Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Laptops - One Crossover Cable: How easy is it?

Options
  • 06-01-2007 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

A friend of mine needs to transfer files from one laptop to another. He doesn't have a router so is it possible to directly connect both laptops together using a crossover cable? Is it easy to set up using the Network Setup Wizard?

Thank you for your help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Is there much? Would CD/DVD be just as easy? Failing that, a crossover ethernet cable is easy to use. Just plug in and assign IP addresses to both machines e.g. 192.168.1.100 & 192.168.1.100. You should then be able to browse each machine from the other. Or if they both have wireless capbility you could also do something with ad hoc mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Is there much? Would CD/DVD be just as easy? Failing that, a crossover ethernet cable is easy to use. Just plug in and assign IP addresses to both machines e.g. 192.168.1.100 & 192.168.1.100. You should then be able to browse each machine from the other. Or if they both have wireless capbility you could also do something with ad hoc mode.
    What he said. Except make sure the IPs have a different last 2 digits, I'm sure that's just a typo on his part though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Also share the drive you want to browse. Type in \\otherpcsipaddress in the address bar to access the PC then though setting them up on the same workgroup will be easier as you'll see them in network neightbourhood/places.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

which versions of windows are you running ?

firewalls make it difficult to file share, because that's what they are supposed to do. if neither are conected to the internet consider turning off the firewalls,

it's easiest to have both on the same workgroup and have a user with the same name and password at each end

actually setting up an FTP server is by far the easiest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

ciaranfo wrote:
    What he said. Except make sure the IPs have a different last 2 digits, I'm sure that's just a typo on his part though.
    Oh man. I hope the rest of the year isn't like that. Meant e.g. 192.168.1.100 & 192.168.1.200. Any number between 1 and 254 inclusive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement