Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorway Drivers

Options
  • 06-01-2007 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭

this has probably been posted before.. but why do people insist on doing 100kph in the fast lane,theres nothing in the slow lane and wont pull over? I flashed a guy tonight who wouldnt pull over ( I gave him a few minutes too and he didnt) and then he put on his rear fogs to blind me. He still wouldnt pull over and I ended up going round him in slow lane. can anyone explain the logic for going slow in the fast lane? or is it just bad driving?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Big Dee

Just pure bad driving.:mad: Same situation myself this evening on M1 - had to "undertake" three seperate drivers who sat at say 110kph in the OVERTAKING lane (not the fast lane!) and refused to pull over.
    One particular evening I passed 23 cars on the left - for 2 miles there was only me on the left hand lane and a line of cars on the right - I thought I was back driving on the continent! And before someone suggests that I was doing 180kph - I was only doing 110 - 120! Last Friday I followed a brown UPS van from the M1 toll boot to Dublin (c.35 km) - not once would he pull over to the left and almost caused 3 seperate accidents as cars passed on the left.
    And I suppose some day we'll get booked for doing so by the Gardai.
    PS One last thing - I'll be accused on being racist here no doubt - tonight a african looking man drove for miles on the M1 with his headlights full on - I noted cars ahead putting their rear foglamps on when they passed - I did the same when I passed and eventually had to accelerate beyond the speedlimit so as he wasn't blinding me.
    When I got to Drogheda - I was met on the Dublin Rd by a blue car again with fullheads on. 5 mins later I met the same car near the bus station with the full heads on. Despite numerous passing motorists flashing, no lights were dipped. She then passed me in slow traffic near the Bridge and I waved to her to dip her lights. 15 mins later I met the same car AGAIN on West street and you guessed right - full heads on. Now perhaps the L plate provided an excuse or as the car was only out of the garage - 07 Yaris, maybe she didn't get a chance to read the manual - but surely after 20 mins plus of everyone flashing her, one would think she'd cop on :confused:. Or do they just think they're very popular??
    Someone please tell them how to dip their lights!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

i pass out morons like that on a motorway on the 'slow' lane, leave them off on their merry way.

my golden rule is 'if in doubt, pass it out'// :D

if you stay behind shtye drivers they are most likely to pull over suddenly (sans indicators), brake suddenly, stay behind a dump truck doing 20km/h for 30miles, etc etc.........

Not as bad as the idiot on the M4 recently who was parked on the central median, who then decides to rejoin the (overtaking) lane as a car was passing me, I had to jump into the hard shoulder to allow the overtaking car to swerve and avoid hitting the twat!! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

one thing i can really never understand on the motorway is why people zoom past you then pull back into the slow lane just ahead of you and slow down by about 20kmh when there's acres of space behind you for them to pull in ???????????????

can be very frustrating when cars are driving slow in the overtaking lane which is why i always ask santa for rocket launchers for the font of my car :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Not only people doing 100kph but why do people think they can stay not in the "fast lane" but the PASSING lane when doing 120kph when there is nothing in the inner lane??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Because of completely sh1t driver education in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

this has probably been posted before.. but why do people insist on doing 100kph in the fast lane,theres nothing in the slow lane and wont pull over? I flashed a guy tonight who wouldnt pull over ( I gave him a few minutes too and he didnt) and then he put on his rear fogs to blind me. He still wouldnt pull over and I ended up going round him in slow lane. can anyone explain the logic for going slow in the fast lane? or is it just bad driving?

When are people going to learn. The outside lane is the Overtaking Lane not the Fast lane as you have said.
    The inside lane is for driving in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

drivers who overtake you when youre not driving slow and then turn left or right half a mile down the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

i hates that or when someone pulls right out in front of you causing you to brake hard and then turns again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

apologies mean to call it overtaking lane....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

The roadworks/60kph section of the M50 is a laugh. I'm one of the few people seemingly who sticks to the 60kph limit *

Doing 60kph there in the morning or evening, no matter how ridiculous that limit is, everyone else is doing 90 to 100kph (me in the left lane). Get to the 120kph section once again, and bring the speed up... and everyone in lane-2 is *still* only doing 90/100 with no proper reason.

Explain that one to me.

Frank

* got a major bollicking for speeding (140 in a 120 zone) on the M1 a couple of years ago; the Garda said next time it happens my car would be impounded as I'm from Belfast/have yellow plates. Tickets or points are one thing, but the bollicking was memorable :eek:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

franksm wrote:
    Get to the 120kph section once again, and bring the speed up... and everyone in lane-2 is *still* only doing 90/100 with no proper reason.

That royally pisses me off! They maintain 100Kmh even in the 120Kmh bit!

In these cases i follow the following actions:

1. Wait behind them at a safe stopping distance enough for them to get the idea i want passed for maybe 1/2 mile.
    2. Couple of short taps on the beams
    3. Wait up to maybe another 1/2 mile (usually they pull in but i dont like having to use the beams :()
    4. Reluctantly undertake them :(
    5. Then as my final childish act cut back in on them with about a 3 foot gap between my back bumper.
    6. Accerrate off up to 120~ and then pull back into the inner lane and proced onwards.

Half the time when looking in the mirror the dumb gits stay out in the lane even after i pull back in. But i do enjoy the fright it gives them along with the flashing and horn at me. The hope is that it puts them in a bad mood and they start to think what git i was :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

franksm wrote:
    The roadworks/60kph section of the M50 is a laugh. I'm one of the few people seemingly who sticks to the 60kph limit *

Doing 60kph there in the morning or evening, no matter how ridiculous that limit is, everyone else is doing 90 to 100kph (me in the left lane).

Because people will do the speed they deem safe rather then that the gov lay down. That 60 limit is mainly there in case there is debris/gravel or some other crap on the road which would kill your braking power. I would be able to naviagate that stretch of straight road at 100 but it's better being safe then sorry.

As for the bloke in the overtaking lane, report him. He is an absolute eejit and needs a kick up the arse with a pointy toed boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Exact same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago on the M1 - guy started pointing at the inside lane for me to go around him :S

I hate driving in this country.

It's a bit of

"I pay my taxes, this is MY lane, go Fcuk yourself!"

Mentality.

I Germany, they would get tapped up the rear till they moved over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I Germany, they would get tapped up the rear till they moved over.
    :D time to fit the bullbars to the Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Thats the Irish for you, backwards as fcuk. What other country in the world allows a person with ZERO driving experience to get behind the wheel, then later when they fail a driving test they are allowed to drive home. WE ARE A JOKE.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

The US is the same .. and there are some mupped drivers over there ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Well for starters 120 is the limit, it is not the target. So the driver should be driving within the speed to control the car.

That said however the number of idiots in the 'overtaking' lane is unreal. At least one time I was in the left lane and there was nothing in front of me for over 2 miles yet the right line was full of cars and going slower then the left lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I used to find this frustrating, now it just makes me laugh. I drive the M50 from N4 to M11 daily and (when conditions allow) I stick to within 10% of the posted limit. A number of other drivers obviously stick to a speed that's "safe" in their mind, usually in the wrong lane, no matter what the conditions or the official limits are.
    People will pass me in the 60, I'll pass the same vehicles in the 120, they'll pass me again in the 100 after Firhouse and I'll finally leave them behind on the 120 after Dundrum.
    So to them I'm both the "slow fool holding everybody up" and the "maniac tearing up the road" - even though I'm obeying the limits...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

In these cases i follow the following actions:

1. Wait behind them at a safe stopping distance enough for them to get the idea i want passed for maybe 1/2 mile.
    2. Couple of short taps on the beams
    3. Wait up to maybe another 1/2 mile (usually they pull in but i dont like having to use the beams :()
    4. Reluctantly undertake them :(
    5. Then as my final childish act cut back in on them with about a 3 foot gap between my back bumper.
    6. Accerrate off up to 120~ and then pull back into the inner lane and proced onwards.

Half the time when looking in the mirror the dumb gits stay out in the lane even after i pull back in. But i do enjoy the fright it gives them along with the flashing and horn at me. The hope is that it puts them in a bad mood and they start to think what git i was :D

I hope for your sake the Gardai never see that in their unmarked car. Your "Childish act " will get you into serious trouble:mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

that's all fine but part 5 is just wreckless stupidity and could kill somebody. idiot.

3ft may be an exaggeration but is a shorter gap than i would give other cars when passing etc.

Well it won't be my fault if their bad driving gets them hurt and the only reason i'd stop would be to go back and say "Take that u *-@% :mad:"

As for the boys in blue i do a quick assessment of the cars behind first of all and can spot one a mile off. Plus if i was seen wouldn't take too much work to get it cleared up anyways. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

As for the boys in blue i do a quick assessment of the cars behind first of all and can spot one a mile off. Plus if i was seen wouldn't take too much work to get it cleared up anyways. ;)

How about not driving like a tard just because another idiot is.

I would be less worried about the idiot getting hurt then your actions causing the death of someone else because they may panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I saw one of the idiots yesterday on the M50 refusing to move over for an ambualance that drove up behind it with sirens blaring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Not as bad as the idiot on the M4 recently who was parked on the central median, who then decides to rejoin the (overtaking) lane as a car was passing me, I had to jump into the hard shoulder to allow the overtaking car to swerve and avoid hitting the twat!! :mad:

Was that a green astra? I had to swerve to avoid a green astra doing the same thing on the M4 on christmas eve

edit; actually could have been M7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I was on the M4 a few months back. There was a line of cars on the inside (driving lane) all doing about 90Kmph.
    I was at the back of the line and was wondering why no-one was overtaking?
    It was rush hour so it was strange to see!
    So anyway I overtook them and did not exceed 120Kmph as I drove by.
    When I got to the top I seen there was a Squad car at the front of the traffic and it appears that's why everyone was taking their time.
    It was strange!

There are ppl out there who have a "holier than thou" attitude when it comes to speed. They feel a certain speed is fast enough and drive to that speed no matter what. This causes frustration amoungst other drivers and that leads to dangerous overtaking etc.
    I am not condoning this behaviour but sometimes you can see why ppl get píssed off when stuck behind someone who's trying to do the Gardaí's job!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Driver education is the key here, however it is apparent even from posts in this thread that even advanced drivers such as all who post here* like ourselves do not know that the right hand lane is for overtaking and the left hand lane is the lane that all cars should drive in were they not overtaking. Calling lanes "Fast" and "Slow" just highlights how little many of us understand of the concept.
    The other worrying trend in this thread which has been apparent across a lot if threads in this forum is:
    A. The general lack of patience or tolerance for other people/drivers.
    B. The general amount of elitism by certain people who believe dangerous driving is to be condoned just because there is a slow driver on the road.

100kph, which not driving at the "Target" of 120kph is a perfectly acceptable speed for some people. I have no problem with that. For the people who drive in the overtaking lane at this speed, going up behind them and flashing, beeping or otherwise bullying them into pulling over is not the way to proceed either. It doesnt really help the situation as these drivers wont know why you are doing this in the first place. Bitching about it on an internet forum isnt going to do much to resolve the situation either-especially considering the amount of posts already in this forum on the topic.
    Until we have a better learner system these issues will continue. Mention it to your local public representative the next time they call around looking for votes if it Irks you so much.
    Until then, have a bit of patience and be safe.
    Kippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kippy wrote:
    The general amount of elitism by certain people who believe dangerous driving is to be condoned just because there is a slow driver on the road.

100kph, which not driving at the "Target" of 120kph is a perfectly acceptable speed for some people. I have no problem with that. For the people who drive in the overtaking lane at this speed, going up behind them and flashing, beeping or otherwise bullying them into pulling over is not the way to proceed either. It doesnt really help the situation as these drivers wont know why you are doing this in the first place. Bitching about it on an internet forum isnt going to do much to resolve the situation either-especially considering the amount of posts already in this forum on the topic.
    Until we have a better learner system these issues will continue. Mention it to your local public representative the next time they call around looking for votes if it Irks you so much.
    Until then, have a bit of patience and be safe.
    Kippy
    Well said Kippy. :)

Advertisement