Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ever happened to.....

Options
  • 06-01-2007 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ash have a new album out soon they were broke somehow.
    Radiohead also have new album out soon , Tom Yorke released a solo album the brothers helped one someones.
    Cranberries dunno dont care tbh :)
    Manics recording new album after long break.
    REM also care not :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

None of the above is a good band. 90s student fodder ugh! ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    personal opinion is great isn't it? :D

ash have gone back to a three piece aswell, so they aren't as nice to look at.

they also had an album since "free all angels" it's called "meltdown" and is alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No noes! ZZ Top will NEVER retire! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    At least not until after they get to play that space shuttle gig :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

REMs last studio album was 2004 and they toured extensively after its release. They released a best of (from IRS label) in late 2005.

They all seem to be pursuing their own projects at the moment, which isn't surprising given their history of collaboration, but I'd expect an album later this year maybe. They certainly haven't split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

What ever happened to good bands like Ash, The Cranberries, radiohead, manic street preachers and R.E.M?

Have you been living under a stone or something? :eek:

Let me start my rant with Radiohead (because they're who I'm most shocked about seeing on that list)
    Radiohead have recently come off a world tour. I went to see them in August and they are on top form, I have a video uploaded on YouTube. Amazing gig, I was right at the bar and tbh I almost s**t myself when they walked out right in front of me lol. They have an album, sort of...half done... (problems with a label) But will be out this year, during, if not before the summer. There are some songs circulating the internet, Bangers and Mash, Bodysnatchers, Arpeggi... If you wanna know more check out the regularly updated website http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace/
    It's been a while since I've heard anything from Ash, they attempted a come back a year or two ago but nothing much came of it, AFAIK.
    Manic Street Preachers are still on the go... I don't think they currently have an album out but they're still about... (Didn't they play ****** last year?)
    R.E.M have been explained sufficiently enough by my standards by Mike :D
    And finally, the Cranberries tbh I really am stumped on this one.

Rant over...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

The girl from Ash is releasing/has released a solo album. Ditto the singer from the Cranberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Colonel Kurtz

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Speaking of 90's student music - anyone have any clue what ever happened to The Presidents of the USA ? Their second album was a bit of a dissapointment and then they vanished.

Peaches was a real "moshing" classic !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

noby wrote:
    The girl from Ash is releasing/has released a solo album. Ditto the singer from the Cranberries.

Charlotte Hatherley's first album Grey Will Fade was released last year and it's great. There's a new one due out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Speaking of 90's student music - anyone have any clue what ever happened to The Presidents of the USA ? Their second album was a bit of a dissapointment and then they vanished.

Peaches was a real "moshing" classic !

Played the TBMC a little while ago i dunno if they are releasing or if they have released any new stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Played the TBMC a little while ago i dunno if they are releasing or if they have released any new stuff.

i thought they went back to their day jobs, one was i teacher i think?

manic street preachers are definitely doing another album, they recorded in a classy studio in rosemount( around there) westmeath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

naw the presidents are still on the go and doin pretty well if the packed out show at vicar street last year was anything to go by. Never had so much fun in my life.They released an album called love everybody last year aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They even looked like OAPs at the height of their success so I'm sure they'll stick around much longer :p

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the Cranberries are on "indefinite hiatus" - ie they've split. no loss there, one of the worst irish bands ever (and theres a lot of competition for that title). Unfortunately Dolores O'Riordan may be planning a solo career.

REM's last album was dreadful and they're only really sullying their legacy at this point. I love their 80s and early 90s stuff but its time they called it a day.

MSP I never had a lot of time for but at least their early stuff had a bit of life to it, their more recent records have been dull soft rock. Two of them released solo records last year (ie not the drummer or the missing one).

Ash\Radiohead - new albums due this year.

I think most bands do their best work in the first 5 years or so. Very few manage to maintain a high level of quality beyond that (even the Beatles only recorded for 8 years).

ye i got jams dean bradfield's album. a bit disappointed (that no way to tell i lie and emigre prob best) then again nicky wire had written most of msp lyrics with ricky (i think that was his name, fella who went missing in 1995) the album is similar to msp's latest stuff.

no your enemy got a bit of bad press, decent album though. their music being softer? ye but then again they are getting older and richer, would sound daft if the wrote the songs they wrote in the late 1980-mid 1990's. they would be faking it a bit.

is radiohead's last two albums any good, i know they proposely attempted not to go mainstream. rumour has it they are trying to get back to the ok computer sound/vibe

what has happened to supergrass, are they still together? i swore i heard the drummer, danny, went his seperate ways to do his own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

-Freebird- wrote:
    Have you been living under a stone or something? :eek:

Seconded :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

is radiohead's last two albums any good, i know they proposely attempted not to go mainstream. rumour has it they are trying to get back to the ok computer sound/vibe

Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief are both sublime, the latter is my favourite album ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Over christmas i rooted out a load to old CD's i had to put onto me iPod and it got me thinkin... What ever happened to good bands like Ash, The Cranberries, radiohead, manic street preachers and R.E.M?
    Pretty depressing Christmas by the sounds of it, I hope Ash were listened to the most.

maybe check out their offical websites and see whats the story with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Ocean colour scene, the beastie boys, beautiful south, chemical brothers, paddy casey, stereophonics and travis to name another few...........

Travis are due to release a new album soon. The Stereophonics have been recording a new album and Kelly will also have a solo album out this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

-Freebird- wrote:
    And finally, the Cranberries tbh I really am stumped on this one.
    Delores has been working on solo stuff (it seems she's been saying that since they first got together!) but it looks like she'll finally be releasing something this year in colaboration with Angelo Badalamenti.

The guitarist, Noel Hogan, has formed a new band with ex-Theremin front-man Richard Walters which they're calling Mono Band.

I haven't heard anything from Delores' new album, but I like what little I've heard of Mono Band. Although, I actually liked the Cranberries, so I'm not sure if many others here share my tastes.

Advertisement