Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

birds flying south in January!!

• 07-01-2007 1:21am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

at around 11am today I saw eight, what I think were swans (not flying in v formation, so i assume not geese & superb long necks) flying south, I was in the car an they were quite close. Gosh, It was greeeat to see:p.

Then a couple hours later again in the car I was heading north (about 30miles away from where I saw first lot) I saw two more flying south, One of these appeared black or dark colored (was it a goose or a swan??)..

As usual the camera was at home when I needed it:rolleyes:

Anyone have any idea as to what birds they were?
    Why flying south at this time of year?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Not really enough info for an ID, I suspect. Suggest you browse around the RSPB a-z of birds: http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/index.asp. If you can name the location you saw them, that might help folks in the know too.

Check out the three types of swan that occur in Ireland: Mute (the common ones that stay all year round, like in parks etc.), Whooper (come in from Iceland for our nice warm winters) and Bewick (ditto except from Siberia apparently). All white but perhaps juveniles would be off-white this time of year. Sometimes black swans are seen in Ireland - but they are usually escapees from captivity.

If they aren't a swan, then check out the geese...Barnacle, Brent, White Fronted, etc.... Shelduck is a big duck worth a quick look too.

Why flying South? Could be anything, but some birds only come into Ireland (from Greenland/Iceland/Scandanavia etc.) later in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's odd, I spotted a whole flock (20+) of what I assume were geese (they were honking like geese anyway) flying *north* on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

They could be relatively local movements, though. Flying in a southerly direction rather than South, if you know what I mean.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Nope I'm afraid I couldn't id them at all as, they were close but not close enough.... I've a feeling they were swans maybe they were just moving to a new site..

But you know how people say that birds fly south for the winter and I was wondering if it was an unusual sight at this time of year....but prob not...

was lovely to see though......

I think the birds are a bit confused alun:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Birds fly in all directions once they have arrived from their Summer ranges. They will fly about the locality in search of food or shelter. It's not all South in Winter and North in Spring!

• Advertisement
Advertisement