports, so i bought a 16-port switch in marx computers <€70>, uplinked into it from the linksys. then patched another wrt54g i have and located it in the hall. this works purely as an AP, turned the dhcp off etc. works a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭atellyer

thanks for the replies. I had thought of hard wiring it, but I was sure there was a way of doing it wirelessly. After doing a google I have read about the wireless bridge option. Any idea what this is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

a wireless bridge is a device for making, the likes of an XBOX, wireless or perhaps if you had a laptop with ONLY a wired ethernet socket and no provision for a wireless card, such as no USB or PCMCIA sockets.

A wireless bridge could be used for a group of PCs connected into a switch along with the bridge. The bridge then links back to the AP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭nilhg

humaxf1 wrote:
    a wireless bridge is a device for making, the likes of an XBOX, wireless or perhaps if you had a laptop with ONLY a wired ethernet socket and no provision for a wireless card, such as no USB or PCMCIA sockets.

A wireless bridge could be used for a group of PCs connected into a switch along with the bridge. The bridge then links back to the AP.

What humaxf1 is describing is one of these.

What the OP needs is this, I don't know how well the netopia supports it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Wireless.

Advertisement