Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

domain selling to a specific big company

• 06-01-2007 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

I recently purchased two domain names that i believe could be valuable to AMD or ATI.
    Since this board is usually very good with advice, I was curious if anyone here has had experience in this type of dealing. I decided to contact the company ATI directly so that is done. The query was just requesting more appropriate contact information rather than their usual customer support lines.

Is the general consensus here that they will be interested or are large companies usually dismissive of events like this?
    Given thier recent product initative together, I am quite inclined to believe they could be something worthwhile.
    Has anyone any advice on how best to continue this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

So you're saying you're a domain parker, and want help trying to screw companies out of as much as you can?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

domain parkers bug me. find a proper way to make money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

So you're saying you're a domain parker, and want help trying to screw companies out of as much as you can?

in a word..yes. If this was a huge surplus of coal and i bought it for cheap because i anticipated that a company would need it, then sold it on for more? would it be less scruputulous to you then? its not a kidney i'm reselling.
    Unless you think reselling resources is a disgrace in general. I figured this was just general business though.
    Isn't this just basic resourcing? In my opinion if I can predict a big company needs a unique resource(or very rare) and buy it up before them(due to myself acting faster or thier own....problems), then sell it on for more, I think I well deserve the profit.

@coolmoose: My proper way of making money btw is software development. I'm just starting out so i am trying to subsidise my earnings to gain as money as quickly as possible to buy a nice big house when i can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

theTinker wrote:
    Is the general consensus here that they will be interested or are large companies usually dismissive of events like this?
    Given thier recent product initative together, I am quite inclined to believe they could be something worthwhile.
    Has anyone any advice on how best to continue this?
    Dismissive and if they really want it take you to court where they can prove that you have no product or history to claim said name and win it back for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

if the domain name is some term either company have copyrighted or trademarked then you will end up here http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/index.html

Contacting them asking for money for the domain highlights that you don't have a use for the domain yourself and will weaken your case.

If it is not a trademarked term then they may play ball but it is very unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

Thanks for the link. Quite informative.

would it work for me that the big already online company announced new product lines freely to the world, and days later they still hadnt purchased the domains? I would think it a silly move if they want the domains but released to the press all the info without getting them first.
    My main reason would be that they were too incompetent(prolly a better word) and obviously left themselves open. Would this reason be enough in your(or anyone elses) opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you attempt to "pass off" or approach them with the domains they'll simply set their lawyers on you, take you to UDRP. Win. And bankrupt you in the process.

Advertisement