Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roaming Question

• 06-01-2007 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

I've just returned from Dubai, before i went i checked with O2 and was told my phone would not work there (speakeasy) amazingly enough when i turned it on it directed straight to the local operator Etisalat, i tried sending a text and sure enough it went through, i couldn't however check my balance or make calls but i could receive calls, so im wondering about O2 after ringing them and asking them and they clearly said it wouldn't work there, same as Vodafone yet i know someone who has a Vodafone pay as you go mobile but that too worked there, what is wrong with these companies surely they must know about this type of thing.

I ended up spending a fortune on texts anyway so i bought a local Etisalat SIM not cheap costs AED 160, roughly €33 and takes 24 hours to activate:rolleyes: and i hear it only lasts 3 months or so but a lot cheaper and id recommend anyone going to the UAE to get a local SIM you'll save a fortune.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If they can't guarentee it will work or control the cost, they'll tell you it won't work, i.e. don't use it. In this case you couldn't do anything but recieve texts and were lucky with that working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

ciaranfo wrote:
    If they can't guarentee it will work or control the cost, they'll tell you it won't work, i.e. don't use it. In this case you couldn't do anything but recieve texts and were lucky with that working.

But don't you think big corporations like O2 and Vodafone would actually know themselves if their network is compatible with Etisalat?

Smacks of unprofessionalism if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's not about their network jonny68 as much as it's about the foreign network letting you connect, as far as I know. They don't charge for delivering a text message, so this is why this worked and nothing else did.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on the tech aspect of it.

Advertisement