Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat Darters

Options
  • 07-01-2007 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Why are all the people who play darts so fat, Barney is about 15 stone and phil taylor is at least 20. I mean they could do something other than sit in a pub all day and have pints and nuts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It's a fat knacker sport imo!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Inspector

I aggree with you there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Well being of slender build is no way advantageous in the sport really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Kenny 5 wrote:
    It's a fat knacker sport imo!!!

Why a knacker sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Why a knacker sport?

you have to be kidding:)

• Advertisement

ye i was going to say "sport"....i consider it a pub game to be honest but i don't think its knackerish at all

well its a cheap game that could lead to fights

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Its because its not a sport and requires no physical conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

So should the forum be moved? Move the snooker, shooting, archery forums etc... while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Inspector wrote:
    well its a cheap game that could lead to fights

Yep, no way football, rugby , gaa etc could have any fights.

• Advertisement

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Why a knacker sport?

Have you ever watched it? If you have you'd know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    So should the forum be moved? Move the snooker, shooting, archery forums etc. (I'm not advocating a move)

Whatever about actually being a sport, it is a very difficult game of skill. Ever hit a 180? It's damn hard. And even harder to do it on demand.

Yes, fitness is not critical but nor is it for chess, bowling or bridge either - all sports recognised by the IOC.
    Last year's BDO World Champion was anything but fat - a fit 19 year old from Holland. However, the PDC World Final told another story - Taylor and Barney must have near 40 stone between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Inspector wrote:
    Why are all the people who play darts so fat, Barney is about 15 stone and phil taylor is at least 20. I mean they could do something other than sit in a pub all day and have pints and nuts

I'm 15 stone but i'm not fat!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Isn't it a good thing that body type doesn't matter in Darts.
    I mean you can be as tall and lean as Scholten (6'4") or as short and round as Jocky was... and anything in between.
    The sport or game of darts is unique in several ways: the equipment required to play is reasonably inexpensive, a relatively small amount of space is required to play, and special clothing is not required. Age, gender, size and physical strength/endurance have almost no effect on a player's ability to do well. These factors combine to make darts the appealing and popular game it is today

The comment referring to darts (traditionally a working class game) as a knackerish sport is crass and tells more about the posters prejudice...

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

from http://www.darts.150m.com/History.htm
    Is it a Sport or a Game?...

On The 24th March 2005 Sport England took the lead in officially recognising darts as a sporting activity.

The decision was approved at a recent Sport England Main Board meeting and paves the way for further recognition from other sports councils in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

In taking the initiative to acknowledge darts as a legitimate sporting activity, Sport England took into account its status as a national and international sport, its high and growing levels of participation and the physical and mental skills and dexterity needed to compete successfully.

Sport England Chief Executive, Roger Draper, said that the Board decision looked beyond the stereotypical image of darts and took into account its many positive sporting and social values: “The presentation of darts as a pub game has helped popularise its cult appeal, but the reality is that it is a sport played by many thousands of people across the county in locations ranging from schools to village halls, social clubs and sports centres".

"By taking the lead in recognising the skills and social and community values associated with darts, we hope others will follow suit in the near future to complete its formal and official recognition as a sport,” he added.

There are plenty of games that don't involve physical activitie like snooker and tiddilywinks but none of them are fat but in darts its rare to see anyone under 15 stone

Once again, you're prejudices and stereotyping is showing through.

You clearly know little about darts. Whilst there are plenty of fat guys in it, there are plenty of not fat in it also.

Edit: Gille, you sure?

Pretty sure yeah!
    Lots of muscle! Just making the point that 15 stone is not necessarily fat!

Just poking fun, sorry. No offence intended.:)

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Have you ever watched it? If you have you'd know why.

Yes i watch it all the time and I think you're talking rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

can anyone name a world champion that isn't fat

If you bothered to read my earlier post, the current BDO World Champion is a slim 19 year old from Holland - Jelle Klaasen.

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Yes i watch it all the time and I think you're talking rubbish.

specsavers.jpg

isn't Barney the current world champion

Of the PDC, yes. The BDO is a separate Championship.

In light of your lack of knowledge, what kind of question were you posing in the 1st place!

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but i only have basic tv and cant keep with the fat sport that is darts

cast_iron wrote:
    Just poking fun, sorry. No offence intended.:)

Hey none taken!:D

does anyone know who the fattest dart person is

Has to be Andy Fordham!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Well if darts is on sport channels, then i hazard to guess why the **** poker has so much Sport-channel airtime.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement