Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT overuse penalty

Options
  • 06-01-2007 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi, Can anyone tell me exactly what the penalties are for going over your download limit with BT. According to their FAQ regarding this they state,

"This data allowance is calculated on a daily basis and if you are above this amount we reserve the right to suspend or permanently disconnect your account in the first month that you are over."

Is there any truth in stories of people being charged per MB if they go over their limit???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

nope, none were charged with BT and only a few exceptional cases with eircom like an Internet Cafe with a residential not a busines package.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

per day/?

you can only do a certain amount PER DAY! thats bull ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the limits they impose are monthly not daily.

they are just saying that their broadband monitor updates daily which you can view

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

oh well thats good i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

I hit 30+ gigs one month with BT (20 GB limit) and was disconnected for the last few days of the month. No charge though. I go over every month I'd say but that's the only trouble I've had. As long as you don't really go to town on it you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

gone 70gig + plenty of times with eircom and bt, never anything happen to me.....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

only for over abusive users really, even then never heard of anyone actually being cut off from it for good, charge is supposed to be 3c/meg if you go over limit, but then again ive never seen that happen either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

i was on 6mb NTL but for some reason they were running a promotion on the QT in waterford and we were getting 12mb speeds, in one month myself and a friend racked up a whopping 160gigabyte download (possibly this included upload aswell) we were never disconnected or anything however about 5 months later i got a letter from ntl saying nearby users were complaining about slow download speeds and it was due to my excessive use, they claimed if this continued they would disconnect me from the service.

Never heard anything since, iv also had BT Broadband 3mb residential & 3mb business for ages and regurarly downlaod 60gigs plus and never here anything.

Iv got a friend on eircom who excessily dwnloads and he also has not heard anything ever.

Dont worry...

Advertisement