Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carved Chicken Bones - Any recipies

• 06-01-2007 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭

It seems wasteful to me to be wasting the main body which still has some chicken on it to be thrown out.
    I just roasted a chicken and picked it relatively clean and used the meat for a dinner.
    Just think looking at the bone and the juices (I poured them into a dish as it seemed a terrible waste of natural flavour) that there must be a use for them.

Stock would be the obvious choice but don't really have a need for stock.
    Could I make a chicken soup?, anyone have any other ideas for usage of a fresh chicken carcass and juices?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Last time I made a soup with the carcass, add some herbs etc, and break some spaghetti into it, to make a noodle soup.
    Can't' remember what I did exactly but it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

You could make soup. Just add root veg of your choice; carrots, celery, potato, etc. I'd add a chilli or two and probably some tomatoes but thats me. Add a boquet garni and some salt and pepper. Simmer it for maybe two hours. Depending on the veg you use it might be quite bland so make sure you season before you turn off the heat. Try adding a little curry powder or tabasco to give it a kick. Then sieve it all and put back in just the veg. Id leave that to cool down and then sieve and voila! Soup.
    But frankly its a lot of work for a soup that I dont think is a patch on most veg soups.

In my house we always use the chicken juice and the crunchy bits on the roasting pan to make gravy to go with the chicken.
    Weightwatchers it isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah, as taztastic says, the roasting pan bits are best used for the gravy.

For soup, pick the carcass clean, and reserve the meat.

Put the carcass into a pan of clean, cold water, barely covering the carcass. Add a bayleaf, an onion, a carrot, a stick of celery and a few whole black peppercorns. Heat to simmering point and allow to simmer for an hour. Strain all of the liquid into a bowl. This stock is now your soup base - discard the carrot and onion you used for the stock, there's no flavour left in them.

You have a few choices for your stock - traditional chicken soup, or a chinese noodle soup, or a thai soup. Taste the stock for seasoning (may need salt).

For chinese, add egg noodles, chopped spring onion and your reservered chicken meat. Takes about six or seven mins.

For thai, add some straw mushrooms, some lime leaves or the juice of a lime to taste, some rice noodles and your chicken with a splash of fish sauce and some chopped chili if you like. (You can also add sliced galangal and lemongrass for flavour.) Again takes less than 10 mins - rice noodles take three or four mins in boiling stock, don't overcook them or they'll turn to mush.

For traditional, add chopped potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, a handful of barley if it's to your taste, allow to cook, then add your chicken meat. Takes up to 30 mins (to ensure all veg are cooked.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Seems strange you say you have no need for stock, then ask about chicken soup. All the above recipes are basically saying "Make stock then do the following..."

Stock is the best thing you can make with a carcass, and besides soups, you can use it with risotto, pies, curries stews etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Aye, stock, and if you don't need the stock just freeze it.

I find the best way to make stock with chicken carcass is to break the bones with pliars to ensure all the marrow comes out. And my mother tells me that I should also fry the bones a little before making stock, I haven't noticed anything beneficial from frying the bones though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks all, made some soup in the end :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement