Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Eircom to Wireless ?

Options
  • 06-01-2007 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Have had Eircom broadband for over 2 years now and generally reliable though every 3-4 months it acts up like now. My connection drops every 15mins or so. According to the Netopia router my attentuation is around 38/39db and it's been this way since I got broadband. What usually happens is my 3meg line drops down to 2meg and attentuation goes up to 48db, then I get disconnected. You can see all this happening looking at the routers connection logs. As I said this only happens every few months and lasts a week or two.

Eircom have always told me when I rang that 38db is ok, except the guy last week who said this was in the red and the noise is the reason for the disconnection. Since then they have looked at the exchange and found there is nothing wrong. Rather then pay the call out charge I had the box rewired myself. We only have a single master box, no extensions and only broadband and tel. line connected. I disconnected sky. Made no difference.

I am now so annoyed I am considering dumping eircom altogether as clearly a 3meg line is not possible where I am living. Am considering the 3meg wireless breeze line from IBB. What is the story with them now. If you are in line of sight are they considered a reliable service now ?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Same boat as me,happy and good service for 2 years the last 4 months have been a nightmare and eircom refuse to address the issue.
    I too have been told the exchange is alright but i know for a fact it is not as the whole town is crawling at snails pace at this stage.

Only today while ive been exhausting every avenue a friend of a friend who is an eircom engineer told me [off the record lol] that eircom have far too many customers for the equipment at the exchanges and that the whole network is a disaster.

I too am considering wireless at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

dont get digiweb as i have the wireless 3meg metro "service".it was stable and fast at the start but like the other isp's i've been with it always goes downhill.i'm in d.16 area and i personally thingk its a contention issue accrording to them nothing wrong! lol my 3 meg dl was .7meg and my 512kbs upload was 200 the other night and been like that for a while but cust. service say my sig fine ffs! i just got my record with my ping to yahoo.com..... wait 4 it .......3165ms lol 2 any irish server/web site getting anything from 100ms to 600ms.oh and finally when i was sold the service i was told would not have any probs with online gaming but now i'm told there not responsible for the pings i'm getting even though the first 3 hops on the uk server i play r digiwebs and there the highest!
    ok sorry all done now anger at all isp's vented now (till i find a new one lol again)
    regards,(formally know as game4it) nogameable4it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Interesting..yeah I here lots of other stories about problems with wireless.

The eircom engineer finally went out and rang me and said nothing was wrong in the exchange. He wanted to call out of course but told him to bugger off as I know everything is fine on my end. Mysteriously my attentuation is still 38/39db as it's always been for over 2 years since I got broadband, but not 1 disconnection since he paid a visit and it was disconnecting all that morning before he rang ??

Just pinged yahoo and get an average of 146ms. Pinging boards get me 67ms. No idea if that is pants or not. But torrents are going slower then expected - around 130kb. Used be able to get closer to 280kb but I suppose it depends on the torrent and tracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

game4it70 wrote:
    dont get digiweb as i have the wireless 3meg metro "service".it was stable and fast at the start but like the other isp's i've been with it always goes downhill.i'm in d.16 area and i personally thingk its a contention issue accrording to them nothing wrong! lol my 3 meg dl was .7meg and my 512kbs upload was 200 the other night and been like that for a while but cust. service say my sig fine ffs! i just got my record with my ping to yahoo.com..... wait 4 it .......3165ms lol 2 any irish server/web site getting anything from 100ms to 600ms.oh and finally when i was sold the service i was told would not have any probs with online gaming but now i'm told there not responsible for the pings i'm getting even though the first 3 hops on the uk server i play r digiwebs and there the highest!
    ok sorry all done now anger at all isp's vented now (till i find a new one lol again)
    regards,(formally know as game4it) nogameable4it
    The only mast with an issue is Three Rock. I don't think it is Digiweb contention.

Advertisement