Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on new model Seat Leon?

Options
  • 06-01-2007 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've pretty much decided to get a 2007 (or possibly 2006) Seat Leon. The model I'm thinking of is the 1.6 R. It's really the only mid-sized car I like the look of - I'm kind of particular about looks.

It's gotten pretty good reviews on the whatcar website, but I'm wondering if anyone here has one or has any opinions on it, before I commit to it.

I'm not enormously into cars so I'm not too aware of what's regarded as a good/bad car. I've test driven it and it seems fine. My current car is a ford puma so I find the Leon more boring to drive but I'm looking for something more practical and comfortable to drive now.

Cheers for the help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

I drove a '06 1.9 diesel R last week. It seemed to me that there was a fair bit of road noise transmitted into the cabin and I thought that the steering wheel felt particularly cheap. Apart from that it was fine (as much as you can tell from a car on a test drive). I've read magazine long term tests which talk of sqeaks from the dashboard area. They also commented on how larger alloys and lower profile tyres can mke the ride too harsh and increase road noise even more. The radios are said to be cheapish in terms of sound. They do look good though - especially in the darker colours. Maybe the darker glass option might be worth considering if you're buying new, and if looks are important to you then I'd definitely splash out on alloys.

The performance of the new 1.4 isn't too bad and the smaller engine size might help resale later on. There seems to be a good few '06 models around from you to choose from. I was going to look at a '06 1.9 diesel S model in black with aircon and low mileage for 22k in Michael Tynan's but changed my mind. it might be worth a look or maybe not - I can't vouch for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I saw a red 07 one today.From the outside it looked realy well

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I found that the new Leon looks too similar to the Altea and Toledo. It would be pretty unique if it didn't look so much like these other models. How many small MPV like cars do Seat really need?

I was also disappointed with the interior especially the dashboard. The plastics look a bit cheap imo and there are large amounts of blank spaces around the centre console area. The car still looks better than the VW Golf and Skoda Octavia on which it is based.

I also agree that the 1.4 litre will be alot easier to sell on in Ireland than the 1.6 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I drove the newest model toledo, and could'nt make up my mind which I disliked more - the inside or the outside.

However, the new leon is far more attractive externally.

Internally however (I'd imagine its identical to the toledo - apologies if I'm wrong), I felt it a very low rent place to be, and it didnt appear the sort of car that would stand up to much use. The plastics were very much on the cheap side, and some of the heating controls did'nt insire confidence in their longevity.

Build quality wise, imo, the new model octavia is miles ahead of it.

Advertisement