Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slingbox won't work on Eircom BB

Options
  • 06-01-2007 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

I am running eircoms 3mb broadband. It runs through a Netgear WGT624 router to my LAN.
    I recently purchased a Slingbox. This device connects your TV to your LAN and you can watch tv programs or video on any machine (running the software) on your lan or over the internet.
    The thing is fine on my LAN but when I try to configure the internet part of it I get a message that the machine cannot be seen from the internet. I tried every setting to no avail.
    Then I unplugged the eircom modem from the router and plugged in a borrowed IBB Ripwave 'Wabbit' Modem.
    Guess what, yes, it now works. So the problem lies with the internet service.
    Have eircom blocked some services over broadband and if so how do I get sorted. Obviously I don't want to switch to IBBs poor speeds.
    Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

ring eircom custmoer care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smokeyrosco

I'd imagine you'll need to configure the eircom router, it has a built in firewall.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Nothing to do with eircom it is simply the port is blocked on the router, go 192.168.1.254 which will be your routers IP address and in there configure the correct ports needed for the slingbox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Thanks for the advice. I got in to the Modems setup page. I hadn't realised that there was one. I thought it just connected and that was that. Turned off DHCP (My router manages that), set up a custom service for the slingbox and set a Static NAT to the router and now it works.

Thanks guys

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Glad it worked what is the quality like on the Slingbox thinking of getting the 3 XSeries as that comes with a slingbox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Aw s**t. The configuration worked on the host machine, that is the wizard finished successfully, but I still can't see it over the internet from a remote location.
    That being said, If I never get it to work its still worth the money to have TV on my LAN (2PCs and 2 laptops) and I've freed up two pci slots by removing two Hauppauge WinTV Cards.
    The two images below show the quality of the image. Those reddish contour lines aren't visible in real life and, before you ask, printscreen doesn't capture a TV image, you have to use a camera

001.jpg

002.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 declans

jpfahy wrote:
    Obviously I don't want to switch to IBBs poor speeds.
    Any advice appreciated

Hi

I have remotely slinging for 6 Months or so , At the moment your home LAN is giving you the MAX throughput possible with the Slingbox ie 3 MB , It will be a different story entirely when you sling remotely as the quality depends entirely on your ISP's upload speed which for Eircom DSL is a miserable 384k not allowing for Overheads

So you will see at best a 10 fold decrease in Picture Quality making anything fas moving virtually unwatchable , SKY News etc will be fine but forget watching Football etc ,

I am using the Slingbox on the IBB 3MB Package and my sister is Sydney gets over 2MB when viewing and fantastic picture quality over extended periods, Its Connected to a Windows Media Center PC here and all the Eastenders , Corrie news etc is recorded and she can log in during her daytime (Sydney is 11 Hours ahead) and keep up to date and her Husband watches News/Current affairs all without interfereing with our viewing ,

Soon you will be able to view at remote locations without the need for a PCLaptop or mobile phone.
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/07/sling-medias-new-slingcatcher/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 declans

jpfahy wrote:
    Obviously I don't want to switch to IBBs poor speeds.
    Any advice appreciated

Hi

I have remotely slinging for 6 Months or so , At the moment your home LAN is giving you the MAX throughput possible with the Slingbox ie 3 MB , It will be a different story entirely when you sling remotely as the quality depends entirely on your ISP's upload speed which for Eircom DSL is a miserable 384k not allowing for Overheads

So you will see at best a 10 fold decrease in Picture Quality making anything fas moving virtually unwatchable , SKY News etc will be fine but forget watching Football etc ,

I am using the Slingbox on the IBB 3MB Package and my sister is Sydney gets over 2MB when viewing and fantastic picture quality over extended periods, Its Connected to a Windows Media Center PC here and all the Eastenders , Corrie news etc is recorded and she can log in during her daytime (Sydney is 11 Hours ahead) and keep up to date and her Husband watches News/Current affairs all without interfereing with our viewing ,

Soon you will be able to view at remote locations without the need for a PCLaptop or mobile phone.
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/07/sling-medias-new-slingcatcher/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

TCP/IP wrote:
    Glad it worked what is the quality like on the Slingbox thinking of getting the 3 XSeries as that comes with a slingbox

No it doesn't, it comes with a slingbox client, the actual slingbox hardware is extra (200 euro or so)

Advertisement