Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked to install broadband at work......

Options
  • 06-01-2007 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi, I need a bit of advice on this:

I have been asked to install broadband at work, it's on behalf of our social club as there is no real need for it in our specific line of work.

The problem is that we need to include some sort of filer to eliminate people visiting undesirable websites. Also, I would prefer to stay away from providers that require a phone line or ntl - has anyone got any recommendations?

Also, I would like people to be able to browse on their own laptops - via wireless.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

most standard routers that you get nowadays come with inbuilt firewall and content filter which can be used to filter out the undesirable site.
    Also draft an internet access and email policy and get them to sign it so that you can cover yourself if they access something illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I do not think this is the case Neacy.
    Unless he goes out and buys a decent router. Any of the free ones do not include this. The netopia for instance does not.

Keizer you have a few choices. Either use a software option like routing it through wingate or a hardware option like getting a good router or just add a hardware firewall, though a firewall can be expensive.

The cheapest, as in free option though is to give the built in internet explorer content filter a go. However it can block more legit sites than not so its not a good solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Whatever about using software, the general done thing is to require employees/members/whatever to sign a code of conduct, one stipulation of which would be that certain sites are off-limits, and that certain content cannot be viewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Saruman wrote:
    I do not think this is the case Neacy.
    Unless he goes out and buys a decent router. Any of the free ones do not include this. The netopia for instance does not.

Keizer you have a few choices. Either use a software option like routing it through wingate or a hardware option like getting a good router or just add a hardware firewall, though a firewall can be expensive.

The cheapest, as in free option though is to give the built in internet explorer content filter a go. However it can block more legit sites than not so its not a good solution.

any of the newer Zyxel or D-links that i work with have content filters and firewalls in them....but i was only offering that as a basic option instead of having to spend more on firewall or software

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭keizer

Has anyone got a sample internet usage policy that I could have a look at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

http://tinyurl.com/w85ep
    google is your friend !!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭keizer

greglo23 wrote:
    http://tinyurl.com/w85ep
    google is your friend !!

excellent - thanks for all the replies so far

Advertisement