Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Jet ski???

Options
  • 06-01-2007 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

I am thinking about buying a jet ski. I am looking for something second hand and have a buget of about 10k. I know very little about makes etc. but I have spent a lot of time jet skiing in the past.

It will be used mainly in salt water.

Any suggestions about what make i should look for and what questions i need to ask if buying.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I presume you wan't a sit-down?

The most important thing is that the engines are flushed after every use. But of course someone selling one is going to say that it was flushed, even if it wasn't

Usually your exhaust manifold will be the first to fall apart from salt water corrosion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I would look at yamahas. I worked a summer in a boat rental place in the states and they used these. All the abuse they took and they gave few problems. Look at the VX110 model. I hit over 65mph on them on a regular basis. Also look at sea-doos. They make a model up to 185bhp I think! Its a supercharged engine as far as I know. That is crazy speed in a jetski. Look at the autotrader in the boat section, there are several jet-ski dealers in the North and I'd say this time of year would be a good time to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭busbybhoy

Thanks for all the help guys. My mind is nearly made up. Its either a Yamaha GP1300 or Yamaha FX. Would prefer the FX but seems to be hard to comeby. If anyone knows of one for sale let me know.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

i know of a vx110 sport was brand new last july that would probley be something you might like pm me for mor details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

The GP1300 should be fun. I would recommend trying to get a 4 stroke jetski. The difference between the vx110's and the older 2 stroke yamahas at the place I worked was stark. The 4 stroke is far smoother, reliable and was faster. Much easier to handle in rough seas too, though this was probably due to its newer design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

i agree the two stroke are known for giving trouble four stroke defo the way to go the four stroke seem to handle a bit better and you can have more fun on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭busbybhoy

Ya from the info i have got the 2 stroke produce the power but at a risk. Gone of the VX now. Most reviews say it it sluggish.

It is now either the FX high output or preferably the Kawasaki STX-12F. These seem to be impossible to come by. If anyone has any more info on where to buy im all ears

Advertisement