Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from a forum.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

were there a number of posts deleted from that thread?

i fail to see any reason for banning anyone.

The first time I looked at the thread the last 3 posts were from Diogenes
    and now there is only 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seeing as the matter has been resolved, I'm not going to post my opinion about the initial banning.

FWIW Diogenes, it's generally accepted that if you're involved in a debate and the other side fail to come back with any sort of cogent argument, you've won. There's no need to continue pressing them for an answer. You may want to continue the discussion, but if there's no-one to discuss it with...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Thaedydal wrote:
    The first time I looked at the thread the last 3 posts were from Diogenes
    and now there is only 1.
    That's page 1 (if you are at 30ppp) that you were first looking at. There aren't any deleted posts on the thread afais.

I must say that I'm pretty excited at the thought of 30 pages of material in the works. I wonder how many posts will have to be used to split that mother up. If my calculations are correct and miju is still at page 30 of his epic works then I calculate he will be finished in precisely one weeks time. This is because he was "half way" through at page 18 on the 23rd Dec hence writing at a rate of 6 pages per week. And if we are at page 30 now then he has only 6 pages to go = one week.

Isn't everything a conspiracy theory really?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

planning on uploading it as a word document as figured would be the easiest way of doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

PDF ftw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

How big is your font size?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

seamus wrote:
    FWIW Diogenes, it's generally accepted that if you're involved in a debate and the other side fail to come back with any sort of cogent argument, you've won.

Or that your argument is so inane that your opponents have been reduced to gibbering wrecks despairing over the future of the human race because of the failure of evolution in weeding out people like yourself. Of course, if you are trolling, this could still be construed as winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

seamus wrote:
    Seeing as the matter has been resolved, I'm not going to post my opinion about the initial banning.

FWIW Diogenes, it's generally accepted that if you're involved in a debate and the other side fail to come back with any sort of cogent argument, you've won. There's no need to continue pressing them for an answer. You may want to continue the discussion, but if there's no-one to discuss it with...

on the other hand, it wasnt a debate or an arguement, it was someone saying they were putting up some exceptional piece of information which the entire world has been curious about for the last 40 years.

if thats not worth posting up a couple of requests for the information, im not sure what is.

now, if you can show me how they managed to get that spaceship to the moon and not film it in nevada, that id like to know about.

men on the moon. thats just crazy talk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

InFront wrote:
    How big is your font size?
    :D Isn't it more polite to at least ask a/s/l before you ask someone that kind of personal question?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is why Mods should NOT moderate their own threads. What should have happened was that Miju should have called in the other mod or category mod to moderate the thread. Thus avoiding all possibility of conflict of interest and PERCEPTION of conflict of interest. I dont think you would have gotten banned because you wouldnt have sent abusive pm's in that case (perhaps)

The independant moderator should have then warned Diogenes to quit the harrassing PM (Diogenes, if you had sent a PM screaming WHERES THE PROOF at me, you'd be banned so fast your head would spin, I dont expect ANY user to have to put up with that, if he wont provide proof then you have challenged it and silence will speak for itself. This isnt the politics forum).

Bumping old threads repeatedly is a site wide guideline. Twice in a month doesnt seem excessive but in light of the additional "waaaaaaahing" I can see how you got banned. Its correct and good that you have been unbanned now.

My 2c on the situation.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

and people say the system doesnt work :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

DeVore wrote:
    . I dont think you would have gotten banned because you wouldnt have sent abusive pm's in that case (perhaps)

I really wouldn't have, I exhausted all posibilties with miju, having sent several pm's after finding out why I was banned or for how long. I tried to rationally discuss the absurdity of the issue and offered several alternatives which were treated with indifference by muji. I applied to his Co moderator who seemed to have a pontius pilote attitude of "it's not my problem" in his pm's. I didn't realise there was a higher authority in the form of CMods, as the forum only listed miju and billy as the only mods.
    Bumping old threads repeatedly is a site wide guideline. Twice in a month doesnt seem excessive but in light of the additional "waaaaaaahing" I can see how you got banned.

Again and with respect this isn't a chicken and egg thing. I was banned without warning. It took several pms to figure out why I was banned, and trying to get the mods to justify the ban in terms of the forum charter. Then trying to reason with the mod to lift a forum wide ban, because he didn't want me to post on a single thread till he was ready. In addition, I had to explain to a mod why this was an indefinitive ban, and ask his fellow mod if he felt this was fair.

I sent muji a pm asking at what point was he planning on writing the post, that would lift the ban. At each question I was stonewalled. I got very, very, very frustrated at Muji's unwilliness to enter into a dialogue. I got exasperated. I sent two spammy pms, and when asked I stopped. I stopped. I've apologised, but I don't think I'm the only one who acted in an irrational manner, and I don't think I started this behaviour, and I think I'm the only one who's apologised.

Somewhat cynically I was pleasantly surprised by the response I recieved here. Witnessing how most of these "why was I banned" threads invariably turn out in feedback. There's a hostile gladitorial attitude (now don't get me wrong, threads like MacMorris's deserve what they get), but I have in the few months that I've posted here, rarly seen a "why was I banned" thread resolve amically.

If I had know that the I would be recieved in such a balanced and fair manner I would not have sent the pair of "abusive" pms. I felt it was an abuse of mod power to ban me in the first place, and I felt the forum I was being directed to, was unfairly balanced in his favour. I stand corrected and appreciate the attitude expressed here.

Now muji, I will wait patiently for the evidence and for an explanation for what "I just don't get"...

Though if you don't mind in the interium I will start posting up the dirth of forensic evidence that proves Oswald did it, Its not needlessly bumping the thread, its just saving me the hassle of posting it later.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Good, then more or less we are agreed and sanity has prevailed and everyone has learned something.

Time for ginger beer.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

DeVore wrote:
    Good, then more or less we are agreed and sanity has prevailed and everyone has learned something.

Time for ginger beer.

DeV.

Lashings and lashings of ginger bear?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks everyone. This thread really picked me up. Had a rotten day but got a few lolz outta this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Diogenes wrote:
    Lashings and lashings of ginger bear?

The poor bear.....repeatedly using a whip (or lash) on it just cause its a redhead seems a bit excessive.

Advertisement