Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dudek for the Arsenal goals

• 07-01-2007 3:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭

Thought this might deserve a thread of its own. Dudek was absolutely terrible for all 3 Arsenal goals. Not sure if it's true that he recently handed in a transfer request and this was declined, but that's what I've heard recently.

For the first, he threw a dive for the cameras, but might have got closer to it. It was a World Class goal though, so maybe he can't be blamed for not stopping a shot. When you have Gerrard and Alonso in the middle, you know your defence isn't going to get any cover, and edge-of-the-box shots like that are going to have to be dealt with.

Second goal likewise, the defending was non-existent; a few half-arsed tackles went in and Rosicky did well to evade them. The lad was on fire, and the shot was on target but come on, it was slow-motion stuff from Dudek.

The Henry goal was the worst of all; Christ, was it me or did he actually dive over the ball? Now obviously Carragher was a disgrace; he clears the ball and the Dudek thing doesn't even come into it; an England defender shouldn't be left on his arse like that, but then that's Henry for you, that's the effect he can have on opposition players, and games in general. The shot wasn't even that powerful, and watching it again and again I simply cannot believe Dudek couldn't save it if he really wanted to.

If I were a Liverpool fan (a Ryanair type or a RTK type) there's no way I would want him in the team again, and I'd have serious doubts about Benitez if he picks him again for the league cup game. If he saved 25 penos in the Champions League final, that shouldn't even come into it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Bateman wrote:
    Thought this might deserve a thread of its own. Dudek was absolutely terrible for all 3 Arsenal goals. Not sure if it's true that he recently handed in a transfer request and this was declined, but that's what I've heard recently.

For the first, he threw a dive for the cameras, but might have got closer to it. It was a World Class goal though, so maybe he can't be blamed for not stopping a shot. When you have Gerrard and Alonso in the middle, you know your defence isn't going to get any cover, and edge-of-the-box shots like that are going to have to be dealt with.

Second goal likewise, the defending was non-existent; a few half-arsed tackles went in and Rosicky did well to evade them. The lad was on fire, and the shot was on target but come on, it was slow-motion stuff from Dudek.

The Henry goal was the worst of all; Christ, was it me or did he actually dive over the ball? Now obviously Carragher was a disgrace; he clears the ball and the Dudek thing doesn't even come into it; an England defender shouldn't be left on his arse like that, but then that's Henry for you, that's the effect he can have on opposition players, and games in general. The shot wasn't even that powerful, and watching it again and again I simply cannot believe Dudek couldn't save it if he really wanted to.

If I were a Liverpool fan (a Ryanair type or a RTK type) there's no way I would want him in the team again, and I'd have serious doubts about Benitez if he picks him again for the league cup game. If he saved 25 penos in the Champions League final, that shouldn't even come into it.

He is very prone to dropping a howler or two in big games at Anfield, as Man Utd fans will no doubt testify. I don't think he deliberately let the goals in today, I just think he's a very poor keeper. I don't really know what Rafa was doing playing him today (unless Reina was injured, I was working so didn't hear any reasoning for it). He won't be there much longer I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i agree i taught he was terrible tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Bateman wrote:

You say he was terrible for all 3 goals yet can't be blamed for the first one since it was a world class goal ???
    Bateman wrote:

Probably not the best reactions in the world but maybe he was not expectng the shot with so man defenders around him, ball was put in the corner of the goals to be fair.
    Bateman wrote:

Henry goal was poor but to imply that he left it in on purpose is just a poor effort to start up a discussion in my opnion.
    Liverpool were ****e and deserved to lose, cant blame Dudek for them being awful, thats about it, dont think the 3 goals conceded deserves a thread of its own.
    Why not start a thread about the goal Arsenal conceded, should Alumnia been out in front of Kuyt....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

You help a team win europes biggest prize and then get replaced, im sure he just picking up is paycheck and waiting for his bosman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I can't believe there's a thread on this. Surely this can go in with all the other Liverpool rants that we hear on a daily basis.

Maybe I should start a thread on the keeper who had a swing and miss for Stockport against Watford yesterday or your man Veiga's poor attempt at saving Norwich's third goal yesterday. Both of these are far worse than anything Dudek did. Liverpool were a shambles as a whole but yet the man who hasn't played in months becomes the fall guy. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Bateman wrote:
    Thought this might deserve a thread of its own

why would it? what's wrong with the FA Cup 3rd Round thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Xavi6 wrote:
    I can't believe there's a thread on this. Surely this can go in with all the other Liverpool rants that we hear on a daily basis.
    What about Chelsea Crisis, Shels Crisis, Ronney has to be dropped/let go, Ronaldo has to go/dropped,
    It is not only Liverpool that puts up threads outside the Liverpool Transfer and general thread in fact there are 2 United Transfer rumors/Discussion threads 1 for 2006 and 1 for 2007:confused: where as there is 1 for Liverpool. It is not only Liverpool who put up pointless threads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dont forget "Barton for England" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Ridiculous. For the second and third goals, Rosicky and Henry merely had to pick their spots as the Liverpool defenders decided they weren't up to making a tackle. I blame Finnan and Agger in particular for the shambolic Liverpool defending yesterday.

Besides the defence not doign his job he was weak for the goals.

Theres a whole thread on goalkeepers where given is being praised for playing so well under similar circumstances.

The first goal was well hit, his positioning was such that he was in the ideal place for Rosicky's shot to get up over him and back down into the goal. A few feet further out or back in and he'd have saved it. Unfortunate more than anything.

Henry's goal : he should never have been trying to get down with his hands, it was hit from too close, he needed to stand up and just try get a leg on it.

Rosicky's 2nd was a weak attempt at a save.

The defence was to blame for allowing the shots in the first place, but a kkeepers job is to save things when they do get by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Henry's goal : he should never have been trying to get down with his hands, it was hit from too close, he needed to stand up and just try get a leg on it.

The ball was too far away for him to get a leg on it.
    Henry finish was actually very good, despite being slightly scuffed. It was hit low, but far enough away so he couldn't use his legs, so the keeper has to get down incredibly quickly, which I'd say most keepers in the world couldn't have done.
    I don't think Buffon or Cech would have saved that, maybe Casillas, but doubtful.

tbh, I think the blaming of Dudek is just to avoid blame on Liverpool's midfield and defense for the goals.
    Carragher was at fault for the third goal. Agger should have done better and gotten a tackle in. In a one on one situation, where the attacker has a clear shot on goal, people should expect a goal, and a save is extra-ordinary

Gerrard was at fault for the 2nd goal, as he pulled out of the tackle with Rosicky.

nobody was really at fault for the first goal, it was just beautiful football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I'm not a Liverpool fan, or even sympathiser, to clear that up. :confused:

I thought it was worth a thread of its own because having watched most of the other goals yesterday, Dudek's goalkeeping sticks out for me as being particularly appalling.
    You say he was terrible for all 3 goals yet can't be blamed for the first one since it was a world class goal ???

Pretty much, yeah. It was an attempt to start a discussion so I was kind of thinking aloud, trying to play devil's advocate.

For the record, I don't think he "deliberately let in" any goals, but the more I watch it there's just a nagging doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

If you try pretty hard, Dudek does look slightly like Grobelaar...

But come on, 1st goal was brilliantly taken and the 2nd and 3rd came from defensive mistakes in front of him. Dudek is the easy target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Dudek is the easy target.

Agreed. While his performance can be questioned, there was far more wrong with Liverpools performance yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Stekelly wrote:
    Dont forget "Barton for England" :D

As much as I'd love to have included it in the 'Manchester City Transfers and Rumours' thread there isn't one. But hey maybe it's time one was started.

Xavi6 wrote:
    As much as I'd love to have included it in the 'Manchester City Transfers and Rumours' thread there isn't one. But hey maybe it's time one was started.

Well if Leeds can have one. Cant see why City cant seeign as there usually a good bit of activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Stekelly wrote:
    Well if Leeds can have one.

I resent that statement !! :D

I resent that statement !! :D

Noted and diregarded. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I only saw the first goal - and yes it was a great goal, but I though Dudek could have been better.

It was his positioning that let him down, he came out from his line anticipating the cross, but when it didn't come, he failed to move back to his goal, hence leaving enough room to get the ball over him!

Why was he playing anyway??? Was it benitex just messing with team selection again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

tomED wrote:
    I only saw the first goal - and yes it was a great goal, but I though Dudek could have been better.

It was his positioning that let him down, he came out from his line anticipating the cross, but when it didn't come, he failed to move back to his goal, hence leaving enough room to get the ball over him!

Why was he playing anyway??? Was it benitex just messing with team selection again?

benitez promised him at the start of the season that he'd play the cup games.

as far as his performance, his positioning for all the goals was questionable at best, but the half assed defending didnt do him any favours. you cant expect a keeper to not play a proper competitive match for months on end then bring him in for a game against the calibre of opposition that arsenal are and be suprised that he's not having his best game ever.

either way it wasnt a great decision from rafa to start with dudek in goal. i understand wanting to put him in the shop window, but really even if he had a great game his value at his age would not have gone up by much at all. i doubt he was played in an attempt to show him his future lies at anfield because by all accounts he looks like he's done at the end of the season with liverpool. so i dont know. i dont like to see goalkeepers on good form rotated, ever. no need for a thread on the matter tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

I'm not sure Dudek could have done much with Arsenal and Rosicky's second goal, but I thought he could have done better for the other two.

The first practically went over his head. The ball didn't exactly end up just under the crossbar or right in the corner, so it was very saveable if his positioning had been better I feel.

The third was a weak shot by Henry and I would expect a top class keeper to get down to that ball quicker than Dudek did. Very surprising and disappointing and makes you wonder...

Dudek was a hero in Istanbul. I'm sure he's pissed off at the situation where's he perpetually playing second fiddle to Reina. I thought it was unfair that he didn't get a run of games when Reina went through a horror spell early on this season. I'd say he's just going through the motions until his contract runs out. Bad man management here by Benitez IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Bateman wrote:
    Thought this might deserve a thread of its own. Dudek was absolutely terrible for all 3 Arsenal goals.

Everyone was terrible for the whole game bar Kyut who maybe was ok.

Can't think of a single Liverpool player who did well. Gerrard and Alonso were crap and outplayed by Gilberto and Flamini who aren't nearly the same footballers. Liverpool were slow and ponderous all over the pitch. It's been pretty much proven that if you crash into Arsenal and kick them around a bit they can go off the boil(and I'm an Arsenal fan) but I didn't see one tough Liverpool challenge all night.

Liverpool's plan for the game was 'We are at home therefore we should win' so they deservedly lost.

Good luck against the B-team tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I'd blame Dudek for the last 2 definitely, the first one was just a great goal.

The 3rd one was nearly as bad as Kiraly's slip up against United at the weekend. IMO of course!

Advertisement