Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Campervan/Motorhome Conversion and Repair

Options
  • 06-01-2007 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

I am looking for somebody (preferably in the West) who has experience converting and repairing campervans. I'm having a problem with a built in fridge (not working, basically) and just need some advice about fixing it and possibly taking it out.

Thanks

Donncha

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

Hi,

I've dealt with www.eurotourers.ie in Dublin... and I'm pretty sure they use somebody based in the west for motorhome repairs etc. Perhaps they are limited to brands but it's worth giving them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I guess it's one of those 3-way fridges (12V / 230V / gas) ?

They can be a bit temperamental, especially if they haven't been used for a while due to the coolant not circulating properly.

Before you go off and get it looked at, try something simple first:

1) park your van on absolutely level ground, hook it up to 230V over night and switch on the fridge at full power. Check again in the morning. With the current outside temperatures the freezer compartment should actually have a bit of frost in it. Also try on gas, if 230v doesn't work. If neither work, try

2) switch it to 12V and take it for a drive. Select the worst road you can find, one with a lot of hard bumps. Basically, give it a good shake for a few hours. This has resurrected many a fridge from the dead:D , mine included. If that didn't help you could try

3) dependig on how easy it is to get at, remove the fridge completely (be careful to remove the gas coupling and all the wiring properly), take it out and put it on its head for a day or two ...then put it back in again and try again.

I don't actually know any service people, because for me measures 1) and 2) so far have always sorted the problem.

Once you get it going again, make sure to switch it on every few weeks, even if you're not using it.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 donncha foley

Cool, will try that, should have no problem finding bumpy roads round here! Thanks also for the eurotourers tip

Donncha

Advertisement