Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA Glasgow delivery charges misquoted

Options
  • 06-01-2007 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm not sure if this is in the right place.

I wanted to get some IKEA furniture in September. Of course there is no IKEA in Irelad but I had heard that the Glasgow store delivers here so I looked at the website. I couldn't find the details I wanted online so I e-mailed them and got the response that yes they do deliver to Ireland and the delivery charges to "sourthern" Ireland are £100 for firist 2 trolleys and £60 per tolley after that.

Off I went to Ikea and fitted out a new appartment. When I was there I was charged £190 for the first trolley and £80 for each additional trolley. I didn't have the origianal email with me but I knew this was more than I was quoted. Unfortunately after a full day in the store I was too tired to do anything more than question the store employees and I paid up. They told me to write when I got home and it would be sorted out.

I e-mailed as soon as I got home and got an apologic response but they couldn't do anything as I had to put complaint in writing (e-mail didn't count). I did this and got a similar response "yes you got incorrect nformation and we are sorry about this". The also said the information is on the website. It certainly wasn't at the time and I've just had a look again and the only two references to Ireland I can find have nothing to do with delivery charges.

There was no attempt made to refund me the money I was overcharged. Are they allowed to do this?
    Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks for any advice. In my experience before this anything like this has been resolved immediately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

oops, sorry, I've just seen the sticky about not hearing bad stories. Could one of the mods remove this if it's not appropiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Anthony1

Wheter they can or can't, I would write to them again threatening to report them to (a) the Trading Standards Office (b) the BBC consumer programme "Watchdog" and (c) the local press, if they don't refund you the difference. In a different situation this worked for me when I was trying to get a laptop delivered from the UK to Ireland. After 3 weeks waiting for my laptiop it arrived by courier the day after after I sent my threatening email.

These websites may help:

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/
    http://www.consumerassociation.ie/
    http://www.odca.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I've just got off the phone with IKEA. It has taken a while and a lot of perserverance on my part byt IKEA have just agreed to refund 150 pounds sterling to my credit card. Hard work but the right result in the end.

Advertisement