Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North East America basking

Options
  • 06-01-2007 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

You think its mild here,well some parts of the NE United States have recorded 21c yesterday thats including the Washington,New York and Boston areas up in the very high teens.
    Many parts of the northern hemisphere is under spring like conditions atm while not unusual here(our spring like temps in winter) in this part of the world records are being set in US for very unseasonal high temps.

Low or no snow cover across Europe,high temps in eastern US,high snowfall across the Denver area also snow in El paso to name a couple of examples.Scandinavia western Russia eastern europe are on the mild side and so on and this is just a moderate El nino year,whats a strong El nino:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

are Denver and El Paso areas that normally done get loads of snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Denver or the mile high city as they call it usually gets snowfall but not on the scale they got over the last 2 weeks.They got 3 events totaling nearly 3 feet of snow almost 3 years worth.
    El paso as south as it is in New Mexico has not seen snow for 3 years and even that was freak too.Not substantial depths but nonetheless its a place where cactus is your common household/garden plants and surrounded by desert.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Indeed, what have we done to our climate, what have we done :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

El Paso is in texas BTW. It straddles the border with Mexico.
    Snow is more common on the high desert plains of the south than you'd think.
    It's a lot rarer along the coast of the gulf states, where it was seen at xmas 2004; the first time they#'d had lying snow in the region in over 80 years.

As for el nino; it's been around longer than the industrial revolution or the internal combustion engine and has seemingly a lot bigger a role to play on world climate shifts than any average worldwide warming.
    I'm not decrying global warming here and would be of the opinion that global warming may in turn be intesifying the severity and regularity of el nino events...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Wertz wrote:
    Snow is more common on the high desert plains of the south than you'd think.
    It's a lot rarer along the coast of the gulf states, where it was seen at xmas 2004; the first time they#'d had lying snow in the region in over 80 years.

As for el nino; it's been around longer than the industrial revolution or the internal combustion engine and has seemingly a lot bigger a role to play on world climate shifts than any average worldwide warming.
    I'm not decrying global warming here and would be of the opinion that global warming may in turn be intesifying the severity and regularity of el nino events...

Indeed even in places like Arizona the mountians are snow capped. It was snowing on the Grand Canyon when I was there in April! They have it better then us;)

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote:
    Ah Soooo close.

Back to the North East of US and records have been broken in New York.With a cold front to follow through shortly to bring back the seasonal temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

And meanwhile in Nebraska they had an ice storm, pics here.

Just a coincidence I found the link on digg just after I read this thread

:eek: I hope those guys have standby generators & alternative heating.
    I wonder how many tonnes of extra weight those cables carried before they gave up.

F*ckin' hell....whilst looking for the Nebraska thing on digg, I came across a similar ice strom in switzerland with some stunning pics.

http://agisbau.com/ice.htm

That's a scary amount of ice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

how wud that much Ice form? Is it freezing rain that turns to ice on impact to the ground?

• Advertisement

Snow that melts as it's falling and the "rain" then frezes on contact with a cold surface....that's how such big layers build up on surfaces with very little area, like wires and tree branches.

that's freaky lookin but cool, has anything like that ever happened in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

wow - those swiss pics are amazing!!

Closest thing I've seen to that here was drops of rain on the car frozen. Feb 2005 I think. We had a couple of weeks of cold weather then with the temp see-sawing around 2c

A

Wertz wrote:
    Snow that melts as it's falling and the "rain" then frezes on contact with a cold surface....that's how such big layers build up on surfaces with very little area, like wires and tree branches.

I think in this instance the substantial amount of ice build up there would be caused by heavy rain falling from a warm layer above a super cooled thin cold layer without snow and obviously freezing upon contact with a surface.

Freezing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Just saw the ice storm site as well, and was looking through the links at the bottom. Ye probably saw this as well, but anyways this is one big amount of snow that fell in the Kansas region last week http://www.underthemeso.com/gallery2/misc/2006dec30/blizzard/ some of the bluest skies i've ever seen too...

Indeed, what have we done to our climate, what have we done :mad:

another way of looking at it - maybe our winters will get milder and shorter and our summers will be longer :)
    we are an island, with SW winds and a warm ocean current - snow when it does come is short lived and usually wet - its rare and even rarer to get proper snow.
    To all you dreamers wishing for snow - I hope the winters get milder hehehehe :p I prefer summer, I would rather it minus 5c than 10c so either gimme proper snow (never likely here) or just hurry up global warming !

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Perhaps not true blindforjustice ... perhaps not true

Temperature across the Northeast states could reach as low as -20c next week:eek: :D:D

wacky wacky climate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

another way of looking at it - maybe our winters will get milder and shorter and our summers will be longer :)
    we are an island, with SW winds and a warm ocean current - snow when it does come is short lived and usually wet - its rare and even rarer to get proper snow.
    To all you dreamers wishing for snow - I hope the winters get milder hehehehe :p I prefer summer, I would rather it minus 5c than 10c so either gimme proper snow (never likely here) or just hurry up global warming !

lol

Now I know why your Kenny ...:D

Advertisement