Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Metric speedos

Options
  • 06-01-2007 7:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

Are the speedos in all new Irish cars metric now? I thought Ireland got the exact same cars as the UK and they use imperial. Wouldn't this cause problems for sales?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

yes.since 06, same as uk ? never, they have a much higher standard spec thanks to v.r.t. here.

edit, correction: 05

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

AFAIK, we have metric clocks only since '05. UK still have dual with imperial as the major indicator.

No mention as yet for the NCT that the clocks have to be metric only. This might be an infingement of allowing free trade between other countries and restricting Irish people to only being able to buy Irish cars only.

To me, a left hand drive car here is more dangerous than a car with dual speedos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

You're right Lex, all new cars since 05 have to have metric clocks.

OP, you've obviously never been in a boggo spec UK car and a boggo spec Irish car of the same make/model. Stuff like aircon or even CD players which come standard in UK cars are often left out of Irish cars to keep the price (& VRT) down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

Thanks lads. Boggo spec!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lex Luthor wrote:

No mention as yet for the NCT that the clocks have to be metric only. This might be an infingement of allowing free trade between other countries and restricting Irish people to only being able to buy Irish cars only.

They'd be doing well to ban imperial speedo's on cars as there are hundreds of thousands of cars on the roads that are pre '05 and still will be for years yet.

Also my car only ever had a metric speedo and I never failed an NCT since they came in for not having imperial speedo. So if I can pass with a speedo that doesn't even have the speed markings on it, a car with both should be fine.

• Advertisement

You wouldn't put it past them to try something like every car from '05 on has to have metric speedo, but it would be impossible to bring in. Why should a pre '05 car pass and a '05 car not? I'm planning on going to the UK this year to get a car and was told it might not get as much as an equivalent Irish car come selling on because of the dual speedo. Bo!!ox is what I say.

Jap cars have been passing NCT's for years with metric only clocks on them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I'm thinking of buying a 2005 passat from uk.As already discussed above the clock will have the main speedo in MPH & the KPH in the smaller format.Just wondering if I will have trouble selling it on in a couple of years?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I'm planning on going to the UK this year to get a car and was told it might not get as much as an equivalent Irish car come selling on because of the dual speedo. Bo!!ox is what I say.
    That much is true, although it's anyone's guess how much less a car with dual clocks would be worth.

Moanin wrote:
    I'm thinking of buying a 2005 passat from uk.As already discussed above the clock will have the main speedo in MPH & the KPH in the smaller format.Just wondering if I will have trouble selling it on in a couple of years?
    To be honest, I don't think most people will give a $hit

As long as you can see your speed in Kmh, does it matter if it's in miles as well..

Could understand it it's in miles only.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You're right Lex, all new cars since 05 have to have metric clocks.
    I don't think thats correct. I don't think there was any legislation stating that speedos had to be metric although cars sold not have to include metric measurements (its been around for a while).
    Many new cars were on sale after the Go Metric craporama with imperial measurements as the dominant measurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

kbannon wrote:
    I don't think thats correct. I don't think there was any legislation stating that speedos had to be metric although cars sold not have to include metric measurements (its been around for a while).
    Many new cars were on sale after the Go Metric craporama with imperial measurements as the dominant measurement.
    Yes I seem to remember a thread on here where somebody was buying a MkI Focus in '05 and it had an imperial speedo and they were questioning the legality of it.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It could have been me!
    My folks were looking for a new focus at the time and most of them were imperial dominant despite it being april/may 05 IIRC.

Advertisement